The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Play at the plate

To preface this post, I am a football official and know absolutely NOTHING about baseball umpiring.

I was watching the JUCO World Series this past weekend and there was a close play at the plate in the bottom half of the 9th inning. My question is about the mechanics and positioning of an umpire at home plate for a bang-bang play. The umpire was on the 3rd base/home plate baseline extended (see pic #10 at Day 7 of JUCO 2009, May 29 | Photo Gallery | GJSentinel). It appeared to me that the runner tagged the base with his left hand and the catcher either did or didn't tag the runner in the back as he was in the sitting position either at the same time, slightly before or slightly after he tagged the plate. Basically a really tough call.

It seems to me that from the umpire's view point, he wouldn't be able to see the tag on the back of the runner since the tag would have occured on the runner's back. Is there ever a time where the umpire would remain in the area behind the plate for this call?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

It is a tough call and I can tell it would be just by that pic.

The umpire was in the best position possible from what I can tell from that pic. Generally, the umpire will kind of stand at the point and adjust from there on the play. Since this was a swipe tag attempt, the umpire tried to get 3BLX(third base line extended). He couldn't completely b/c of the players being in the wrong position. But, he looked like he was still in a good position.

Some plays are going to be difficult to see no matter where the umpire gets. Now, if it was going to be a blocking of the plate play, the umpire would get 1BLX(first base line extended). Especially if the throw is coming from the left side of the field.

This umpire did it right and got in the best spot possible for this type of play. The only other place he could have gotten is the area where the teammates are at. He could have gone a little over the 3BLX line to get the angle to see if the tag is applied on the backside. But, that wasn't going to happen b/c of the other players.

For beginners, 1BLX is better to start. After feeling comfortable, they can begin to move to the POP(point of plate) position and read the play and from there to go 3BLX or 1BLX. But, this umpire would not have seen any tag from 1BLX probably on this play.

But, after seeing pic 34, he did see the tag and called the runner out. Looked like the right call too b/c pic 32 has the tag on the back.

Last edited by GA Umpire; Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 03:39pm.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks GA Umpire, that was exactly what I was looking for - I knew there had to be a reason why he was in the position he was in. Another question, is there a "When in doubt..." for this type of play, or is there a "Tie goes to the...." on this type of play?
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpc2 View Post
"tie goes to the...."
Warning! Warning! Danger Will Robinson! Danger!
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.

Last edited by Ump Rube; Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 03:57pm. Reason: The system doesn't like all caps.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC2 View Post
Thanks GA Umpire, that was exactly what I was looking for - I knew there had to be a reason why he was in the position he was in. Another question, is there a "When in doubt..." for this type of play, or is there a "Tie goes to the...." on this type of play?
But in all seriousness, in baseball there are somethings that seem to be a couple of standards or defaults when making calls, but these are not absolutes by any means just guidelines.

It is...
a ball until it's a strike,
fair until it's foul,
safe until he's out.

If you didn't see a tag you can't call him out. (This will sound counter-intuitive but...) If you didn't see him touch (and no tag) he's safe.

In baseball contrary to popular belief "tie" (what a disgusting word) goes to the defense. The player must beat the ball, if he ties he has not beat. I hope this answers some questions.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump rube View Post
warning! Warning! Danger will robinson! Danger!
lol
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
But, after seeing pic 34, he did see the tag and called the runner out. Looked like the right call too b/c pic 32 has the tag on the back.
Don't forget the players faces in 33. Flabbergasted that the call could go the other way too.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
It is...
fair until it's foul,
safe until he's out.
Depends on the umpire. Many say "When in doubt, bang them out" or "All pitches are strikes until convinced otherwise".

I don't think along these lines. Some may even have it as their signature. Generally, I try to have no preconceived notions of what is about to happen until I see it. Sometimes I do, but I try not to on all plays/pitches.

And, as said before, should not call an out until the umpire sees an out.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 06:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
But in all seriousness, in baseball there are somethings that seem to be a couple of standards or defaults when making calls, but these are not absolutes by any means just guidelines.

It is...
a ball until it's a strike
fair until it's foul,
safe until he's out.

If you didn't see a tag you can't call him out. (This will sound counter-intuitive but...) If you didn't see him touch (and no tag) he's safe.

In baseball contrary to popular belief "tie" (what a disgusting word) goes to the defense. The player must beat the ball, if he ties he has not beat. I hope this answers some questions.

Ump:

I was taught that it is a strike until it is a ball. You want the batters swinging not standing in the batter's box with the bat on their shoulders.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 06:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Ump:

I was taught that it is a strike until it is a ball. You want the batters swinging not standing in the batter's box with the bat on their shoulders.

MTD, Sr.
Absolutely correct. The ball starts out as a strike until it does something to change that. I was taught to look at it this way, and it has served me well. Now, if the baseball does anything to change this, I have no problem calling it a ball.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

I must add that....

I am also a camper in the "It's a strike until it's a ball" group.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.

Last edited by MajorDave; Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 05:36am. Reason: Changed the words to what it should be-Don't type and talk on the phone. It is dangerous.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Absolutely correct. The ball starts out as a strike until it does something to change that. I was taught to look at it this way, and it has served me well. Now, if the baseball does anything to change this, I have no problem calling it a ball.
As a younger umpire, this is what I've been told by veterans. It's a strike until it's not. Get the borderline pitches as strikes.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:

It is...
That is incorrect

It is a strike UNTIL proven otherwise

Pete Booth
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 09:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
I am also a camper in the "It's a ball until it's a strike" group.
Well, whatever works for you. Vive la différence.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry my games plus adult beverages kept me so long from clarifying my point. In regards to the ball --> strike I was referring to the fact that when nothing is said and no signal given that the pitch is considered a ball. And also that on check swing (if not called) is considered a ball until an ump rules it strike.

To further clarify, I am in the no preconceived notions (at least I try), but I do tend to meander to the strike unless shown otherwise.