The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Play at the plate

Hey guys (and gals),

As I've said before, I'm new to softball officiating, and so I have a question which may seem basic to most of you guys, but I'd appreciate any help.

Ball thrown from F6 to F2 with runner R1 rounding third and coming home. F2 makes catch at the plate, and R1 jumps outside the base path to avoid the tag. I call R1 out for jumping outside the base path. No questions from either team. After the game, I was talking to my partner, who said that a player cannot be called out for going outside the baseline on a play at the plate. Is this true? Is this the same in all ball (SP, FP, and baseball)?

Thanks,
Quinn
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thats idiotic.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
Hey guys (and gals),

As I've said before, I'm new to softball officiating, and so I have a question which may seem basic to most of you guys, but I'd appreciate any help.

Ball thrown from F6 to F2 with runner R1 rounding third and coming home. F2 makes catch at the plate, and R1 jumps outside the base path to avoid the tag. I call R1 out for jumping outside the base path. No questions from either team. After the game, I was talking to my partner, who said that a player cannot be called out for going outside the baseline on a play at the plate. Is this true? Is this the same in all ball (SP, FP, and baseball)?

Thanks,
Quinn
Your partner is wrong.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Your partner is wrong.

What he said....
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey guys (and gals),

Thanks,
Quinn
Speaking ASA

#1. There is no rule forbidding the runner from ever leaving ANY base line.
#2. There is a rule forbidding the runner from leaving the base path and that applies ANYWHERE on the field.
#3. Your partner needs to actually READ the rule book and then attend a few clinics.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

What is worse is when there is a rule change and then an
"old vet" who doesn't read the rule book or attend training
sessions makes a call based on the old rule. That really steams me !
In a "perfect world" officials organizations would have enough members
to force everyone to keep up in order to get assignments.
Sadly that is seldom the case.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA

#2. There is a rule forbidding the runner from leaving the base path and that applies ANYWHERE on the field.
When avoiding a tag?
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
When avoiding a tag?
There is no rule forbidding it. They are simply out for running more than three feet from the basepath when a fielder is attempting to touch them with the ball. (ASA 8:7:A)

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
There is no rule forbidding it. They are simply out for running more than three feet from the basepath when a fielder is attempting to touch them with the ball. (ASA 8:7:A)
Yes, that is correct, but I don't think this umpire would know the difference. I used forbidding because if the runner does leave the base path to avoid a tag, that person is no longer a runner.

Point is I simply made a comment that a rule exists, I just didn't offer the specifics.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
#1. There is no rule forbidding the runner from ever leaving ANY base line.
I just want to make sure I'm understanding this right. The difference you're pointing out here is that the base line isn't necessarily the base path. IE, R1 runs straight through and past third, and then attempts home. Base line is directly between third and home, but base path three feet either side of the straight line between where he is and home plate. Is that right? Is that the distinction you were trying to draw?
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just want to make sure I'm understanding this right. The difference you're pointing out here is that the base line isn't necessarily the base path. IE, R1 runs straight through and past third, and then attempts home. Base line is directly between third and home, but base path three feet either side of the straight line between where he is and home plate. Is that right? Is that the distinction you were trying to draw?
Close.

First - the base LINE is irrelevant in almost every situation.

The only thing you omitted in the above quote is that the basepath is 3 feet either side of a straightline between where he/she is and home plate AT THE MOMENT A FIELDER INITIATES A TAG ATTEMPT (and also a straight line between that point and third base.) Don't create a basepath in your head for a particular runner until that tag attempt happens.