Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=SAJ;971898]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post

White4 puts her arm up, but I don't see any contact with it. Maybe you do.
7-8 second mark you don't think there is possible contact between red21's shoulder and white4's elbow?
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 07:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post

It may not be practical for you to actually try to referee. But what you can do, and what you should do, is take a stand against the idiot yelling at the girl bringing the ball up the floor. Parents like this ruin youth sports. It doesnt help the girl he's yelling at and im sure his own daughter doesnt think much of his yelling either.
Exactly, to me that has the most negative impact of anything I saw in that video.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Dad;971900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post

7-8 second mark you don't think there is possible contact between red21's shoulder and white4's elbow?
Not from the angle of this video. Maybe from a different angle I'd be able to make a better judgement. I do see a foul on White 34 though.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 10:22pm
AremRed

It took me four viewings to see the contact the OP was talking about. During my first three viewings I thought W4 lost her balance and fell on the red player.

As JRut said....it's girls basketball.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 10:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
It took me four viewings to see the contact the OP was talking about. During my first three viewings I thought W4 lost her balance and fell on the red player.

As JRut said....it's girls basketball.
Shouldn't have taken that long.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 10:47pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrph View Post
No, I cannot explain why people watching the game say what they say.

What an odd question, and not very helpful.

This wrong call happened literally directly in front of the ref. The only way to miss it was with eyes closed.

I can tell you what is frustrating from a parents perspective is that most refs have zero humility, and act as if they are never ever wrong. Around here they do not answer questions.

In this particular case the woman ref comes over pronouncing that this "foul" was white #4's 5th foul and the removed her from the game. Turns out it was only her fourth foul and they corrected it a few minutes later, allowing her back in after critical moment of the game had transpired.

And, all four of her "fouls" were just as obviously suspect.
If you can't explain why the people watching the game say what they say then how do you expect us to explain the officials thoughts on why he called the way he did?

And without talking to the table personnel you can't blame the "woman ref" for removing W4 from the game....if the table says that's five fouls the it's on them. It's not the officials fault if the table screws up.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 10:48pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Shouldn't have taken that long.
Thank you for the feedback.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
I would like to see those other three fouls that were obviously suspect.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 11:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
No, I cannot explain why people watching the game say what they say.

What an odd question, and not very helpful.

This wrong call happened literally directly in front of the ref. The only way to miss it was with eyes closed.

I can tell you what is frustrating from a parents perspective is that most refs have zero humility, and act as if they are never ever wrong. Around here they do not answer questions.

In this particular case the woman ref comes over pronouncing that this "foul" was white #4's 5th foul and the removed her from the game. Turns out it was only her fourth foul and they corrected it a few minutes later, allowing her back in after critical moment of the game had transpired.

And, all four of her "fouls" were just as obviously suspect.
Obviously the refs were paid by red. Good grief. They missed a call.

Looks like he was close to being straightlined when the missed push happened. But frankly, if he misses that push, the right call is a foul on white. It happens.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 11:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I don't expect anything. I was hoping that a forum of officials might provide professional insight.

The comparison to fans watching a game is absurd.
It's not absurd. You may not like the comparison, but it's a natural response to being asked to explain why someone called what he did when all we get is 26 seconds. And none of us know him.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 02:24am
Aztec-Irishman

Interesting video.

Officiating is all about angles. The camera/fan has one angle;the players have their angle; the coaches have another; the officials have yet another angle.

The camera/fan angle shows a common foul on R21, "push". Therefore, Dead ball, secondary contact may be ruled incidental.

My guess (which officials should never do, but you asked for a possible explanation) appears the Trail official's angle may have not seen the push from R21 and thus only sees W4 illegally contacting R25. Just because there is a loose ball, does not allow players to contact other players illegally. Jumping on a player who has the right to a spot on the floor, if obtained legally is either a common foul or intentional foul, based on severity of contact ruled by the official.

Hopefully that helps. The next time you are enjoying the game and see something from your angle, ask yourself what angle do the officials have. We hope they "move to improve" and get the calls right.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

I'm not convinced red 21 actually pushed. Was the arm out there? Yes. Was there contact, probably. I think the white 34 was already going down on top of the other player either way. I think white 34 was tripping over red 25's knee. The arm from red 21 was just incidental to what was already happening.

Could a foul have been called on 4? Sure. But I wouldn't declare it to be incorrect for the lack of a call.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=xyrph;971824]Foul is called on White #4:

Explanation?

Please tell me this isn't a varsity game!

With as well as this game is being played, I'm sure its hard to imagine the officials wouldn't be perfect. rolleyes:
Can you explain why your coach has 23 handling the ball... ever?

Lets pick apart more of the video:

1. Marginal contact on W4 by R8 (hold).
2. Marginal contact on R21 by R4 (hit)
3. Marginal contact by W34 on R21 (hit/push)
4. Contact by R21 on W4 (push: "but she started it")
5. Look at the clock: Does anyone see those player numbers in the game during this play... are they're really only four players on the floor for the guess team?
6. That same table probably got the number of fouls wrong - you may want to check the score also or just go work the table...
7. W4 laying on top of a player is always a no-no.

Q. Is the new lead DBO from the bleachers?
C: That girl definitely needs get her own uniform and stop borrowing her dads.
C. Good push-foul mechanic by T
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

- #4 in white is the OP's Daughter.

- This was a pre-season jamboree/scrimmage. Might explain the lax attire of the officials.

- I thought it was just in my neck of the woods that high school girls basketball was brutal to watch.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2015, 03:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ref View Post
- #4 in white is the OP's Daughter.

- This was a pre-season jamboree/scrimmage. Might explain the lax attire of the officials.

- I thought it was just in my neck of the woods that high school girls basketball was brutal to watch.
Thanks for the info. Also might explain the rather inexperienced appearance of the young lady.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk