The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Why do so many ump's enlarge the strike zone when the rule book dictates the length and width. Does this make you look better or you entering into the game. Is this why the coaches are looking for call for them?
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Lightbulb

Your question is verbatim what I asked when I joined my local umpires association earlier this year. The following explanation was provided.

"At the level of baseball that we work, HS and below, we don't see pitchers that have the talent of those in the "bigs". If we are to enforce the strikezone as written in the rule book, which is owned and created by MLB, we would be on the field all day and all night into next week. This is not a good situation for the players, coaches, umps or parents. In general it is not good for the game. By expanding the zone a bit, we accomplish a couple of things. One, we move the game along for the enjoyment of all, participants and fans. Two, we help force kids to take a swing at that outside pitch and learn that they really can hit it, just like coach/mom/dad said. The nature of our role in amatuer baseball is that of a teacher, coach and mentor to all participants of the sport. So, for the good of the game, expand, if needed, the strike zone."

When I was told this, by a senior official, I thought skeptically, no way, not me. The rule book says this, that is what I will enforce. Then, I worked my first game. 3 1/2 hours, 7 innings, JV baseball. The kids were miserable, the coaches were livid, the parents were hot, and me, I was thinking this umpire stuff SUCKS! After the game, another of the senior umpires, who called my games when I was a player 10-15 years ago, did a little teaching and coaching for me. He said open the zone up, explained what he meant, showed me what he meant, and guess what. . .I am hooked as an umpire for life. I am proud to say that my game has gotten much better and the other night I did a 7 inning game in 1 hour and 40 minutes. . .big deal, why does time matter? Because there were only 6 strikeouts all night. So for the good of the game, I will follow the advice of my senior umpires and open it up when the pitcher needs help finding that zone.

--
jumpmaster al

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

[i]Originally posted by davidn

Why do so many ump's enlarge the strike zone when the rule book dictates the length and width. Does this make you look better or you entering into the game. Is this why the coaches are looking for call for them?

First off let's define the term Open up the zone

It doesn't mean we are being rediculous. Most umpires (unless the game is a REAL blowout and there is No Mercy rule) will not jeopardize the "top" and "bottom" of the zone. What we do is expand the width of the plate - generally 3 inches on either side.

It used to be that umpires would give 3-4 inches on the outside but only 1-2 on the inside, however, with the advent of the metal bat that attitude has changed.

I do not know of anyone who likes a "postage" stamp zone. The game drags and it's not fun. Once the players come up to bat with the attitude "I better swing" moves the game along. Also these players might actually become hitters instead of spectators at the plate.

In addition, the defense doesn't fall a sleep, all of a sudden balls are hit to them and they are more alert.

The strike zone is cause for much debate and the real definition of the strike zone is:

That which is accepted for the level of play we are umpiring. For example our strike zone for modifyed HS ball is not the same as varsity.

IMO that's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Even our Bretheran MLB umpires do not call the zone strictly by the book. The prooven pitcher's such as Schilling, The Big Unit, Mariano, Maddux, Glavin to name a few get that little extra.

Pete Booth
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, the right zone for the level of play, and I think that does include stretching it a bit up and down. When two varsity pitchers are consistently blazing strikes below the belt, then a pitch at the letters looks awfully high. When two JV pitchers are trying to find the plate, a pitch at the letters or a little below the knees looks pretty good, and everyone in the park except the batter wants it to be called a strike.

Even in MLB—let's call the pitch in question the fastball belt high and two inches outside. Pitcher comes up, looks at strike one and two right down the middle without moving the bat off his shoulder. The third pitch is the pitch in question. Batter keeps the bat on his shoulder. Strike 3, right?

Next batter, lefty hitting .345, rips the first pitch foul past first base. Pulls the next pitch deep to right, but it goes foul at the last instant. Comes back to the plate shaking his head, saying to himself, "Come on, wait on the pitch." Now the belt-high fastball two inches outside. Batter looks at it contemptuously and begins to get set for the next pitch. Well, it was strike 3 to the previous batter . . .
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by davidn
Why do so many ump's enlarge the strike zone?
No one yet has really touched on the answer to this question. To me, the answer is obvious. Why do we enlarge the strike zone?

