View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 05, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
College ball included. Thank you very much.

But, that really got a much more dignified answer than it deserved. And, no I don't see it differently. I see it as a player being a jerk and the umpire let him know he had enough.

Not very thick skinned, are you? And, yes, that is being weak to not want to eject b/c now every umpire behind you has to put up with that same BS until they decide to get rid of those same idiots that you chose not to. You put it off onto the next umpire to have to control the situation.

And, I say "Coach first, umpire second" based on many of your posts including ones on this thread. You are quick to defend the players/coaches and jump on the umpire as you are doing in this thread. Keep proving it with every post. You did with this one.
I truly, honestly did not mean it to sound that way, and if it did, which I can understand, I apologize whole-heartedly. I was just asking you to see that he left the field and earned the right to fume a little.

Sorry if it sounded like typical player-umpire blowhard posturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
Is there some history between Blake and Gibson? Is it possible that a strike three check swing fits into the category of called strike three by a plate umpire and therefore it is permissible to add a little flare to it?
No flair. But that's an individual's choice. This individual made the choice to take a chance at showing the guy up. He did; the guy didn't like it, and he gave a quick demonstration of it. The guy that showed him up also had a quick trigger. Bad combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Yikes...I'd expect to hear that from a coach, not another umpire.

Try to remember we're on the same team here folks.
I hear you; I didn't mean it quite the same way as it sounded. I just tend to think that if a guy goes to the dugout and doesn't point or taunt or do anything until he gets to the dugout, and then fumes a little, he's earned a little latitude for not showing the guy up in front of the world. I understand and accept that. And I do it without being or showing weakness.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Aug 05, 2009 at 04:39pm.