Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: ~Sigh~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Location of the pitch can make it a strike -- simply holding the bat cannot.
I feel that I have not been clear enough. I am not saying or implying that only holding the bat in the zone is a strike.

I am trying to counter (what I perceive to be) the idea that holding the bat in the zone, and not moving, is a ball (when the pitch is out of the strike zone).

Possible play: If the player holds the bat in the zone (anywhere, the middle or the edges), and the does not move the bat after the initial placement, and the pitch comes close to, and in such a way that the it appears the player need not move the bat to make the bunt.

I feel that a strike should be called, as in my judgment an attempt has been made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Don't make up rules.
I don't feel that I am making up rules, but only seeing an interpretation that does apply to some instances, but not all.
GFGartland - #85
Assistant Chief Umpire
Bloomington Athletic Association
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

"Possible play: If the player holds the bat in the zone (anywhere, the middle or the edges), and the does not move the bat after the initial placement, and the pitch comes close to, and in such a way that the it appears the player need not move the bat to make the bunt."

You are joking right. Is this like from the King James version of interpretations?

Ok, you didn't make up a rule but you have really butchered an interpretation.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 06:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfgartland View Post
I feel that I have not been clear enough. I am not saying or implying that only holding the bat in the zone is a strike.
Hmmmmm...but then:

Quote:
I am trying to counter (what I perceive to be) the idea that holding the bat in the zone, and not moving, is a ball (when the pitch is out of the strike zone).
And you are basing this counter on...?

Quote:
Possible play: If the player holds the bat in the zone (anywhere, the middle or the edges), and the does not move the bat after the initial placement, and the pitch comes close to, and in such a way that the it appears the player need not move the bat to make the bunt.
Not a strike.

Quote:
I feel that a strike should be called, as in my judgment an attempt has been made.
Then you are wrongly judging if the batter made no attempt and the pitch was not in the strike zone.

I
Quote:
don't feel that I am making up rules, but only seeing an interpretation that does apply to some instances, but not all.
It does not apply to a pitch which is out of the strike zone. There is no instance that will make it true, so you are making up rules.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And of course as with many things in this great game, we get to decide what is an attempt. A player who holds his bat in the strike-zone and then doesn't move at all when the ball comes through the zone, is going to be lookin' at 0-1 when the next pitch comes. (Assuming the count was 0-0.) ................

............................. I don't feel that I am making up rules, but only seeing an interpretation that does apply to some instances, but not all.
Maybe you need to look at what a strike is by definition in the rule books. I will provide OBR, NCAA and FED for you.

OBR Section 2
A STRIKE is a legal pitch when so called by the umpire, which—
(a) Is struck at by the batter and is missed;
(b) Is not struck at, if any part of the ball passes through any part of the strike zone;
(c) Is fouled by the batter when he has less than two strikes;
(d) Is bunted foul;
(e) Touches the batter as he strikes at it;
(f) Touches the batter in flight in the strike zone; or
(g) Becomes a foul tip.

NCAA
Strike

A legal pitch that can be called for one of eight criteria (see 7-4).

NCAA 7-4
A Strike
SECTION 4. A strike is:

a. A legal pitch struck at by the batter without the ball touching the bat;
b. A legal pitch that enters the strike zone (see definition and diagram in Rule 2) in flight and is not struck at;
A.R. 1—The plate umpire should determine if the pitch is a strike in relationship to the batter’s normal position as the pitch crosses home plate. Any part of the ball passing over
any part of the plate, from the bottom of the kneecaps to the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, is a strike. The pitch should be judged to
be a strike or a ball as it crosses home plate, not where it is caught by the catcher.
A.R. 2—If a pitched ball strikes the ground in front of the batter and the batter swings at it, the ball is in play if hit and a strike if missed.
c. A legal pitch that becomes a foul not caught on the fly when the batter has fewer than two strikes;
d. An attempt to bunt that results in a foul not legally caught;
e. A legal pitch that touches the batter when the batter swings and misses (the ball is dead and no runners advance);
f. A foul tip;
g. Awarded after the batter fails to take a position in the batter’s box immediately after ordered by the umpire (see 7-1-b-[2] and 7-1-d); and
h. Awarded if the batter deliberately steps back in the box or swings in such a manner to attempt to create catcher’s interference. If the swing hits the catcher or the mitt, the batter shall be called out. All base runners shall return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch.

