The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

is this considered a Kick in basketball

the offensive player has the ball and begins the motion to make a one handed pass.

the defender closes his legs to stop the ball from going through. does not extend his feet. the only movement he makes is closing his knees together

the offensive player throws the ball and hits the defender and defender gathers the ball and goes the other way.

is that a kick?
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeps View Post
... the defender closes his legs to stop the ball from going through ...
Yes. A kick is defined as intentionally striking the ball with your leg.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Yes. A kick is defined as intentionally striking the ball with your leg.
Even if the defender closes his legs before the pass is made?

Mind you the offensive player threw the ball at the defenders legs, the defenders feet never moved
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even if the defender closes his legs before the pass is made?
I suppose I'd have to see it, but if the legs are already closed like this before the pass is even made, that's a no-call for me. It is, however, up to the official's judgment whether the ball's contact with the leg was the result of an intentional act.

The second part you keep mentioning about "the feet never moved" is entirely irrelevant. A kick needn't be done with your feet. It is intentionally striking the ball with any part of your leg.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

This is a men's pick up league so no refs (call your own fouls ) so as you can imagine this leads to plenty of arguments.

In this case I'm the defender and as the offensive brought his arm back to make the pass I closed my legs before his release. To me this is not a kick as I was standing there and he threw the pass (being a one handed pass he could t stop the pass once his arm started moving forward)
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

As described here I have a kick ball violation.

You tried to stop the pass and in doing so intentionally struck the ball with your legs. Seems fairly simple to me and you are not going to get the benefit of the doubt when you "close your legs to stop the ball."
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Even if the legs are closed before the pass? This is where the argument happened. I could see if he makes the pass between my legs and then I closed them. To me that's no argument.

Offensive player even said I closed my legs before the ball left his hand but there was nothing he could do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

You can keep asking the same question and my guess is that over 9 out of 10 officials here is going to here what you are describing and think that its a violation.

When you say, "the defender closes his legs to stop the ball" its pretty simple. Doesnt matter when the ball was released. As you described it with your own words it sounds like a clear case of intentionally striking the ball with your leg.

Violation. Its what the vast majority of refs would call in our college, HS, or rec league games. And its what is going to get called in a pick up league.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

I don't mean to sound like I'm asking over and over hoping to get to hear what I want. I'm no ref but to me if a player closes his legs and then the defender still throws the ball in an attempt to go through his legs this to me would be a bad pass, not an intentional kick

Had he thrown the pass then I closed my legs that would be cut and dry as a kick

Thanks for the input

Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't mean to sound like I'm asking over and over hoping to get to hear what I want. I'm no ref but to me if a player closes his legs and then the defender still throws the ball in an attempt to go through his legs this to me would be a bad pass, not an intentional kick

Had he thrown the pass then I closed my legs that would be cut and dry as a kick

Thanks for the input

Sure, maybe if you really closed your legs before the pass it isn't a kick. But I would argue it is extremely rare for this to happen. Most times you are reacting to the pass and that reaction is going to come as the ball is being released.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Why did you close your legs at that point? This makes no sense to me unless you knew he was going to try and pass through your legs (maybe he did this earlier in the game) and you were defending against it.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In this case I'm the defender and as the offensive brought his arm back to make the pass I closed my legs before his release.
As Smitty said, why did you bring your legs together? It appears you did it because you figured out that's where the ball was going to be passed which means you (wait for it) intended to do it.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

I'm willing to be the contrarian here.

Quote:
Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot.
If the defender closed his legs and then the ball handler throw the ball against his legs, there is no kicking violation.

Further, I think it's a stretch to convert closing legs to intentionally striking the ball. So, without the defender moving his legs towards the ball, I don't see how you could describe that as striking the ball as opposed to the ball striking the player, which is not a kicking violation.

So, as described in the OP (legs closed then pass) you cannot possibly have a kicking violation. If, as is more likely, the order was actually the reverse of that, you probably didn't have a violation as the ball likely struck the leg rather than the leg striking the ball.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I'm willing to be the contrarian here.

If the defender closed his legs and then the ball handler throw the ball against his legs, there is no kicking violation.

Further, I think it's a stretch to convert closing legs to intentionally striking the ball. So, without the defender moving his legs towards the ball, I don't see how you could describe that as striking the ball as opposed to the ball striking the player, which is not a kicking violation.

So, as described in the OP (legs closed then pass) you cannot possibly have a kicking violation. If, as is more likely, the order was actually the reverse of that, you probably didn't have a violation as the ball likely struck the leg rather than the leg striking the ball.
In the same situation, if the defender jumped with their legs spread and the pass hit the front of the thigh of the defender, would you also have no violation?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 07:44am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Each play needs to be evaluated on it's own. HTBT.

If I determine it's intentional, I'll call a kicked ball. If I have to explain my call to a player or coach, if asked, I will.

If I determine it's not intentional, I'll hold my whistle, and explain that call too - if asked.

I'm not "pole vaulting mouse turds" here. Moving on.........