The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

When is it considered a Legal Catch??

The leftfielder misjudges a fly ball and and takes his cap off and catches a fly ball. Is this a legal catch or does the ball have to be transferred to the glove or hand to be a legal catch? If less than two out, and a runner on base, when can the runner tag up legally to advance?

..In the heat of competition....You can't rationalize with irrational Coaches.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming he secures the ball in flight with his hat, this is not a catch - it is considered "detatched equipment". Since it was a batted ball, the B/R is awarded three bases. The ball also remains live at the moment of the detatched equipment infraction. As for the tag up question, this does not apply since the ball is not considered to have been legally caught.

Last edited by Sal Giaco; Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 01:10pm.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Slow day huh,

The ball in the cap would not be a catch . . . it would be detached player equipment and a three base award.

Anytime a fielder touches a "ball in flight" runners can advance at the first touch by the fielder.

Regards,
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshock
The leftfielder misjudges a fly ball and and takes his cap off and catches a fly ball. Is this a legal catch or does the ball have to be transferred to the glove or hand to be a legal catch? If less than two out, and a runner on base, when can the runner tag up legally to advance?
It's not legal for a fielder to use (intentionally) other parts of his equipment to make a catch. It's not a catch and the runner need not "tag up." In fact, all runners will be awarded three bases (althought the ball will remain live so BR can attemtp for home, if he so chooses).

(If it were a catch, the runner can leave the base as soon as the ball is touched.)
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

On a 3-base award any runner would score.

To answer the implied question: on an ordinary fly ball, the runner may retouch ("tag up") as soon as a fielder touches the ball (regardless of when he actually secures possession of it).
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

I always knew Madonna made a mistake...
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

If the ball remains live after it is caught in a hat, what is the signal, if any, for that particular scenario and when does the ball become dead and the award made?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not totally sure on this because it's never happened and don't remember ever being trained on it.....

I would probably point at it and verbally say "that's detached equipment" - then I would give the safe mechanic and say "no catch, no catch".
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliix
If the ball remains live after it is caught in a hat, what is the signal, if any, for that particular scenario and when does the ball become dead and the award made?

I agree with the mechanic that Sal mentioned. To answer your second question, the ball remains live and in play until all playing action stops. A runner advances passed his award base at his own risk.

Tim.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 08:45pm

The closest thing I've ever had to it was this past season during my sojourn into Little League Baseball (big mistake, not going to repeat it).

I had a left fielder throw his glove at the ball and hit it. I pointed at it, yelled "that's detached equipment," and waited until the dust settled. Of course, nobody heard me yelling this, since all the little rascals were running around the bases, with all the mommies and daddies yelling and screaming, so I had to wait.

The batter had made it to 2nd, so I announced "That is detached equipment since the left fielder threw his glove and hit the ball, that is a 3 base award for all runners, you (R3) score, you (BR) 3rd base."

It was the first detached equipment violation I ever had in 20+ years of this. That's what I get for working Little League, I suppose.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

I saw an MLB ump call detached equipment on the Dodger's a few years ago. The pitch came in and got away from the catcher about 2 feet. F2 took off his helmet and scooped the ball back toward him. U3 called time, presumably said something like "that's detached equipment," and advanced the runners one base.

Naturally, the announcers couldn't figure out what had happened, and had to ask their ballpark contact to explain it.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Note: on detached equipment plays, the ball is live
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Note: on detached equipment plays, the ball is live
Are you sure?

Tim.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 05:23pm