The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

What is the rationale that "victims" (the fouled player) of Player Control (PC) fouls are not awarded free throw attempts, if bonus situation is in effect?

Is there a history behind this that I am not understanding?

[Edited by williebfree on Dec 4th, 2002 at 04:47 PM]
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 04:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

I think you mean "player control" fouls. However, I agree with you. I really don't understand the logic. Why is a foul committed by someone with the ball "less offensive" and deserving of a lesser penalty than a foul by someone on that same team (NF rule)or by someone on the defensive team (taking into consideration the new NCAA rule)?

If I crash into you when you have established and maintained legal guarding position, do I hit you "softer" if I have the ball in my hands?

Let the punishment fit the crime and let's be consistent in penalties for the same actions.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

My take...

PC fouls often involve a player who is also a shooter . The no FTs/cancel the shot provision balances the penalty with the penalty of a defensive foul: allow the bucket/award FT(s). Either side has a similar amount to gain from the incident. To send the defender to the line and cancel the shot would be a double penalty. To allow the shot would not be equitable since it wasn't made fairly.

For non-PC fouls, with FTs only awarded if in the bonus, each foul provides each offended team with the same opportunity going forward.

I think the penalties are balanced to fit the larger situation rather than based on the contact alone.

That said, I could easily justify not awarding FTs on a non-PC offensive foul. These two possibilities of rules are both valid and have reasonable arguments for being equitable.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

My guess would be that the rules committee feels that losing the ball is punishment enough and there's no need to punish again by the awarding of free throws. The NCAA has started expanding this thinking past just player control fouls and if trends continue, I wouldn't be surprised if the NFHS follows in the next few years.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Am I missing something in this explanation?

Quote:
Originally posted by whistleone
My guess would be that the rules committee feels that losing the ball is punishment enough and there's no need to punish again by the awarding of free throws. The NCAA has started expanding this thinking past just player control fouls and if trends continue, I wouldn't be surprised if the NFHS follows in the next few years.
This is not a valid assumption. For example, A1 dribbling on top of key (team and player control are maintained by Team A), A5 is called for a pushing foul against B5 under the basket (attempting to get rebounding position). If Team B is in the bonus, B5 is shooting FTs. However, if A1 is called for a PC, B1 is NOT shooting FTs.

Team fouls 1 - 6 are treated the same, but a disparity exists after the 6th foul.

[Edited by williebfree on Dec 5th, 2002 at 04:28 PM]
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rules:
Team B is in the bonus as team A has committed 10 team fouls. A1 is dribbling the ball at the top of the key. A5 is whistled for an illegal screen on B4 near the lane. Ruling: Under last year's rules, B4 would be shooting two free throws. This year, team B doesn't shoot free throws, but gets the ball out of bounds nearest the location of the foul for a spot throw-in. Rule 10-21.3 (Team control Foul)

This is what I was referring to when I made the comment about the NCAA expanding the thinking past just player control fouls. If the foul occurs during a shot by A1, it's a different story and we're shooting two on the other end.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Aaaaaah...

Whistleone..

I think I understand now what you're saying about expanded thinking.. It was in the absolute reverse of my thinking.

If I understand this correctly, NCAA is looking at making all fouls committed by the offensive team non-shooting fouls?

[Edited by williebfree on Dec 5th, 2002 at 04:38 PM]
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Willie, this is a new rule change this year. Any time a player on offense commits a foul while his/her team is in control, the penalty is merely loss of possession (no FTs). It's slightly more complicated than that, but that's the gist. These are now called "Team Control Fouls".

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

This means there are no Bonus shots if a "team control" foul occurs?
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck -
We are only talking NCAA (not HS) rule change this year!

AK ref SE
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
This means there are no Bonus shots if a "team control" foul occurs?
That's right.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by AK ref SE
Chuck -
We are only talking NCAA (not HS) rule change this year!
To quote a wise man, "That's right".
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Chuck-

Just wanted to make sure that I was playing by the right set of rules.....As I was informed in another thread that we must play by different rules in Alaska.

AK ref SE