The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

'Non-compliance' as they relate to uniform/equipment policies will be a continual issue across the nation. As playing equipment evolves there will be more 'devices' that blur the distinction between "equipment" and "fashion accessories". All of which will need to be adjudicated upon to determine it's compliance. Back in the day when I played varsity hoop, no one ever wore arm sleeves (shooting sleeves) or ballerina leotards. But then again, I'm a dinosaur who used to wear those white puffy knee pads.

I just know that last week I did an 8th grade boys game we noticed during warmups that a player had on gray leotards when all other teammates were wearing black ones. My partner--who was more senior than I said that "since this is just 8th grade I'm not going to call them out on the color violation". I then replied to him, "well I think we should notify coach of this player's uniform non-compliance". He begrudgingly said "well, OK, if 'you' want to you can go tell the coach about it". This set us off on a sideways tone for the game because I know he viewed me as not wanting to follow his lead--I could sense that he was a bit miffed by my assertion. But, I thought of the bigger picture: somewhere in those stands there could be my Association evaluator --it could go downhill fast from there if he saw me kicking a rule, and then I attempt to rationalize it by saying "well, my partner said it was just 8th grade and not varsity so we let them play".
In the end, I told coach, and he had the player just take off the gray leotards.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 05:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Catharsis ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I would spend more time worrying about the shot clock or back court rules.
There's nothing to see here folks. It's just a crazy referee venting. Move along. Keep moving.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 05:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Or, Maybe The Players Are Trying To Get Away With Something ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I just don't get why it is so hard for them to understand.
Maybe because the coaches don't tell their players the equipment rules (maybe because the coaches don't know the equipment rules, or don't fully understand the equipment rules).

And then, of course, there's the inconsistent enforcement issue, which has already been discussed above, and we all know who to blame for that.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." (Pogo, Walt Kelly, 1971)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 08, 2015 at 05:54pm.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I just don't get why it is so hard for them to understand.
Read the whole thread and you might get why some coaches "don't understand"
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post
Read the whole thread and you might get why some coaches "don't understand"
One of the best posts written on this forum in years.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Our association made this adaptation (that I wasn't aware of until last night):
http://ighsau.org/wp-content/uploads...Adaptation.pdf

NFHS Basketball Rule 3-5 Team Member’s Equipment, Apparel
Modify Rule 3-5-3c to the following:
All sleeves/tights shall be the same solid color.
Modify Rule 3-5-4 to the following:
a. Anything worn in the hair (including headbands as shown in Figure “C” below) must be soft and
unadorned but may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates. The 2-inch
maximum width provision for headbands will be waived, and headbands with extensions as shown in
Figure “A” below will be permitted.
b. Protective soft headgear as shown in Figure “B” below will be permitted provided the headgear is not
abrasive, hard, or dangerous to any other player and which is attached in such a way it is highly unlikely it
will come off during play.
c. Bobby pins 2” or less will be allowed.
d. Wristbands may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates, but must be
made of moisture-absorbing material.
e. Silicone and rubber bracelets, rubber bands, bandanas, etc., are illegal as they are not moisture-absorbing
or appropriate for the game of basketball.
NFHS Basketball Rule 3-6 Logo/Trademark/Reference
Modify Rule 3-6-1 to the following:
One visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference or school logo/mascot is permitted on the compression shorts,
arm and leg compression sleeves, and wristbands. Multiple manufacturer’s logos/trademarks/references and/or
school logos/mascots are permitted on the headbands as shown in Figures “D” and “E” below.

So now..... rather than the simple "everything the same for everybody," rule, it's headbands can be different, the ninja turtles are okay. Here's the annoying part-- 3-5-3c All sleeves/tights shall be the same solid color. But wristbands can be multi colored and different colors for everybody, unless I'm reading it wrong.

I'm frustrated with our association's decision to make these changes.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Our association made this adaptation (that I wasn't aware of until last night):

http://ighsau.org/wp-content/uploads...Adaptation.pdf

NFHS Basketball Rule 3-5 Team Member’s Equipment, Apparel

Modify Rule 3-5-3c to the following:

All sleeves/tights shall be the same solid color.

Modify Rule 3-5-4 to the following:

a. Anything worn in the hair (including headbands as shown in Figure “C” below) must be soft and

unadorned but may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates. The 2-inch

maximum width provision for headbands will be waived, and headbands with extensions as shown in

Figure “A” below will be permitted.

b. Protective soft headgear as shown in Figure “B” below will be permitted provided the headgear is not

abrasive, hard, or dangerous to any other player and which is attached in such a way it is highly unlikely it

will come off during play.

c. Bobby pins 2” or less will be allowed.

d. Wristbands may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates, but must be

made of moisture-absorbing material.

e. Silicone and rubber bracelets, rubber bands, bandanas, etc., are illegal as they are not moisture-absorbing

or appropriate for the game of basketball.

