The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

I hate that we are in an age where people with a cheap cell phone camera and a free youtube account can film a video clip like this and post it to the internet for the intention of embarrassing an official.

The officials on this game are clearly not working high level basketball (no offense to the OP's daughter, but the OP should check his level of humility, too), and are certainly not at a level where it is fair for them to be humiliated on the internet.

Missed call? Yes. But there were probably at least 20 others in that game alone.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We even had a missed BC violation.

No comment about the main topic; this whole thread is depressing.

But! No BC violation. It was close, but we had a dribbler and the ball never went back after finally gaining FC status. The last bounce before the ball came over touched the division line which is part of the BC. Or at least it was so close that I wouldn't have been 100% to make a call, especially right after a turnover like that where I'm not in a credible position to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I hate that we are in an age where people with a cheap cell phone camera and a free youtube account can film a video clip like this and post it to the internet for the intention of embarrassing an official.

The officials on this game are clearly not working high level basketball (no offense to the OP's daughter, but the OP should check his level of humility, too), and are certainly not at a level where it is fair for them to be humiliated on the internet.

Missed call? Yes. But there were probably at least 20 others in that game alone.
Some legit points, but there's way more good than harm. You aren't really an official unless you are on youtube with 10k+ views blowing a call.

After every game I go to the AD and ask if they record the game. If so, I ask if I could get a copy of it. I get at least 70% of my games on video and watch them. If it wasn't for this strategy there's no way I'd be as good as I am. There's plenty of times I watch and go think how did I screw that call up so bad. We all screw up plays, and sometimes pretty badly.

I take zero offense to knowing those schools also see me blow the call and go, "Get a load of this clown!" All part of the job, shake it off.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

But! No BC violation. It was close, but we had a dribbler and the ball never went back after finally gaining FC status. The last bounce before the ball came over touched the division line which is part of the BC. Or at least it was so close that I wouldn't have been 100% to make a call, especially right after a turnover like that where I'm not in a credible position to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, I don't think any good official is going to call a BC here and be happy about their call. The dribble with team control and front court status hits MAYBE BC and there's no way to be certain. Even in slow motion.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Some legit points, but there's way more good than harm. You aren't really an official unless you are on youtube with 10k+ views blowing a call.

After every game I go to the AD and ask if they record the game. If so, I ask if I could get a copy of it. I get at least 70% of my games on video and watch them. If it wasn't for this strategy there's no way I'd be as good as I am. There's plenty of times I watch and go think how did I screw that call up so bad. We all screw up plays, and sometimes pretty badly.

I take zero offense to knowing those schools also see me blow the call and go, "Get a load of this clown!" All part of the job, shake it off.
I get film from every game I work, and I break down every play. If I get on YouTube, so be it. I'm at a level where I'm comfortable with that fact and will continue to work games. but there is a level where we all begin. The people in the video look like rookies and it is not appropriate for some fan to film the game, clip one play, and post that play on the Internet and this forum looking for people to criticize and humiliate. Everyone started by working a lower level. I'm lucky that YouTube wasn't this popular when I started. We have a shortage of officials at lower levels. This is one of the reasons ... Fans at these games are typically much morse than those at the college level. Who wants to be verbally abused for two hours and humiliated on the Internet for $25?
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrph View Post

This wrong call happened literally directly in front of the ref. The only way to miss it was with eyes closed.

I can tell you what is frustrating from a parents perspective is that most refs have zero humility, and act as if they are never ever wrong. Around here they do not answer questions.
You wont understand until you put a striped shirt on and actually try to referee. Sometimes a referee gets too close to see the whole play. sometimes the referee sees the whole play and the whistle just doesnt blow. sometimes there just not very good at it. Everybody is a great referee from the third row. If you really want to understand, go out and try it.

It may not be practical for you to actually try to referee. But what you can do, and what you should do, is take a stand against the idiot yelling at the girl bringing the ball up the floor. Parents like this ruin youth sports. It doesnt help the girl he's yelling at and im sure his own daughter doesnt think much of his yelling either.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 06:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

I think you are right, I had to slow it down to see the video. The ball looks like it is never brought back to the BC.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 06:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Word Of The Day: Hyperbole ...

It's tough to see the white division line on the light colored court. The guy who selected these colors should be shot.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I get film from every game I work, and I break down every play. If I get on YouTube, so be it. I'm at a level where I'm comfortable with that fact and will continue to work games. but there is a level where we all begin. The people in the video look like rookies and it is not appropriate for some fan to film the game, clip one play, and post that play on the Internet and this forum looking for people to criticize and humiliate. Everyone started by working a lower level. I'm lucky that YouTube wasn't this popular when I started. We have a shortage of officials at lower levels. This is one of the reasons ... Fans at these games are typically much morse than those at the college level. Who wants to be verbally abused for two hours and humiliated on the Internet for $25?
I wonder how many see it this way -- honestly curious. Coaches want me on big games and I still do full on stupid stuff.

Thread is getting goofy, but I'll end it on a comical note:

Had a pretty good 3man JV game Thursday night. Was working a JV/Varsity double header and we had a first time 3man official for the JV game. Did everything I could to make him feel comfortable with the crew. Great pregame. Got most of the officials nerves out of the way. Everyone smiling getting ready to run out. Do captains, coaches, and books... everything looking great. I go to administer the jump ball... and... put the ball down and sprint out of the gym for a whistle. Thought I'd never make this mistake but it finally happened after eight years.

Recording went straight to the assigner.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Ball was tipped away by White 4 before coming into the front court, thus it never had front court status.

I don't really see a foul by White 4 before that, but there was one by White 34 before the girls went to the floor.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

As for the foul in question, the official probably didn't get a good look at the forearm by Red 21. Looks like he might have been partially straight lined with Red21/White4
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=SAJ;971893]Ball was tipped away by White 4 before coming into the front court, thus it never had front court status.

Still team control. Red dribbles it while having FC status and what we're talking about is if the ball hit the line or not. The tip is irrelevant

I don't really see a foul by White 4 before that, but there was one by White 34 before the girls went to the floor.

That's a foul on white #4. Whether you want to call it or not is up to you.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 06:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tail-Light Guarantee ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
... and sprint out of the gym for a whistle. Thought I'd never make this mistake but it finally happened after eight years.(
Once in thirty-five years. I can't guarantee that it won't happen again.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Was Like A Pinball Game Out There ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
... the official probably didn't get a good look at the forearm by Red 21. Looks like he might have been partially straight lined with Red21/White4
Good point. He got a look, but not a good look.

Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Dad;971895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
Ball was tipped away by White 4 before coming into the front court, thus it never had front court status.

Still team control. Red dribbles it while having FC status and what we're talking about is if the ball hit the line or not. The tip is irrelevant

That's a foul on white #4. Whether you want to call it or not is up to you.
White4 puts her arm up, but I don't see any contact with it. Maybe you do.