The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 01:36pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

{This was meant to be a reply to "How does pitching skill affect your zone?" I guess I hit the wrong button}

Here's one that should get a few laughs ...

JV HS Girls (NFHS for what it's worth).

Our season opener. We had a squad of 11 -- 7 of which were soccer players who got cut during tryouts and are playing in a softball game for the very first time. We are visitng a team who does very well year to year, and it's apparent the game is going to be a mismatch. Since our JV Coaches (father and son) had a death in the family and we didn't know who would cover them, I got asked to be JV Coach. Luckily the son was there so I didn't have to coach by myself. I likely would have been tossed . But on to the situation:

Our pitcher is pitching for the first time ever (she had around 20 wild pitches, but I admire her for toughing it out for 3 innings). She pitches one that goes just above the batter's head and the PU rings up a strike. And no, the batter didn't swing.

Naturally, the home team (opposing) coach is livid . I tell my coaching partner "It's a bad call, but if I was up 19-0 [which they were at that point], I wouldn't want to make the umps mad."

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball