The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

UNC vs. FSU Tech

Was this properly administered?

Maybe 14:00 minutes left in the 2nd. I apologize for not having the accurate time.

Situation - Foul on FSU big man, after the foul, FSU big man slaps the ball into the stands, easy technical foul. When they came back from a media TO, UNC shot 4 free throws, 2 for the foul and 2 for the technical, with no players lined up on the free throw lane lines. After the 4 free throws, UNC took the ball opposite table side at the division line.

Did I miss something while watching, that allowed the officials to administer the penalty that way? The FSU coaching staff never questioned the administration of it all, so I am thinking I missed something.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 08:49pm
beware big brother

No they screwed it up big time. It was a shooting foul, fouled by a class A technical foul. Should have been two shots for technical followed by two shots for the shooting foul with the players lined up to rebound. This was not a contact dead ball technical, so UNC should not have received the ball, and they shot the free throws in the wrong order too.

Somebody not going to be happy when they hear from the assignor on that one!
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 08:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Was the ball in an opponent's hand when it was slapped away?
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the foul and the T called. I then flipped the channel. Did not see how it was administered. I agree with Johnny on how it should have been administered. It was not a dead ball contact T or a flagrant 2 technical..extreme. (can't imagine they called it that). Run of the mill Class A. Two shots and go to POI.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

I don't believe it was in anyone's hands. They showed just the end of it when they came back from commercial and I believe the ball was bouncing on the floor.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No, I don't think so. He did hit the ball into sideline stands but more out of his own frustration. Still a T because you just can't do it but not extreme etc to toss him.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
No, I don't think so. He did hit the ball into sideline stands but more out of his own frustration. Still a T because you just can't do it but not extreme etc to toss him.
I ask because if it was a contact technical foul the ball would be thrown in at the division line after all the free throws. Or they screwed it up.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I ask because if it was a contact technical foul the ball thrown in at the division line after all the free throws

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Yes. I didn't see any contact and certainly didn't think it was flagrant(other reason for division line throw in)...we are left w the "screw up" option. It happens...even though it shouldn't....
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

The exact time is 15:31 in the second half.

They screwed this one up. It was not a contact dead ball T.

Not sure how this crew at this level can mess that one up.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:32pm
beware big brother

Quote:
No, nobody had possession of the ball when he slapped it.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:33pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I saw the foul and the T called. I then flipped the channel. Did not see how it was administered. I agree with Johnny on how it should have been administered. It was not a dead ball contact T or a flagrant 2 technical..extreme. (can't imagine they called it that). Run of the mill Class A. Two shots and go to POI.
Wasn't a ff2. The player came back into the game a few minutes later.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
The exact time is 15:31 in the second half.

They screwed this one up. It was not a contact dead ball T.

Not sure how this crew at this level can mess that one up.
Wow. Must be working too many NFHS games in their spare time because that's exactly how you would administer this....in a high school game.

Ouch.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Wow. Must be working too many NFHS games in their spare time because that's exactly how you would administer this....in a high school game.

Ouch.
And how you would administer this if it was a contact dead ball T. But it wasn't, and I'm perplexed how it was missed.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

I'm going to take this a step further just to see how to handle it.

Lets say they do exactly as they did in the opening post, which we can all agree, was incorrect. After the last free throw, the FSU coach figures out something isn't quite right about the administration of this and questions the officials on it. At this point the officials figure out that the technical foul shots should of been taken first and then we go back to POI.

Would this be an instance where you would go to the alternating possession arrow to deem who would have the ball? Also, the free throws for the shooting foul, their were no defensive players in the lower block. Another thing, what if Roy Williams did not want that player shooting the technical foul shots, but due to mis application of the rule, that is who shot.

I'm just wondering how to get out of this situation if it ever gets this far? I don't want the answer, "Do it the right way, the first time." I have no idea on how to correct all this, but I have a feeling someone on this board probably knows the correct application.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
I'm going to take this a step further just to see how to handle it.

Lets say they do exactly as they did in the opening post, which we can all agree, was incorrect. After the last free throw, the FSU coach figures out something isn't quite right about the administration of this and questions the officials on it. At this point the officials figure out that the technical foul shots should of been taken first and then we go back to POI.

Would this be an instance where you would go to the alternating possession arrow to deem who would have the ball? Also, the free throws for the shooting foul, their were no defensive players in the lower block. Another thing, what if Roy Williams did not want that player shooting the technical foul shots, but due to mis application of the rule, that is who shot.

I'm just wondering how to get out of this situation if it ever gets this far? I don't want the answer, "Do it the right way, the first time." I have no idea on how to correct all this, but I have a feeling someone on this board probably knows the correct application.
All the merited free throws were shot, so no correctable error. Even if they shot the T in the wrong sequence, UNC still chose the player to shoot those free throws, so no disadvantage to them.

If the 2nd free throw from the original foul was successful, give Team B the ball with the ability to run the end line. If the 2nd free throw was unsuccessful go to the AP arrow.

I have no real rule book basis for my answer.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 06, 2016 at 08:50am.