The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

It wasn't "just" a CWS game. It was the 5th meeting of the year between NC State and UNC, both having won 2 each, fierce rivals in all sports, schools 20 miles apart and in the same conference, and playing an elimination game in the CWS.

Joe Burleson handled this well, and if it is discussed in Spring meetings, that is how it will be described to handle this situation in a game of this magnitude.
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

The only problem with the way this was "handled" is when we EJ someone for doing the same thing we are the "bad guy". I understand how NCAA wants it handled but it still doesn't make it right.
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP45 View Post
The only problem with the way this was "handled" is when we EJ someone for doing the same thing we are the "bad guy". I understand how NCAA wants it handled but it still doesn't make it right.
You handle things the way the boss wants you to handle things. Subordinate 101.
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The way Joe Burleson "handled" it will likely earn him another trip to Omaha.
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Bad Precedence?

Quote:
Ump 45 brings up a good point because this incident could set a precedent that would not be favorable for umpires in general (or NCAA baseball). Im sure McCartor is aware of this as well and I expect the NCAA will discuss this after the CWS and a Point of Emphasis will be introduced @ the 2014 Regional meetings in January. Although the matter was handled well this time, this type of behavior is not acceptable and a consequence of some type needs to be put in place to address the situation when it comes up in the future
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I think Joe did a great job on the play period. I've had the pleasure of working with him many times and like many of us, he takes umpiring very seriously and works to get every aspect of his umpiring done exactly the way it needs to be done. I believe strongly that he called the entire play exactly as the NCAA wants the play officiated during Championship Play. The play will probably be dissected in January, and we will hear that it was done professionally and exactly the way that the NCAA wants it done in the post-season.

One poster already mentioned, had Joe ejected either/both players in rapid fashion, the media would have focused on that rather than any other portion of the contest. Joe got his warning in and the game finished without incident and the teams decided the outcome. The only ones still talking about the play are umpires and few of us have been in Joe's shoes on that stage. Well done by Joe and great overall job by the men representing the best of us this year at the CWS.

Last edited by Durham; Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 03:14pm.
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
F1 and F2 both earned automatic ejections. This isn't MLB where you can give an "equipment violation" to keep them in the game. Those actions are automatic heave-ho's from MiLB down to LL.
True... but not in NCAA. At least ... not if you want to work again.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm.. I wonder how this would have been handled if in the 5th game of the MLB World Series.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Hmm.. I wonder how this would have been handled if in the 5th game of the MLB World Series.
I believe they would have been tossed. MLB doesn't have the same reluctance to eject that NCAA seems to.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Sometimes you have to understand what you are there to do. Umpire a game.

Both of the players threw their equipment out of frustration. Not as much with the umpires call as with the outcome of what they expected the call to be. GOOD players, that work hard in important games have emotions just like everyone else. Sometimes you as an official have to stand back and let that frustration happen, deal with it and move on.

If you can't, then your telling the rest of the world that you don't belong in that situation. You lack the confidence as an official, in controlling a contest at any given moment and you either need to eject someone because of a preconceived idea that it will make you look better, or it is the only way you know, how to handle a situation. You need seasoning and your definetly not ready to handle the game in question.
I disagree to a point. I certainly expect one-half of the players and coaches involved in a game to be frustrated or upset with any close call like this one. I also expect a certain amount of that frustration to come out. But throwing down the mask and glove crosses the line into showing me up and that is not something I am going to allow. Very few others can hear what is said, but the action of throwing the equipment is visible for all to see. That needs to be dealt with. I would have expected an ejection on this play.

With all of that being said, I also understand the "big game, big stage" side of the discussion and calling and managing the game the way your superiors instruct you to. It would certainly be interesting to hear the post game dissection of this play and the reactions to it between the crew and the NCAA observers.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
But throwing down the mask and glove crosses the line into showing me up and that is not something I am going to allow.
In 99% of the games I work ... likely 99% of the games worked by everyone reading this ... you're right. That's an ejection.

Except if your game is an NCAA game - big game or not. If you insist you would eject over this in an NCAA game, you won't work there long... conversely, if it bothers you enough that your instructions in an NCAA game would be to not eject over this - simply don't work NCAA games.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
... except if your game is an NCAA game - big game or not. If you insist you would eject over this in an NCAA game, you won't work there long... .
I respectfully disagree because if this was a regular season NCAA D-I game, the catcher for sure would have been ejected and the pitcher probably would have gone too. The CWS "stage" as well as the position (Starting Pitcher & Catcher) of the players involved had a lot to do with why Burley kept them in THIS particular game.

Last edited by UES; Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 02:09pm.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 09:00pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Go to mlb.com and check out some footage of Robinson Cano getting called out by Rob Drake against the Tigers last fall in the ALCS to assuage your curiosity.

Last edited by Publius; Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 09:02pm.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 10:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
In 99% of the games I work ... likely 99% of the games worked by everyone reading this ... you're right. That's an ejection.

Except if your game is an NCAA game - big game or not. If you insist you would eject over this in an NCAA game, you won't work there long... conversely, if it bothers you enough that your instructions in an NCAA game would be to not eject over this - simply don't work NCAA games.
Simply not true. I work NCAA baseball and I would easily eject both players over this.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Just wondering if it's a 3-2 pitch that is called ball four and both players react the same way, does the want NCAA ejection?

If so, that's BS as they are now establishing scenarios to eject and scenarios to pass for the same reaction.

If not, that's just plain BS.