The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 10, 2001, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I currently umpire from ages 11-18 but not highschool level and when i am behind the plate i try to call a consistant strike zone just that when i call a border line pitch i feel that my whole strike zone is thrown off. If anyone can help me with some tips on how to get over this and some ways to perfect my strike zone i would appreciate it, thanks
Old Sun Jun 10, 2001, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

This of it like this... you know that game Operation? Well, You can't touch the sides of the metal or you get buzzed right? Well, call strikes and balls like that. Gotta be in there, no touchy touchy. Hope it helps.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2001, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Take each pitch one at a time -- if you really do tank one, don't carry it into the next pitch; even the guys in MLB make mistakes! (A good friend in MLB says that he works for a perfect game but understands that 3-4 per game could be wrong)

Follow the pitch into the glove -- it really helps to avoid the low mistake.

Set up with your head at the top of tha catcher's. You find the top of the zone very easily.

Let the catcher and batter assist you when possible (they tend to send messages with their body language)

Delay your call --- see it into the glove and replay it, THEN call it.

Keep your chin up --- it's the guys who care and work to improve that are the winners in the long run. Good luck moving up to HS ball when you're ready.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

My Two Cents

Here is my two cents from a third year with only about 50 or so games behind the plate.

1.) When you work the bases, try to call every pitch. Notice how the batters/pitchers/coaches react to called pitches. Notice how different each PU's strike zone can be.
Notice how easy to call pitches when you do not have the "pressure" to be right.

2.) When you work the plate, work on one thing during the game. Whether it be a consistent routine, consistent head height, watching the pitch to the glove, delaying the call, etc. pick one thing for the game. After each half inning, ask yourself how you did? What did you do right? What can do the next half inning to improve?

3.) RELAX. With more game experience, comes more confidence. Until then fake it til you make it by reminding yourself it is a game and you are trying your best.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Wink More advice

All good advice. I could add (at least) one more piece: Keep your head as still as possible and follow the ball into the catcher's glove with only your eyes.

The most common thing that occurs if you're having problem with a strike zone is that you're calling pitches too fast. As was mentioned in other posts, don't even start to decide whether the ball was a ball or strike until you see the catcher catch the ball. If you do this, your timing will slow down and your zone will improve.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Track the ball all the way into the glove. This should help you to keep from calling pitches caught near the ground a strike.

As the ball leaves the pitchers hand assume you are going to call it a strike until the pitch proves otherwise.

A pitch that makes you think "I'm not sure" is close enough to be called a strike (especially if your doubt is whether the pitch is inside or outside).
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

You have received a lot of great advice, and
a lot of it I am going to steal. Seriously,
heed what has been passed on and the only thing
I can add is have mental pitcure of a frame,
surrounding your strike zone. If the ball enters
that zone, ring it up. Good luck
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by ump0001
I currently umpire from ages 11-18 but not highschool level and when i am behind the plate i try to call a consistant strike zone just that when i call a border line pitch i feel that my whole strike zone is thrown off. If anyone can help me with some tips on how to get over this and some ways to perfect my strike zone i would appreciate it, thanks

My mentor and also many instructors said to me " There are no border line strikes / balls". If it's close then it is a strike I know it's taboo here, but there was an article in referee on this very issue and the article urged all umpires to start calling more strikes.

Do not get thrown off or feel bad when calling balls / strikes. When you punch somebody out, obviously B1 is going to be upset, but F1 will be happy. "That's the nature of the beast".

Now to some tips. First and foremost attend a clinic when you get the chance. Many people will give you advice, but when you attend a clinic go with an open mind and learn for yourself as to what works best for you.

Let's start with the stance. Basically, there are 3 methods - The box, the scizzors and getting down on one knee. All are accepted, so experiment when you are doing scrimmage games to see which one you feel most comfortable with.

As a hitter, we were taught to watch the ball right from F1's hand and keep our eye on it. Same is true when umpiring behind the plate. Pick up the ball and follow right to F2's mitt.