FED 7-2-1

SECTION 2 STRIKES, BALLS AND HITS
ART. 1 ...
A strike is charged to the batter when:
a. a pitch enters any part of the strike zone in flight and is not struck at;
b. a pitch is struck at and missed (even if the pitch touches the batter);
c. a pitch becomes a foul when the batter has less than two strikes;
d. a pitch becomes a foul tip (even on third strike) or a foul from an attempted bunt;
e. a batter delays (6-2-4d-1 and 7-3-1); or
f. a batted ball contacts the batter in the batter's box (foul ball).
There, now did you see your statement anywhere in the rules listed? I didn't think so and that means you are making up rules! That is unless you are officiating fast pitch softball, then you are absolutely correct as of 2008.

You are correct in saying that we determine what an offer is but you must have an offer to determine one. Holding the bat motionless in the zone does not constitute an offer in baseball under any circumstances.

Also, the learned umpires that were trying to guide you have over 150 years experience combined. One of them has over 4000 games logged officiating all three of the rule sets you see above including MiLB. It would behoove you to listen to these people.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Nice Work

Quote:

I am trying to counter (what I perceive to be) the idea
that holding the bat in the zone, and not moving, is a ball (when the pitch is out of the strike zone). Possible play: If the player holds the bat in the zone (anywhere, the middle or the edges), and the does not move the bat after the initial placement, and the pitch comes close to, and in such a way that the it appears the player need not move the bat to make the bunt.

I don't feel that I am making up rules, but only seeing an interpretation that does apply to some instances, but not all.
You're saying a ball sailed over/under the motionless bat and you're going to call it a strike.

The part in bold is not a strike, it is a ball, and I believe you know it to be true.
The part in red is directly opposite of what is true.
Stop trying so hard to make a wrong a right.

Now if the pitch is in the strike zone, I'm with you and just about everyone else.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Apr 15, 2009 at 09:26pm.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I can see how you might feel that this last post was ridiculous (per my responses above), but so is making a comment such as this.
Although I think you are a troll, it appears that the members agree with me and not with you.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Verbalizing the Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
Although I think you are a troll, it appears that the members agree with me and not with you.
After five pitches, I have two balls, three strikes.
The guy needed info. Glad to provide it.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Apr 15, 2009 at 09:44pm.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Good post Ozzy, It's amazing how those defenitions always have such good info in them.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Reply 1 of 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
Stop trying so hard to make a wrong a right.
I am not trying to do that, I am trying to really get into the rules. I am trying to look at a different angle, and really see how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
I am disappointed with your lack of professionalism. I cannot believe that this is how you would speak (which is essentially what we are doing here) to someone after only knowing them a max of 3 days and talking with them twice. I hope that if you are ever on the field with a rookie you treat them with .01% more respect then you have extended to me, and give them the benefit of the doubt when they ask you for guidance.

But really looking at what you have said in this thread, you have not stated an answer, put forth a question or asked an opinion. All you have done is hurled insults at someone who is trying to better themselves. Sounds similar to another group of people in this world that I know.
GFGartland - #85
Assistant Chief Umpire
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Reply 2 of 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
FED 7-2-1

SECTION 2 STRIKES, BALLS AND HITS
ART. 1 ...
A strike is charged to the batter when:
a. a pitch enters any part of the strike zone in flight and is not struck at;
b. a pitch is struck at and missed (even if the pitch touches the batter);
c. a pitch becomes a foul when the batter has less than two strikes;
d. a pitch becomes a foul tip (even on third strike) or a foul from an attempted bunt;
e. a batter delays (6-2-4d-1 and 7-3-1); or
f. a batted ball contacts the batter in the batter's box (foul ball).

