The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Each play needs to be evaluated on it's own. HTBT.

If I determine it's intentional, I'll call a kicked ball. If I have to explain my call to a player or coach, if asked, I will.

If I determine it's not intentional, I'll hold my whistle, and explain that call too - if asked.

I'm not "pole vaulting mouse turds" here. Moving on.........
It's someone asking how to interpret a rule, which is certainly reasonable and creates discussion. If it's not of any value to you, why respond?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:00am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
It's someone asking how to interpret a rule, which is certainly reasonable and creates discussion. If it's not of any value to you, why respond?
Smitty - I'm not saying the conversation is not of value. I'm saying, like everything else we interpret, on this call, the official, in their mind, needs to determine if it's intentional contact, or not. Once that is done, make the call and be done with it.

When did a person close their legs and why? Before or after a pass?

Was it intentional contact or not - that is the question the official needs to determine?

Me, I am of the mind that a person can close their legs, before a pass, and the ball can hit their leg, and I can hold my whistle. If asked, I can explain it....and the game can move forward.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
As Smitty said, why did you bring your legs together? It appears you did it because you figured out that's where the ball was going to be passed which means you (wait for it) intended to do it.

i was crouched over leaning forward. when i saw him bring his arm back to pass, my first instinct was to close the 5 hole. i stood up and closed my legs. it wasnt like he did this all in one motion in .001 seconds.

he brought the ball back one handed (in my mind to make a bounce pass) he wasnt going around me and i heard someone cut behind me so my instinct was to close my legs. just as i closed my legs he still tried to pass the ball. which hit my shin/kneecap

again, this is a mens pickup league, we arent playing life and death or winner advances to the state tourney but there are always arguments as to what is a kick or what is a travel on an airball etc.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In the same situation, if the defender jumped with their legs spread and the pass hit the front of the thigh of the defender, would you also have no violation?
Did the ball strike the thigh or did the thigh strike the ball (and, if so, did the player intentionally strike the ball with the thigh)?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeps View Post
I don't mean to sound like I'm asking over and over hoping to get to hear what I want. I'm no ref but to me if a player closes his legs and then the defender still throws the ball in an attempt to go through his legs this to me would be a bad pass, not an intentional kick

Had he thrown the pass then I closed my legs that would be cut and dry as a kick

Thanks for the input

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Putting your legs together is not a proper defensive stance, why would you do that?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

well, im 45 and old

while its not proper it was to block a pass from going between my legs, i had my arms and hands ready to deflect a pass to either side
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Did the ball strike the thigh or did the thigh strike the ball (and, if so, did the player intentionally strike the ball with the thigh)?
I think you and I have a different idea of what determines intention. In this scenario, I don't think it matters whether the ball strikes the thigh or the thigh strikes the ball. You're splitting hairs. What matters (to me) is whether the defender was attempting to defend using their legs when the ball struck the leg. Once the ball comes in contact with any part of the leg at that point, it's a kicking violation (to me).
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you and I have a different idea of what determines intention. In this scenario, I don't think it matters whether the ball strikes the thigh or the thigh strikes the ball. You're splitting hairs. What matters (to me) is whether the defender was attempting to defend using their legs when the ball struck the leg. Once the ball comes in contact with any part of the leg at that point, it's a kicking violation (to me).
what exactly constitutes the leg, is it shin down. or from the waist down? (honest question)
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
what exactly constitutes the leg, is it shin down. or from the waist down? (honest question)
The exact wording is in the rule book, which I don't have on me at the moment. But it extends all the way up the leg - thigh included. I believe it used to be more restrictive several years ago, but I don't recall the exact wording of the older rule either.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The exact wording is in the rule book, which I don't have on me at the moment. But it extends all the way up the leg - thigh included. I believe it used to be more restrictive several years ago, but I don't recall the exact wording of the older rule either.
if you have played pickup i am sure you run into this just the same as we do. so basically if a player gets hit in the nether regions, since it hits part of the leg that would be considered to be a kick?

we have played in the past it is the knee down
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
if you have played pickup i am sure you run into this just the same as we do. so basically if a player gets hit in the nether regions, since it hits part of the leg that would be considered to be a kick?

If the ball hits you in the nuts, that's just good defense. No violation there, although you may feel like you were violated in a different way.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
well, im 45 and old

while its not proper it was to block a pass from going between my legs, i had my arms and hands ready to deflect a pass to either side
So the bolded part should answer your question as to whether or not it was a kick.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So the bolded part should answer your question as to whether or not it was a kick.
.....if i had moved my knees together while the pass was in the air.

however i closed my legs before the ball left his hand
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No one intentionally moves the "nether regions" to get hit.

The rule used to be "knee down" -- it's been any part of the leg for more than just a few years now.

You intentionally moved your feet to "play defense on the ball" -- that's a violation.

And, while there is some room for interpretation on this, no one here was there to see it. And, if you have no refs, you're going to get a "discussion" during the game.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What should matter to you is what the rule says. If the defender does not intentionally strike the ball, it cannot be a kick.

I don't know what you mean by "attempting to defend using their legs." Do you mean by actively moving their legs? Or is it a certain leg position?

We have a specific definition for kicking. Let's use that.