View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
Is it OK to mock an umpire as long as the player does it in the dugout? At 1:09 to 1:13 on the video one can see what Blake did to get tossed; he yelled at Gibson and mocked his punch-out mechanic. So, if a player openly mocks you (essentially to your face since it appears that he made sure Gibson was looking at him) as long as only his dugout, the other dugout, and the fans facing the dugout can see it; you let it go?
You are basing this on responses from those who are coaches first, umpires second.

I'll eject them if they are on the field or in the dugout where they feel like it is a safety zone. I have done it and will continue if some player wants to yell at me from the dugout. Too many have this idea in their head that it looks bad if the umpire tosses someone while that person is not in their face yelling at them.

If he is not man enough to say it to my face, why should I let him be coward enough to say it with his back to me or from his dugout?

Good EJ IMO.