The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Count the basket? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100028-count-basket.html)

rbruno Thu Aug 13, 2015 09:39pm

Count the basket?

Had this happen tonight in a summer league game. Think I/we got it correct but can't find the rule reference.
Player A-1 shoots a three point shot that goes in. While the ball is in the air player A-2 fouls B-1 who was fighting through A-2's screen.
We counted the basket and called the foul on A-2 as a common foul. Gave the ball to Team B at the endline.
Figured that while the ball was in the air you can't have a team control foul.
Should the basket have counted?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 965831)
Had this happen tonight in a summer league game. Think I/we got it correct but can't find the rule reference.
Player A-1 shoots a three point shot that goes in. While the ball is in the air player A-2 fouls B-1 who was fighting through A-2's screen.
We counted the basket and called the foul on A-2 as a common foul. Gave the ball to Team B at the endline.
Figured that while the ball was in the air you can't have a team control foul.
Should the basket have counted?

You are correct that A2's CF was not a TCF. But I am having a hard time visualizing B1's fighting through A2's screen not being a foul on B1 instead of a foul by A2.

MTD, Sr.

AremRed Fri Aug 14, 2015 01:32am

Quote:

Think I/we got it correct but can't find the rule reference.

That's cuz it's one of those plays (read: every play) which draws from several different rules at once. They can be rather intricate at times.

This play has a pretty easy answer: after the release of the shot there is no team control. Thus, if an offensive foul happens after the release then you penalize the foul and count the bucket if applicable. If it's a defensive foul then penalize the foul and count the bucket if the offensive player had begun the shooting motion. The shooter gets continuation during a defensive foul. Make sense?

rbruno Fri Aug 14, 2015 07:19am

My language didn't really describe what I saw, I think. I believe A-2 was trying to screen B-1 from behind to protect the shooter at the top of the key. I saw him push B-1 and hence the whistle. Actually it is a mechanics problem also as I was trying to keep my eyes on the shooter until he returned to the floor and the fouling action was there also but not against the shooter. I would expect that my partner could have helped there but he didn't so there was confusion by both teams as to who the foul was on A-2 or B-1.

bballref3966 Fri Aug 14, 2015 07:34am

A foul while the ball is in flight on a try/tap never causes the ball to become dead, with the exception of a player-control foul committed by an airborne shooter.

Raymond Fri Aug 14, 2015 08:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 965840)
My language didn't really describe what I saw, I think. I believe A-2 was trying to screen B-1 from behind to protect the shooter at the top of the key. I saw him push B-1 and hence the whistle. Actually it is a mechanics problem also as I was trying to keep my eyes on the shooter until he returned to the floor and the fouling action was there also but not against the shooter. I would expect that my partner could have helped there but he didn't so there was confusion by both teams as to who the foul was on A-2 or B-1.

If the shot was already released, I'm wondering why B1 would still be trying to get to A1. :confused:

Adam Fri Aug 14, 2015 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 965840)

As BNR alludes to, the question that matters here is whether the shot had been released by the time A2 committed the foul. Pay no attention to the timing of the whistle.

bob jenkins Sun Aug 16, 2015 07:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 965849)
As BNR alludes to, the question that matters here is whether the shot had been released by the time A2 committed the foul. Pay no attention to the timing of the whistle.

In NCAAW, the "time of the whistle" is "the time of the foul", by definition /interpretation.

So, A1 begins the motion, A2 illegally contacts B2, A1 releases the ball, whistle blows -- count the basket, enforce A2's foul.

HokiePaul Mon Aug 24, 2015 01:14pm

Quote:

Gave the ball to Team B at the endline.

I believe the throw in would be at the spot nearest the foul. This could be the endline (and the thrower could run), but it isn't always.

Of course it's the off-season and I could be a bit rusty on my rules--someone will correct me I'm sure if this is wrong.

BigCat Mon Aug 24, 2015 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 966142)
I believe the throw in would be at the spot nearest the foul. This could be the endline (and the thrower could run), but it isn't always.

Of course it's the off-season and I could be a bit rusty on my rules--someone will correct me I'm sure if this is wrong.

7.5.7 E

if the ball goes in/basket counts (and B is not in the bonus) their ensuing throw in is from the end line and they can run. even if the foul by the team A teammate is at the top of key. thx

deecee Mon Aug 24, 2015 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 966147)
7.5.7 E

if the ball goes in/basket counts (and B is not in the bonus) their ensuing throw in is from the end line and they can run. even if the foul by the team A teammate is at the top of key. thx

That is not correct. The proper procedure is to inbound the ball at the spot of the foul. In this case it could be the endline but it doesn't have to be. The inbounds location for ANY common foul IS spot closest to the foul.

IF the ensuing throw in is on the endline then the team has permission to run the endline due to the exception granted on fouls/violations by the defending team on endline throw ins after a made basket.

BigCat Mon Aug 24, 2015 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 966150)
That is not correct. The proper procedure is to inbound the ball at the spot of the foul. In this case it could be the endline but it doesn't have to be. The inbounds location for ANY common foul IS spot closest to the foul.

IF the ensuing throw in is on the endline then the team has permission to run the endline due to the exception granted on fouls/violations by the defending team on endline throw ins after a made basket.

i just remembered the case play and it says if teammate fouls after ball in flight and it goes in, throw in is on end line and team can run. it doesnt say the closest spot to teammates foul is end line. i dont like to assume facts in the plays that arent given but i dont feel to strongly about it either way.

BillyMac Mon Aug 24, 2015 05:02pm

Straight From The Horse's Mouth ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 966147)
7.5.7 E... if the ball goes in/basket counts (and B is not in the bonus) their ensuing throw in is from the end line and they can run. even if the foul by the team A teammate is at the top of key.

7.5.7 SITUATION E: While A1's three-point field-goal attempt is in flight, A3
fouls B1 (B is not in the bonus) near the bottom block area. The three-point field goal attempt is successful. RULING: Score the three-point goal for A1. Team B will be permitted to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in. (6-7-7 Exception 2)

BigCat Mon Aug 24, 2015 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 966152)
7.5.7 SITUATION E: While A1's three-point field-goal attempt is in flight, A3
fouls B1 (B is not in the bonus) near the bottom block area. The three-point field goal attempt is successful. RULING: Score the three-point goal for A1. Team B will be permitted to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in. (6-7-7 Exception 2)

interesting, my 7.5.7E does not say "near bottom block area." mine doesnt mention a location.

my Ipad version. i will check the paper back...if i can find them....

deecee Mon Aug 24, 2015 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 966151)
i just remembered the case play and it says if teammate fouls after ball in flight and it goes in, throw in is on end line and team can run. it doesnt say the closest spot to teammates foul is end line. i dont like to assume facts in the plays that arent given but i dont feel to strongly about it either way.

Don't overthink this. The inbounds for ANY common foul is nearest where the foul occured. It could be in a double foul situation where the POI is a ball in flight then on a made basket the inbounds would be endline where the team can run.