The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 03:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Launch him and make everyone know it's not allowed. By bringing the coach over and doing it over a lineup change doesn't send a direct message that the behavior isn't tolerated.
Yup. The "I ejected him but look how cute I'm being by not letting everyone know he's ejected" is some weird by-product of the "if the umpire's noticed, he's doing a bad job" line of nonsense. When I eject someone I don't have to spin like a top, but I *am* going to let everyone know I've ejected someone by giving an ejection mechanic.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Yup. The "I ejected him but look how cute I'm being by not letting everyone know he's ejected" is some weird by-product of the "if the umpire's noticed, he's doing a bad job" line of nonsense. When I eject someone I don't have to spin like a top, but I *am* going to let everyone know I've ejected someone by giving an ejection mechanic.
+1

I've never understood the "secret ejection" mechanic some propose here. I'm not saying we need to be the show or escalate tempers ... but an ejection on a player that threw his equipment doesn't need to be a secret one.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I'm not saying that I'm in any way hesitant to make a statement ejection when it's warranted. But to do it in this situation from well over 100' from the player is making yourself bigger than the game and showing your partner up. The message is sent loud enough to the offending player, his coaches, and his teammates. I don't care if your partner is a pussy, you don't need to let everyone else know YOU think he's a pussy too. And if you do choose to make a scene over an ejection that your partner should have made, be prepared to make the rest of his calls for the day, because whatever little respect both teams might have had for your partner just went out the window.

Tim.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I'm not saying that I'm in any way hesitant to make a statement ejection when it's warranted. But to do it in this situation from well over 100' from the player is making yourself bigger than the game and showing your partner up. The message is sent loud enough to the offending player, his coaches, and his teammates. I don't care if your partner is a pussy, you don't need to let everyone else know YOU think he's a pussy too. And if you do choose to make a scene over an ejection that your partner should have made, be prepared to make the rest of his calls for the day, because whatever little respect both teams might have had for your partner just went out the window.

Tim.
I definitely am not advocating making a scene... but a kid throwing equipment doesn't deserve the stealth ejection either, regardless of whether the proper umpire makes it.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I definitely am not advocating making a scene... but a kid throwing equipment doesn't deserve the stealth ejection either, regardless of whether the proper umpire makes it.
What additional message is sent, Mike, that isn't sent with a quiet ejection?

I'm half way with you here. By that I mean that if this player was half way between the two of us (partner and I), I would have wound up to run the player.

But he was over a hundred feet away in this play, and it's stepping all over your partner to launch the player loudly.

And let me add that if an umpire working in our association were to do something like this in front of one of our evaluators, there would be a follow up *** chewing.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Tue Sep 27, 2011 at 08:53am.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

This is a tough one for me. On one hand, the player needs to be dumped, but on the other hand, you don't want to step on your partner's toes and try to handle his business for him. In a college game, I would hope a partner would have the cajones to just dump him. With certain high school partners, I know some of them wouldn't do it, but I still would have trouble doing it from that far away. Either way, I don't like the "silent ejection".
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 09:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

I pictured the PU 45' up the line trailing the play -- so I'm not picturing the "100 feet away" scenario you folks are.

Likewise, I've had partners ring up batters and walk away only to have the batter have a meltdown that required an ejection. I feel it's unfair to my partner to not be there for that one, too.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
What additional message is sent, Mike, that isn't sent with a quiet ejection?

I'm half way with you here. By that I mean that if this player was half way between the two of us (partner and I), I would have wound up to run the player.

But he was over a hundred feet away in this play, and it's stepping all over your partner to launch the player loudly.

And let me add that if an umpire working in our association were to do something like this in front of one of our evaluators, there would be a follow up *** chewing.

Tim.
Didn't say loudly... let's just go with visibly. A followup to your last sentence... if an umpire were to visibly (yet not loudly) eject a player 100 feet away for hurling equipment, after partner did not ... WHO would get the arsechewing? In my area, I'm pretty sure it would be BU, not PU - PU might get a talking to if he did the MLB National TV Ejection, but that's frowned upon most of the time anyway in any circumstance.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I've never had to do this...yet(the BU's I've worked with have tossed as necessary). But as PU, I would eject, if the BU didnt take care of business.

I would think the best way, as PU, would be to approach the coach, tell him calmly that I'm ejecting the BR, and visually point at the BR and do my ejection mechanic.
It doesnt look so much like poaching, and lets all know that the player is gone, as opposed to the hidden, "lineup card" suggestion (which IS a good option at times, depending on the sich)...
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Launch him and make everyone know it's not allowed. By bringing the coach over and doing it over a lineup change doesn't send a direct message that the behavior isn't tolerated.
Really? I wasn't aware that we were supposed to be in the business of teaching. I'm a big believer in repsonding to the madness. If a kid throws his helmet and then kicks it before entering the dugout, I'm pretty sure everyone in the park saw his display. There is no need for a dramatic dump. Keeping a level head and asking questions ("Skip, who is going to go in for #24?") controls the situation. The lineup card is a prop for reaffirming the need but also necessary for not wasting time later.