The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 13, 2015, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Count the basket?

Had this happen tonight in a summer league game. Think I/we got it correct but can't find the rule reference.
Player A-1 shoots a three point shot that goes in. While the ball is in the air player A-2 fouls B-1 who was fighting through A-2's screen.
We counted the basket and called the foul on A-2 as a common foul. Gave the ball to Team B at the endline.
Figured that while the ball was in the air you can't have a team control foul.
Should the basket have counted?
Old Thu Aug 13, 2015, 11:00pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Had this happen tonight in a summer league game. Think I/we got it correct but can't find the rule reference.
Player A-1 shoots a three point shot that goes in. While the ball is in the air player A-2 fouls B-1 who was fighting through A-2's screen.
We counted the basket and called the foul on A-2 as a common foul. Gave the ball to Team B at the endline.
Figured that while the ball was in the air you can't have a team control foul.
Should the basket have counted?

You are correct that A2's CF was not a TCF. But I am having a hard time visualizing B1's fighting through A2's screen not being a foul on B1 instead of a foul by A2.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Aug 14, 2015, 01:32am
AremRed

Quote:
Think I/we got it correct but can't find the rule reference.
That's cuz it's one of those plays (read: every play) which draws from several different rules at once. They can be rather intricate at times.

This play has a pretty easy answer: after the release of the shot there is no team control. Thus, if an offensive foul happens after the release then you penalize the foul and count the bucket if applicable. If it's a defensive foul then penalize the foul and count the bucket if the offensive player had begun the shooting motion. The shooter gets continuation during a defensive foul. Make sense?
Old Fri Aug 14, 2015, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

My language didn't really describe what I saw, I think. I believe A-2 was trying to screen B-1 from behind to protect the shooter at the top of the key. I saw him push B-1 and hence the whistle. Actually it is a mechanics problem also as I was trying to keep my eyes on the shooter until he returned to the floor and the fouling action was there also but not against the shooter. I would expect that my partner could have helped there but he didn't so there was confusion by both teams as to who the foul was on A-2 or B-1.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2015, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

A foul while the ball is in flight on a try/tap never causes the ball to become dead, with the exception of a player-control foul committed by an airborne shooter.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2015, 08:07am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
My language didn't really describe what I saw, I think. I believe A-2 was trying to screen B-1 from behind to protect the shooter at the top of the key. I saw him push B-1 and hence the whistle. Actually it is a mechanics problem also as I was trying to keep my eyes on the shooter until he returned to the floor and the fouling action was there also but not against the shooter. I would expect that my partner could have helped there but he didn't so there was confusion by both teams as to who the foul was on A-2 or B-1.
If the shot was already released, I'm wondering why B1 would still be trying to get to A1.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2015, 02:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
As BNR alludes to, the question that matters here is whether the shot had been released by the time A2 committed the foul. Pay no attention to the timing of the whistle.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2015, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
As BNR alludes to, the question that matters here is whether the shot had been released by the time A2 committed the foul. Pay no attention to the timing of the whistle.
In NCAAW, the "time of the whistle" is "the time of the foul", by definition /interpretation.

So, A1 begins the motion, A2 illegally contacts B2, A1 releases the ball, whistle blows -- count the basket, enforce A2's foul.
Old Mon Aug 24, 2015, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gave the ball to Team B at the endline.
I believe the throw in would be at the spot nearest the foul. This could be the endline (and the thrower could run), but it isn't always.

Of course it's the off-season and I could be a bit rusty on my rules--someone will correct me I'm sure if this is wrong.
Old Mon Aug 24, 2015, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I believe the throw in would be at the spot nearest the foul. This could be the endline (and the thrower could run), but it isn't always.

Of course it's the off-season and I could be a bit rusty on my rules--someone will correct me I'm sure if this is wrong.
7.5.7 E

if the ball goes in/basket counts (and B is not in the bonus) their ensuing throw in is from the end line and they can run. even if the foul by the team A teammate is at the top of key. thx
Old Mon Aug 24, 2015, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
7.5.7 E

if the ball goes in/basket counts (and B is not in the bonus) their ensuing throw in is from the end line and they can run. even if the foul by the team A teammate is at the top of key. thx
That is not correct. The proper procedure is to inbound the ball at the spot of the foul. In this case it could be the endline but it doesn't have to be. The inbounds location for ANY common foul IS spot closest to the foul.

IF the ensuing throw in is on the endline then the team has permission to run the endline due to the exception granted on fouls/violations by the defending team on endline throw ins after a made basket.
Old Mon Aug 24, 2015, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
That is not correct. The proper procedure is to inbound the ball at the spot of the foul. In this case it could be the endline but it doesn't have to be. The inbounds location for ANY common foul IS spot closest to the foul.

IF the ensuing throw in is on the endline then the team has permission to run the endline due to the exception granted on fouls/violations by the defending team on endline throw ins after a made basket.
i just remembered the case play and it says if teammate fouls after ball in flight and it goes in, throw in is on end line and team can run. it doesnt say the closest spot to teammates foul is end line. i dont like to assume facts in the plays that arent given but i dont feel to strongly about it either way.
Old Mon Aug 24, 2015, 05:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Straight From The Horse's Mouth ...

Quote:
7.5.7 E... if the ball goes in/basket counts (and B is not in the bonus) their ensuing throw in is from the end line and they can run. even if the foul by the team A teammate is at the top of key.
7.5.7 SITUATION E: While A1's three-point field-goal attempt is in flight, A3
fouls B1 (B is not in the bonus) near the bottom block area. The three-point field goal attempt is successful. RULING: Score the three-point goal for A1. Team B will be permitted to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in. (6-7-7 Exception 2)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Aug 24, 2015, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
7.5.7 SITUATION E: While A1's three-point field-goal attempt is in flight, A3
fouls B1 (B is not in the bonus) near the bottom block area. The three-point field goal attempt is successful. RULING: Score the three-point goal for A1. Team B will be permitted to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in. (6-7-7 Exception 2)
interesting, my 7.5.7E does not say "near bottom block area." mine doesnt mention a location.

my Ipad version. i will check the paper back...if i can find them....

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Aug 24, 2015 at 05:19pm.
Old Mon Aug 24, 2015, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i just remembered the case play and it says if teammate fouls after ball in flight and it goes in, throw in is on end line and team can run. it doesnt say the closest spot to teammates foul is end line. i dont like to assume facts in the plays that arent given but i dont feel to strongly about it either way.
Don't overthink this. The inbounds for ANY common foul is nearest where the foul occured. It could be in a double foul situation where the POI is a ball in flight then on a made basket the inbounds would be endline where the team can run.