The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   bat in strike zone (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/52843-bat-strike-zone.html)

btdt Tue Apr 14, 2009 09:33am

bat in strike zone

I have tried for days to find the rule in Fed book that holding the bat over the plate doesn't constitute a strike if the pitch isn't in the strike zone.
Can anyone provide the rule number? I know I have seen it in writing.

UmpJM Tue Apr 14, 2009 09:38am

btdt,

Fed Case Play 7.2.1B - last sentence.

JM

btdt Tue Apr 14, 2009 09:50am

Thank you

ozzy6900 Tue Apr 14, 2009 06:21pm

It is only a strike in softball (as of this year, I believe).

waltjp Tue Apr 14, 2009 06:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 596001)
It is only a strike in softball (as of this year, I believe).

You are correct, Sir!

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Joh...C10038214.jpeg

ozzy6900 Wed Apr 15, 2009 06:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 596002)

I never realized how much I look like Ed McMahnn!

swkansasref33 Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:16pm

so on a bunt its not a strike if their bat is out over the zone and the ball isnt a strike?

jicecone Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by swkansasref33 (Post 596094)
so on a bunt its not a strike if their bat is out over the zone and the ball isnt a strike?

As long as no attempt is made to make contact with the ball, NO, it is not a strike.

gfgartland Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 596095)
As long as no attempt is made to make contact with the ball, NO, it is not a strike.

And of course as with many things in this great game, we get to decide what is an attempt. A player who holds his bat in the strike-zone and then doesn't move at all when the ball comes through the zone, is going to be lookin' at 0-1 when the next pitch comes. (Assuming the count was 0-0.)

Tim C Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:57pm

Hmmm,

Quote:

"And of course as with many things in this great game, we get to decide what is an attempt. A player who holds his bat in the strike-zone and then doesn't move at all when the ball comes through the zone, is going to be lookin' at 0-1 when the next pitch comes. (Assuming the count was 0-0.)"
So, I am assuming that you are calling the location of the pitch not simply having the bat over the plate, right?

You have confused me a little.

Regards,

mrm21711 Wed Apr 15, 2009 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfgartland (Post 596097)
And of course as with many things in this great game, we get to decide what is an attempt. A player who holds his bat in the strike-zone and then doesn't move at all when the ball comes through the zone, is going to be lookin' at 0-1 when the next pitch comes. (Assuming the count was 0-0.)

You have made 3 posts in the last 2 days and all 3 have been ridiculous.

MrUmpire Wed Apr 15, 2009 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfgartland (Post 596097)

So whenever the ball comes through the zone, you call a strike. Is that news?

MrUmpire Wed Apr 15, 2009 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm21711 (Post 596108)

As with assistant coaches, maybe assistant umpires are a little goofy.

gfgartland Wed Apr 15, 2009 03:36pm

I am quoting out of order....

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 596109)
So whenever the ball comes through the zone, you call a strike. Is that news?

I apologize, I should have worded my response differently. I do call all pitches that come through the zone as strikes. I should have stated, "when the pitch comes in."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 596100)
So, I am assuming that you are calling the location of the pitch not simply having the bat over the plate, right?

You have confused me a little.

Regards,

I am calling what I perceive to be an attempt at the pitch. I cannot see any other logical reason for the bat to be in the strike zone other than to be offering at the pitch. (As always I am willing to see other points of view on this.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm21711 (Post 596108)

I can see how you might feel that this last post was ridiculous (per my responses above), but so is making a comment such as this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 596110)
As with assistant coaches, maybe assistant umpires are a little goofy.

We are a goofy breed, I will admit. We have to be able to talk umpire, coach, director, league and board member, and many times translate between all of them.

Tim C Wed Apr 15, 2009 04:04pm

~Sigh~

Quote:

"I am calling what I perceive to be an attempt at the pitch. I cannot see any other logical reason for the bat to be in the strike zone other than to be offering at the pitch. (As always I am willing to see other points of view on this.)"
Sadly this is what I thought you meant.

We can't make it anymore simple. In baseball simply holding the bat over the plate does not indicate an attempt. There has to be clear movement of the bat to attempt to hit the ball for it to be called a strike.

Location of the pitch can make it a strike -- simply holding the bat cannot.

Don't make up rules.