The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Sub situations

Please include rule or casebook references:

1 - A1 is fouled and A is in the bonus. Before the first free throw, A calls a timeout. After the warning horn, A6 checks in as a sub. The officials deny entry. After the first free throw, the horn sounds again. What do you do with A6?

2 - A1 is fouled and A is in the bonus. Before the first free throw, A calls a timeout. During the timout, A6 replaces A2. After the first free throw, A2 reports as a sub and the horn blows. What do you do with A2?

3 - A is called for a violation. Substitute B6 is beckoned on the court and replaces B1. During the deadball period, the coach of A has been irate about the call. After the substitution is completed, the A coach receives a technical foul. B1 reports to the scorer's table wanting to check into the game to shoot the free throws for the T.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 03:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. Let him in after the first throw. The ball has become live again. 3-1-c
2. He needs to wait. 3-3-4
3. This is not allowed, again 3-3-4.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 03:53pm.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisref2

1 - A1 is fouled and A is in the bonus. Before the first free throw, A calls a timeout. After the warning horn, A6 checks in as a sub. The officials deny entry. After the first free throw, the horn sounds again. What do you do with A6?
Allow A6 to enter after the first free throw. The first attempted entry was correctly denied for not having reported before the warning horn (NFHS 3-3-1a). However, A6 has now reported, and is eligible to enter at the next opportunity to substitute, which is after the first free throw is made. Although subbing before the second shot of a 1-and-1 is not common, it is legal per NFHS 3-3-1c.

Quote:
2 - A1 is fouled and A is in the bonus. Before the first free throw, A calls a timeout. During the timout, A6 replaces A2. After the first free throw, A2 reports as a sub and the horn blows. What do you do with A2?
Deny the substitution. A2 may not re-enter after being subbed out (or directed to leave the game) until the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement. NFHS 3-3-4. No time has run off the clock in this situation. A2 would also not be eligible to substitute after the second free throw, if was made.

Quote:
3 - A is called for a violation. Substitute B6 is beckoned on the court and replaces B1. During the deadball period, the coach of A has been irate about the call. After the substitution is completed, the A coach receives a technical foul. B1 reports to the scorer's table wanting to check into the game to shoot the free throws for the T.
Not allowed. NFHS 8-3 allows any player of the offended team to shoot free throws for a technical foul, "including an eligible substitute or designated starter." Because of 3-3-4, B1 is not an eligible substitute and therefore is not entitled to shoot the free throws.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Responses in blue.

Quote:

1 - A1 is fouled and A is in the bonus. Before the first free throw, A calls a timeout. After the warning horn, A6 checks in as a sub. The officials deny entry. After the first free throw, the horn sounds again. What do you do with A6? Beckon A6 onto the floor unless he desires to replace A1. 3-3-1d and 3-3-2 (Note: this was not a multiple throw situation so 3-3-1c does not apply)

Deny him entry until time has come off the clock. 3-3-4

Deny him entry until time has come off the clock. 3-3-4
(Note that this rule makes B1 an ineligible substitute at this time, so he does not qualify to attempt the technical foul FTs under 8-3, which specifies "an eligible substitute.")
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

If I had bothered to read the last response in this thread, I could have saved some effort by just agreeing with BITS.

I would only have added the caveat for #1 that A6 cannot replace A1 at this time.

Sorry, BITS.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks all. A bunch of us had this discussion after I had play number 1 in a game. As usual, that discussion branched out to the others.

In my game, I denied the substitution because time had not run off the clock (thinking of 3-3-4 but using it in the wrong situation). It felt right at the time and the coach, who is also an official in our association, agreed after we talked about it for a few seconds.

But after the game, it just didn't make sense to me - and now we all know why!
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
If I had bothered to read the last response in this thread, I could have saved some effort by just agreeing with BITS.

I would only have added the caveat for #1 that A6 cannot replace A1 at this time.

Sorry, BITS.
So A6 cannot replace A1, even after the first throw? Even after a made second throw? Where do I find the rule for that?
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 02:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
So A6 cannot replace A1, even after the first throw? Even after a made second throw? Where do I find the rule for that?
A1 was the FT shooter. Can't be replaced after the first FT. You know that; you misread it.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
A1 was the FT shooter. Can't be replaced after the first FT. You know that; you misread it.
Doh!