Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan View Post
YGBSM.

Better leave that 'tool' in your box...
This is not a call that is voluntarily made by the umpire. The ruling is a result of the defense appealing the infraction. My ruling concerning this infraction will take into count different criteria, including whether or not it is a valid appeal, whether or not the defense is nit picking, whether or not the offense is a PITA, or as in the case of the original OP, the BR is in the process of abandoning his base, etc. If this appeal ever comes up, and it never has in over 1000 games of all levels, I will make an appropriate ruling. Even though I have not had the opportunity to rule on this appeal, I know that there are acceptable and unacceptable ways to handle situations that involve this particular rule. So no, I am sh*tting you and this "tool" will remain in my toolbox.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2009, 05:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
My ruling concerning this infraction will take into count different criteria, including whether or not it is a valid appeal, whether or not the defense is nit picking, whether or not the offense is a PITA, or as in the case of the original OP, the BR is in the process of abandoning his base, etc.
So, you plan on just making things up as you go, huh?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
and this "tool" will remain in my toolbox.
ah, good, you are taking my advice, then.
Old Fri Jul 31, 2009, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Take care

Quote:
This is not a call that is voluntarily made by the umpire. The ruling is a result of the defense appealing the infraction. My ruling concerning this infraction will take into count different criteria, including whether or not it is a valid appeal, whether or not the defense is nit picking, whether or not the offense is a PITA, or as in the case of the original OP, the BR is in the process of abandoning his base, etc. If this appeal ever comes up, and it never has in over 1000 games of all levels, I will make an appropriate ruling. Even though I have not had the opportunity to rule on this appeal, I know that there are acceptable and unacceptable ways to handle situations that involve this particular rule. So no, I am sh*tting you and this "tool" will remain in my toolbox.
May be using the wrong word because abandonment is not an appeal option under rule 7.10. BTW, most cases of abandonment take place in the last inning. See recent Ohio ruling in playoff game {link still available?} where B/R took part in celebration before immediately proceeding to 1B. Abandonment call overturned in interesting protest decision.

Last edited by SAump; Fri Jul 31, 2009 at 02:35pm.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
May be using the wrong word because abandonment is not an appeal option under rule 7.10. BTW, most cases of abandonment take place in the last inning. See recent Ohio ruling in playoff game {link still available?} where B/R took part in celebration before immediately proceeding to 1B. Abandonment call overturned in interesting protest decision.
FYI, we weren't talking about abandonment.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
FYI, we weren't talking about abandonment.
From the OP

Quote:
Game last night I was BU. R2 so I am in C. BR hits grounder to short. Throw from short is low and not dug out by the first baseman. I call the runner safe. The runner apparently thought he was out and was walking back to the dugout where he was tagged (on the dugout side of the 1st base coaching box below the bag). I called him out. I got a mild argument for the O coach but nothing bad.

After the game I looked up abandonment in JR (which I don't have with me now) which says something to the effect that this would be abandonment if the BR has no intent of returning to the base. He had no intent until the first baseman ran over to tag him.
Yes we are talking about abandonment at least that is what the poster wanted to know.

if you want to talk about appeals then begin another thread.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Abandonment is correct call as runner left the base / basepath. Totally a judgement call by umpire. It would be considered desertion if batter-runner did same before reaching 1B. NFHS BR would have to reach deadball territory..Pro BR would only have to leave dirt area of plate.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Yes we are talking about abandonment at least that is what the poster wanted to know.

if you want to talk about appeals then begin another thread.

Pete Booth
Maybe if you would read the entire discussion concerning the original OP, you would see that I was discussing that an appeal could have been a reasonable option for the out call, as well as abandonment.

My FYI was directed towards SAump's misunderstanding of what I had posted earlier concerning said appeal in a discussion within this thread with SDS, LMan and mbyron.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 06:36pm

Talking

"Can't we all just get along." - Rodney King
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
"Can't we all just get along." - Rodney King
I concur.