NFHS Basketball Rule 3-6 Logo/Trademark/Reference

Modify Rule 3-6-1 to the following:

One visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference or school logo/mascot is permitted on the compression shorts,

arm and leg compression sleeves, and wristbands. Multiple manufacturer’s logos/trademarks/references and/or

school logos/mascots are permitted on the headbands as shown in Figures “D” and “E” below.

So now..... rather than the simple "everything the same for everybody," rule, it's headbands can be different, the ninja turtles are okay. Here's the annoying part-- 3-5-3c All sleeves/tights shall be the same solid color. But wristbands can be multi colored and different colors for everybody, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Why do these exceptions only apply to girls basketball??

And with a bunch of MEN interpreting the 2" Bobby pin restriction, you could end up with some rather LARGE 2" Bobby pins.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post

And with a bunch of MEN interpreting the 2" Bobby pin restriction, you could end up with some rather LARGE 2" Bobby pins.
Good question. I'm really tempted to launch a passive-aggressive protest and not enforce any equipment rules (other than the hard materials), and tell the coaches they can email the association with their complaints.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 10:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Because girls and boys are governed separately in Iowa. And apparently in a really weird way.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Because girls and boys are governed separately in Iowa. And apparently in a really weird way.

Ahhh, yes, do they still start a girls basketball game with a coin flip there in Iowa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ahhh, yes, do they still start a girls basketball game with a coin flip there in Iowa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We used to. Now we jump 'em.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Than you for caring coach, and for, at least, making an attempt to instruct your players properly. If all my local coaches would take the few minutes that you took to instruct their players, we wouldn't have as many of the fashion problems that we have.

Here are the rules in a nutshell:

Headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, and tights, shall be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the jersey, and the same color for each item, and all participants. Anything worn on the arm, and/or the leg (except a knee brace), is defined as a sleeve. Only a single item may be worn on the head (with no extensions), and/or on each wrist. Sweatbands must be worn below the elbow. Rubber, cloth, or elastic bands, of any color, may be used to control hair. Undershirts must be similar in color to the uniform jersey, and shall not have frayed, or ragged edges.

(Note: I would rather not discuss compression shorts. The NFHS has really muddied the water on that piece of equipment.)

In a perfect world, the following would occur immediately after the head coach passes out the uniforms:

Setting: A high school locker room. Socks, and towels, are strewn around on the floor. There's a slight smell of perspiration in the air.

Coach: Our home uniform jerseys are white. If you want to wear an undershirt at home, it must be a white undershirt. As the coach I'm telling you now, that if you want to wear headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, or tights, I have unilaterally decided that they must be solid black. No other color choices. Period. Also, headbands can't have extensions, I don't want my players looking like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Capiche?

Players: Yes Coach.

Coach: Our road uniform jerseys are blue. If you want to wear an undershirt on the road, it must be a blue undershirt. As the coach I'm telling you now, that if you want to wear headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, or tights, I have unilaterally decided that they must be solid black. No other color choices. Period. Also, headbands can't have extensions. Capiche?

Players: Yes Coach.

And ... Scene.

And the church said: AMEN
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Last night, I was U1, and during warm-ups, 2 players had black headbands, and one had white. I told the R that I would talk to them. When I talked to the girl with the white headband, she said she would talk to her teammates.
She came back, and said that one of the girls would take off her black headband, and the other would find a white headband - the girl I talked to was a team captain, and a senior.
Momentarily, I saw a girl helping tie a white headband, with 7 to 8 inch tails, for the girl who had removed the black headband. When I told them that the tails were not allowed, they asked whether they could just tuck them in. I explained that that wouldn't work, and they complied.
Then, they asked me why, and I told them that the HS Assn wants the emphasis to be on the team and not on a player for their unique way of dressing. And I said that, as officials, we are evaluated, and that I needed their help so an evaluator wouldn't eat me alive for not following the rules. They seemed quite willing to help me with that aspect.

It's girls' b-ball. And the fashion rules' responses all soooo predictable. . .
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Time for your association to elect new leadership.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 06:53pm
C'mon man!!

I knew the tails weren't legal but reading through I can't see where it specifies that. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread