The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 11:28pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Just wondering if it's a 3-2 pitch that is called ball four and both players react the same way, does the want NCAA ejection?

If so, that's BS as they are now establishing scenarios to eject and scenarios to pass for the same reaction.

If not, that's just plain BS.
I always make those types of distinctions. Context matters.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES View Post
I respectfully disagree because if this was a regular season NCAA D-I game, the catcher for sure would have been ejected and the pitcher probably would have gone too. The CWS "stage" as well as the position (Starting Pitcher & Catcher) of the players involved had a lot to do with why Burley kept them in THIS particular game.
That's funny to me as the catcher is the one I'm least likely to eject. He throws his mask immediately and away from the umpire in a way that says to me "I'm frustrated with myself." The pitcher on the other hand turns to the umpire and throws his glove down in the umpires direction which to me is challenging the umpire.

If I'm only dumping one, it's the pitcher.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

I was going to ask about that since I'm not a baseball official. Does it matter to anybody that the catcher was walking away from the plate and the umpire when his helmet hits the ground? The pitcher, however, took a couple small steps towards the umpire as he threw his glove and also appeared to be staring him down a bit.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 07:59am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
That's funny to me as the catcher is the one I'm least likely to eject. He throws his mask immediately and away from the umpire in a way that says to me "I'm frustrated with myself." The pitcher on the other hand turns to the umpire and throws his glove down in the umpires direction which to me is challenging the umpire.

If I'm only dumping one, it's the pitcher.
He's certainly not frustrated w/ himself. F2 thinks that the umpire missed the call.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I was going to ask about that since I'm not a baseball official. Does it matter to anybody that the catcher was walking away from the plate and the umpire when his helmet hits the ground? The pitcher, however, took a couple small steps towards the umpire as he threw his glove and also appeared to be staring him down a bit.
Yes

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 09:31am
Archaic Power Monger

Is there any video of the play? I haven't had the chance to see it.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Here is the video of the play from NCAA.com...doesn't show much of the conversation with the coach afterward, but does show the reaction of the pitcher and catcher.

CWS Wrap-up: Game 10 - NCAA.com
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 12:59pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Post #19
D'oh...thanks.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA baseball guys.....
IYO, based on what happened on this play; any chance of the Baseball Rules Committee adding something to the rules for 2014 regarding the throwing of equipment by a player? Something short of an EJ, along the lines of what MLB has in their rules (without the fine obviously)?
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
NCAA baseball guys.....
IYO, based on what happened on this play; any chance of the Baseball Rules Committee adding something to the rules for 2014 regarding the throwing of equipment by a player? Something short of an EJ, along the lines of what MLB has in their rules (without the fine obviously)?
Yup - already mentioned it on page 3 of the thread

Eastshire: good point - I guess both would go then
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

I do not think that the rules committee will add anything nor do I think they need to. The NCAA has already made it clear that we are to issue warnings when possible. There is a video of the play that I saw linked on Facebook where you can hear Joe's audio. He immediately warns the players when the pitcher throws his glove and the HC steps in immediately to protect his guys. Did anyone notice who worked the plate in the championship game?
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

I have no doubt that the coach ran to the PU ump immediately to misdirect the PU attention from his players onto himself (ie protect his players). And I have no doubt he would have preferred to be ejected for arguing than his starting pitcher and catcher. As it turned out the whole situation was expertly handled for a game of this magnitude on this stage and no one was ejected.
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
...The NCAA has already made it clear that we are to issue warnings when possible ... he immediately warns the players when the pitcher throws his glove...

Quote:
Batter strikes out and draws a line in the dirt - do we issue a warning for that. Where do we draw the line here????

I do wonder about this one.

(I'm sorry. I accidentally edited UES's post instead of quoting it -- clearly, I hit the wrong button. Just wanted you to know this was me, not him, and I apologies to UES for being so sloppy. --Rich)
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

I actually witnessed this one this year in the post-season. The PU issued a warning to the kid and no one ever said a word. The game went on like nothing ever happened and nothing ever escalated. Right or wrong, this time it worked for this umpire. There are lots of ways to cross the finish line, some better than others, but addressing an issue and having it not resurface always works. Warning or ejection or both ways to address the issue, pick the one that works for you so that the problem stops.
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 07:42pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES View Post
I do wonder about this one.
In NCAA baseball:

I've ejected immediately for that. I've kept guys in the game just so I could screw them later for that. I've told guys "Either that line disappears, or you do" and had them erase it, whereby they stayed in the game, and had them ignore me--or draw it again--and get ejected.

Context.