The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:21am
Do not give a damn!!

ESPN are a bunch of idiots too!!!!!

I am watching the College Gameday program on ESPN after as they are reviewing the Georgetown-Vanderbilt game. Then Doug Gotlieb as usual opens his dumb pie hole trying to tell the public about calls he knows nothing about. Doug G says the last play was a travel because the ball handler switched pivot feet.

Doug Gotlieb is a completely stupid guy. For one, if there was a travel, "IT WAS NOT BECAUSE HE SWITCHED PIVOT FEET." The only way there could be a travel if you say the right foot (which was the pivot foot) was moved and you can make a case he was pushed. You can always pick up the pivot foot to shoot and pass (which by the way was the explanation CBS gave me over the phone). When are these guys going to ever pick up a rulebook and actually read it? When?

Peace
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Idiots!

I know J. That Doug Gottleib is a snot nosed pretty boy that doesn't know much as he thinks he does. That move is very similar to what we see on the womens side all day long with the up and under move. Everyone screams travel on that move too, and the officials did an EXCELLENT job of holding the whistle and knowing when the player regained control of the ball, and when he pushed off the right foot, he can then step off the left as long as he didn't replant the right WHICH HE DIDN"T!

Applause to the crew...booooo to ESPN and CBS.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am watching the College Gameday program on ESPN after as they are reviewing the Georgetown-Vanderbilt game. Then Doug Gotlieb as usual opens his dumb pie hole trying to tell the public about calls he knows nothing about. Doug G says the last play was a travel because the ball handler switched pivot feet.

Doug Gotlieb is a completely stupid guy. For one, if there was a travel, "IT WAS NOT BECAUSE HE SWITCHED PIVOT FEET." The only way there could be a travel if you say the right foot (which was the pivot foot) was moved and you can make a case he was pushed. You can always pick up the pivot foot to shoot and pass (which by the way was the explanation CBS gave me over the phone). When are these guys going to ever pick up a rulebook and actually read it? When?

Peace
This is, of course, the downside of technology. We now have the capability to slow down, freeze, and replay forever and find a reason to overturn a call or bash an official. And officials are just as hard on other officials as fans are.

Case in point was the Oden foul in the Xavier game. None of the game announcers, sportswriters, or the Xavier coach made much more of the foul than what it was, a foul. Yet officials on this forum wanted an intentional foul called based, solely, on replays and youtube video.

No call or decision by an official can be judged in a vacuum. Instant replay in football does no one any good if the play has to be viewed ad nauseum until a decision can be reached. It serves only to slow the game down.

Whether there was travelling or not by Georgetown is a non issue since no official at the highest level of the NCAA would make that call based on a real time view. It is only controversial when it is slowed down and even then you have a debate.

As officials we need to advocate and educate the media on not only the rules but how we apply them, i/e what constitutes a block/charge call in basketball, what kind of tag in baseball always means an out, how is interference in football judged...etc.

CBS's example of the Georgetown travel was unfair to the crew working the game.....we need to make sure that kind of distortion is avoided in the future
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:35am

Rut you beat me to it. That was incredible to listen to. I think he said some variation of his "switching the pivot foot" theme about five times. If it was a travel it wasn't for whatever he was trying to say. Here's a link for anyone who wants to let Doug know what a great job he did. What a maroon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/...contact/espntv

Last edited by sj; Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 12:38am.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
This is, of course, the downside of technology. We now have the capability to slow down, freeze, and replay forever and find a reason to overturn a call or bash an official. And officials are just as hard on other officials as fans are.

Case in point was the Oden foul in the Xavier game. None of the game announcers, sportswriters, or the Xavier coach made much more of the foul than what it was, a foul. Yet officials on this forum wanted an intentional foul called based, solely, on replays and youtube video.

No call or decision by an official can be judged in a vacuum. Instant replay in football does no one any good if the play has to be viewed ad nauseum until a decision can be reached. It serves only to slow the game down.

Whether there was travelling or not by Georgetown is a non issue since no official at the highest level of the NCAA would make that call based on a real time view. It is only controversial when it is slowed down and even then you have a debate.

As officials we need to advocate and educate the media on not only the rules but how we apply them, i/e what constitutes a block/charge call in basketball, what kind of tag in baseball always means an out, how is interference in football judged...etc.

CBS's example of the Georgetown travel was unfair to the crew working the game.....we need to make sure that kind of distortion is avoided in the future
Some GREAT points....

If the play had been called a travel, I wonder if that official would have been torn a new you-know-what by the observer for making a ticky-tack call.

Think about the ACTUAL situation - a lightning fast sequence of events involving some of the quickest athletes in the country - pressure situation in the last seconds of a game, in front of 20,000 people, and on national TV.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

Peace
Rut that is an excellent and accurate post. The right foot did slide a bit after he recovered the ball and began his move, but as you noted there was some contact from behind at that point. The pivot foot was twisting anyway and it pretty much stayed in the same location on the floor.

Now I would like to hear more details about your calling CBS on the phone!
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 02:57pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
No call or decision by an official can be judged in a vacuum.
Except, of course, when you post a picture of Oden and want all of us to condemn the officials for not calling a holding foul his opponent.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

There's hope for ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaato...t&lid=tab1pos2

by Andy Katz

You can argue that Green traveled, if you'd like, although one person I know who has officiated e-mailed me Friday night and said a player is allowed to "alight" on his non-pivot foot to shoot or pass. There could be a debate over whether his right foot slipped a little, causing a violation, but in stepping through the Commodores' double-team, Green executed a textbook move to complete the play. Green says he didn't travel. If anything, he said, "I probably got pushed and they didn't call it."
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 08:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Curiously, has Bilas commented on this?
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

i thought the same thing when i saw the highlights and commented to a friend of mine to never listen to a talking head on TV when it comes to rules. so i gave him JR and Nevada's phone number when they want rule clarification.

that was a great no-call and Doug G needs to appologize for being an idiot and then slow dance with old school during a 4th grade girls preseason exhbition game half time. now i would pay $.46 to see that.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Except, of course, when you post a picture of Oden and want all of us to condemn the officials for not calling a holding foul his opponent.
Except for the fact that is not what I "asked".
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 09:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Except for the fact that is not what I "asked".
Really? We all must have just read this comment wrongly. Gee, our bad.

Quote:
The play in the picture was a no call just seconds before the Oden foul no one was shy about calling an intentional foul.

I repeat the question,,,,if you are going to call an intentional foul based on pictures, then explain how this one was missed?