Thread: Situations
View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Question Situations

I worked two tournament games today with the same partner in a high school (FED) tournament. In the first game, he was the BU and there was a very close play at first base. My partner made the out call and the BR jumped up in the air with his arms raised like he couldn't believe the call. He then proceded to fire his helmet into the fence beside the dugout and then kicked the helmet on his way back to the dugout. Looking back, I now realize that I should have stepped in and made the ejection since my parner ignored what was happening a few feet away from him.

In the second game, my partner was PU and after a couple of close pitches in the fifth inning, the defensive coach said, "Nice pitch. You have to give us that one." That was the first I had heard out of him the entire game. My partner took it upon himself to walk to the dugout and tell the coach that he would eject him for any further comments. The coach calmly said, "okay" and did not say another word to either of us the rest of the game.

After the games, I talked to my partner about game management. He said that he did not eject the player in the first game, because he felt that it was an issue for the coach to handle. He said that he called out the coach in the second game, because he needed to show him who was in charge and that there was nobody else there who would have stopped him. I didn't agree with either of these points, but I could tell I was not going to get anywhere with him. How could I have handled it differently?