There, now did you see your statement anywhere in the rules listed? I didn't think so and that means you are making up rules!
FED RULE 2
SECTION 8: Bunt

A bunt is a fair ball in which the batter does not swing to hit the ball, but holds the bat in the path of the ball to tap it slowly to the infield. (the rest is irrelevant to this discussion).

I see nothing in this rule stating that the bat need be moving to be considered a bunt, only that it be held. I am also aware that the rules also do not state that an attempted bunt is a strike. So to me would indicate that to be able to call an attempted bunt a strike, holding the bat in the path of the ball would have to be defined then as striking at the ball.
GFGartland - #85
Assistant Chief Umpire

Last edited by gfgartland; Wed Apr 15, 2009 at 11:20pm. Reason: Unhidden code in quote
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
FED RULE 2
SECTION 8: Bunt

A bunt is a fair ball in which the batter does not swing to hit the ball, but holds the bat in the path of the ball to tap it slowly to the infield. (the rest is irrelevant to this discussion).

I see nothing in this rule stating that the bat need be moving to be considered a bunt, only that it be held. I am also aware that the rules also do not state that an attempted bunt is a strike. So to me would indicate that to be able to call an attempted bunt a strike, holding the bat in the path of the ball would have to be defined then as striking at the ball.
From what you quote, contact with the ball needs to take place for the definition of a bunt to be met.

Thus we are left with the definition of a strike when that does not ocurr. No need to repost that.

Your are clearly wrong in your interpretation. Tell me, is this interpretation held by all the paid umpires of the Bloomington Athletic Association, the "largest volunteer organization in America?" (Wouldn't that be a contradiction?)

Last edited by Ump153; Wed Apr 15, 2009 at 11:23pm.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Stop trying

Quote:
Are you sure the bat needs to be held?
Provide an example of an attempted bunt attempt that is not called a strike.
I threw the ball. You had time to move the bat out of the way.
The ball hits your bat on the knob of the handle outside the strike zone.
Ball or strike?
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Reply 3 of 2 (Forgot something)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Also, the learned umpires that were trying to guide you have over 150 years experience combined. One of them has over 4000 games logged officiating all three of the rule sets you see above including MiLB. It would behoove you to listen to these people.
I am listening to these people, that is the reason that I joined to open my mind to the knowledge elsewhere in this game. I also trying to (as I said previously ) to look at things from another perspective. This is something that I have been doing with other umpires on a face-to-face basis for years. Someone throws out a "I had this happen..." and we discuss. Typically it leads us to some interesting and outrageous "If this happened..." I am sorry if my tactics (for lack of a better word) were misconstrued as being stubborn.
GFGartland - #85
Assistant Chief Umpire
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Trick Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
Are you sure the bat needs to be held?
Provide an example of an attempted bunt attempt that is not called a strike.
I threw the ball. You had time to move the bat out of the way.
The ball hits your bat on the knob of the handle outside the strike zone.
Ball or strike?
In this instance it is neither, it is either a fair or foul ball. Depending on where it comes to rest or is first touched.
GFGartland - #85
Assistant Chief Umpire
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Tell me, is this interpretation held by all the paid umpires of the Bloomington Athletic Association, the "largest volunteer organization in America?" (Wouldn't that be a contradiction?)
Not every last person involved with BAA is unpaid. Just as not all personnel of a volunteer fire department are unpaid. Our officials are the only paid people in the system. That is to off-set the cost clothing and training, as well as to keeping ourselves competitive in the area of scheduling when our umpires work more than one league/association.

I cannot tell you what the interpretation of every umpire in BAA is because, I am not in their head, and until I read this thread it was not an event that had crossed my mind.
GFGartland - #85
Assistant Chief Umpire