Stay down and do not come-up quickly. If any portion of the ball "touches the corners" it is a strike. Now for the high and low pitches. There a variety of methods out there, but the one that works for me is as follows:

When B1 comes up, I position my head at the top end of the zone. If I have to raise my eyes or look up when the pitch comes in - it's a ball, if it's eye level it's a strike. By doing this I found myself to be consistent in calling the so called "high" strike.

The low pitch is more difficult and there I rely on F2 somewhat. In other words, if F2 turns his glove as if he were scooping the ball, that gives the appearance that the pitch is low and I will call ball, however, if F2 catches the ball cleanly and doesn't move glove at all - we have a strike.

Now you said you umpire ages 11 / 18. We could have a debate all by itslef concerning this, but your strike zone will vary according to the talent level of the players playing. I and many people do not like a walk-a-thon, so one's zone will tend to be wider in the low divisions to get the kids to swing the bats and move the game along.

All in all, I would recommend a mechanics clinic so you do not develop a bias. Also, as with many things Practice, Practice, Practice.

Good Luck!

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Re: My Two Cents

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike M
Here is my two cents from a third year with only about 50 or so games behind the plate.

1.) When you work the bases, try to call every pitch. Notice how the batters/pitchers/coaches react to called pitches. Notice how different each PU's strike zone can be.
Notice how easy to call pitches when you do not have the "pressure" to be right.

I have trained or evaluated hundreds of umpires. It took me five or six years to discover the above secret. It is one of the most important things that I learned in becoming a better plate man. To expand a little bit on Mike's advice:

Watch what the catcher, batter, and umpire did on each pitch that the coaches/benches reacted negatively too. You want to develop a series of "tells" that will clue you in on when to call a ball or a strike. The catcher, especially, is giving you clues. If the bench reacts negatively to a strike call of the PU, study where that pitch was and how the catcher handled it. Make a note to yourself to call those pitches balls when you get behind the plate. Study the ball calls that produce negative results. Try to make those pitches strikes, when you get behind the plate. (Of course, if you are at a Little League game where they react negatively to everything that goes against them, this won't work.) )

In addition, you can go to games and watch from many different angles. Pretty soon you will have so many clues that you could call the game with your eyes only on the batter and catcher. You would never have to see the ball at all. I have not recommending that, only pointing out that there are so many other things to study when determining whether a pitch is a ball or a strike.

Mike has put his finger on another truism. It is easier to track the flight of an object moving away from you, than towards you. Besides being relaxed, it is another reason that the base umpire (from B or C) can more accurately call pitches than the plate man.

Peter
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: My Two Cents

Originally posted by His High Holiness

Mike has put his finger on another truism. It is easier to track the flight of an object moving away from you, than towards you. Besides being relaxed, it is another reason that the base umpire (from B or C) can more accurately call pitches than the plate man.

Peter I always wondered why the PU was needed other than to call Fair / Foul on those close down the line shots. You are right it is much easier to call Balls / Strikes from the mound. Also, F2 cannot block your view from the mound.

The only thing the PU might have a better view on is did B1 hit the pitch out of the box or not. However, when comparing advantages vs. disadvantages from doing the game behind the mound, IMO there are more advantages.

The problem at least in my association is that when umpiring solo - you must be behind the plate.

Leagues could save themselves money by simply assigning one man crews, if umpiring from behind the mound was acceptable.
Also, think of the money we could save - Plate Shoes / Inside Protector / Shinguards / Mask / Plate Pants and misc. accessories associated with doing the plate.

Pete Booth

Old Fri Jun 15, 2001, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: My Two Cents

"1.) When you work the bases, try to call every pitch. Notice how the batters/pitchers/coaches react to called pitches. Notice how different each PU's strike zone can be.
Notice how easy to call pitches when you do not have the "pressure" to be right."
Quote from Pete
__________________________________________________ ________

I think that we have to be real careful not to always react to what a coach is saying. I use to always listen to the coach and as I became more experienced, I realized that he was just trying to throw me off. I have coaches that make the call before the ball even hits the catchers glove. This can get you into real if you echo his call. I usually try to block out what the coaches say unless I think that he may have a legitimate gripe after I have pondered my call for a few seconds. Listening to the coach/bench while you are the field umpire can get you into real trouble on a close play. One time I called a guy out just because I heard the coach call him out. I figured he must have seen something that I didn't. The opposing coach came out and said that that was the worse call that he has ever seen. It was his opinion that the runner was safe.

My point is this: You can take suggestions from the sideline but ultimately you must make the call on what you saw and not on what everyone else is saying.

[Edited by Gre144 on Jun 15th, 2001 at 12:44 AM]
Old Sun Jun 17, 2001, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Looking for Strikes

One of the better known NCAA umpires, Jon Bible, has an interesting theory. He thinks "strike" until the pitch convinces him otherwise.
Don't worry about your "borderline" calls, they were probably strikes anyway. If you start calling close pitches "balls", you will have all marginal hitters waiting for walks, rather than trying to put the ball in play.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2001, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

To elaborate more on slowing down your timing, don't just delay your verbal announcement of your decision. In getting proper timing you want to be sure you are tracking the ball with your eyes to F2's glove. Then you are making your decision, not before. Take your time, then make your announcement. There is no hurry. Doing so will also aid you in staying relaxed. You will likely get more pitches right and build greater confidence in your platework.

Remember though, slowing your timing down is slowing down where you make the decision of whether the pitch is a ball or a strike, not merely waiting longer to announce a decision that you made too quickly. It may take longer than you think to perfect your timing, but when you get it, you will know. You will be far more relaxed. Quick timing is one the most common problems among newer officials.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Fri Jun 22, 2001, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Looking for Strikes

Quote:
Originally posted by senior

Don't worry about your "borderline" calls, they were probably strikes anyway. If you start calling close pitches "balls", you will have all marginal hitters waiting for walks, rather than trying to put the ball in play.
I agree in principle, but then you still have to draw lines as an umpire. If you consider a pitch just off the black as a borderline pitch, what about 2 inches, what about 3 inches, and so on.

I've convinced myself that all borderline pitches are strikes, but that creates a new borderline about 3 inches outside and an inch inside. And I've decided that those "new-border-line" pitches should be half the time balls and half the time strikes using my best guess on each pitch it usually works out.

I've also decided that the strike zone is slightly oval, and that a pitch at the top of the strike zone and 3 inches outside is actually a ball. In other words, the pitch isn't too high and it isn't too far outside, but the combination looks ugly to everyone when they see the catcher reach up and out. No one wants me to call that a strike. The same goes for the other top and bottom corners.

At first, I felt like I was cheating when not strictly following the book, but then I realized that my job was to allow 2 teams to play their game, and call it the way the people involved want it called.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2001, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Re: Re: Looking for Strikes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joemoore
Quote:
Originally posted by senior
At first, I felt like I was cheating when not strictly following the book, but then I realized that my job was to allow 2 teams to play their game, and call it the way the people involved want it called.

Joe said what was perhaps the single best paragraph in this whole thread.

Don't be bigger than the game, folks. Allow local custom and practice to dictate your zone. If everyone complains that your strike zone is too low, consider raising it. If they think it's too high, consider lowering it. If they say you're squeezing pitchers, widen it out some. If you're known as having an enormous strike zone, consider paring it down if there's a lot of complaints. It's their game, not yours.

Now, I'm not talking about changing your zone several times in a game. It's more of a gradual evolution. Slowly, you will develop a consistent zone based on what everyone expects. When you do that, you will gain a reputation of plate work excellence.

If all that happens, your next problem will be how to deal with all the assignors who ring your phone day and night.

That's the truth.