More strikes means more time for beer.
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Say a ball is 4 inches off the plate, catcher catches it right where he set up. This is a strike. When the ball is traveling in at 75+ mph you honestly cannot see that 4 inches, especially on the outside corner. The ball is a blur, so 4 inches may even be 6. The ball looks like it catches the corner.
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAblue87
Say a ball is 4 inches off the plate, catcher catches it right where he set up. This is a strike. When the ball is traveling in at 75+ mph you honestly cannot see that 4 inches, especially on the outside corner. The ball is a blur, so 4 inches may even be 6. The ball looks like it catches the corner.
Have to disagree with this. If I see a catcher's glove set up off the plate and he catches the ball without moving, then I know it's a ball. The fans and coaches can make all the noise they want but it is not fair to the batters to allow the catcher to determine the strike zone.

On another note, I do not think the actual location of the strike zone is as important as the consistency of it. I called a 13-14 year old game the other day and after the first two batters, everyone on the field knew that I was not going to give them the high strike so the batters stopped swinging at it and the pitchers stopped throwing it.

In my case, I will change my strike zone in the following two circumstances:

1) The younger the division, the larger the strike zone. In minors, it's enormous, but I expect 15-16 year olds to have better consistency and operate with a regulation zone.

2) When we are in a mercy situation, the strike zone expands. Not even the losing team wants to stay out there in that situation.
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter
More strikes means more time for beer.
As Ive heard it:

More strikes means more outs.
More outs means more innings.
More innings means more games.
More games means more money.
More money means more beer.
More beer means more sleep.

Sleep is good.
Call more strikes.
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, I have been looking over catchers shoulders for over 16 yrs and havent seen a strike zone yet. So I question how everyone else knows exactly where it is except us umpires.

"Why do so many ump's enlarge the strike zone?"

This can be broken down into two questions:

1.Why? This has been asked by mankind since the begining of time. Great statesmen and scholars have debated this for years. Scientists, inventors, doctors, lawyers, engineers, presidents and great religious priests and ministers have come and gone, and still not found an answer to this question. And any more will pass over great baseball diamond we live on and still, not find this answer.

2. Do so many ump's enlarge the strike zone?"
YOU BET WE DO.
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

You know, if I had more beer, I might have more guts to do something wild and crazy like walking down to the 3rd base coaches box, put on my mask and tell the pitcher to pitch. I would then proclaim loudly that you really can see the strike zone better from that angle!
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

LOL

I'd like to walk up into the bleachers, sit down next to the guy who has been razzing me the whole game and call from there. That would be a riot.
Old Sat May 11, 2002, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Doesnt rules dictate

That the umpire can go anywhere to call agame so that he can see everything better?
Old Sat May 11, 2002, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to toledotom46 Send a message via Yahoo to toledotom46
Wink Strike Zone is Defined on the pitcher's skill.

I first have to disagree with the gentleman who said,"can't tell the differance between a pitch 4" outside". I say" stay down at the Pony Little League level and do all the GOOD Varsity Umps a favor. I umpire high school in Ohio, some of the top Division 1 schools in our area. These kids can bring it where they want. Our region signed 6 pitchers to division 1 schools already. Giving them 4" on the outside corner all the time would make the batters and coaches GO Nuts! I agree about catching the corner, but I can definately see the catcher's mitt and the ball cross 4" outside @ 90+ and it is a ball to me! Oh yea, for those who can't a GOOD UMPIRING Camp might do the trick!
Old Sat May 11, 2002, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

I am a strong proponant that the zone is established based on the level of the players. Definitely I would not call a Division 1 college strike zone in High School baseball. The pitchers do not have the maturity, discipline and control. The college conferences are asking us to call a little higher. A ball ond a half above the belt. High School that has always been a strike.

I know the umpiring experience in this forum is very diversified. And there are many philosophies. Basically my philosophy is know the level of the game that you are officiating. Establish a zone earl on and maintain that zone. Good teams will accomodate, and the bad will sy you sucked the whole game. At least they knew what to expect.

My reputation is that of having a larger zone. I call strikes. Hitable strikes. In the lower levels it is large outside and inside as long as it is on the lower part of the zone. This makes the batters learn to go with the pitch. Not always pull the ball. If they can master this technique they will go far. It also teaches the pitchers to hit spots. And rewarding them for hitting the spots. Making a little larger tham the upper levels. But getting the concept out there.

We are all here to see the players develop at every level. Nothing is better than seeing a player that you officiated make it to the next level and succeed.

Your reputation will be basically created based on your plate performance. Identify what your zone is going to be and work it to perfection. As you progress through the ranks your zone spots will be the same just a little more specific.

Not everyone will agree with this. The rules do not change at each level. So why should the zone? I do not know of anyone that has been successful in calling at good high school and above with the same zone they call in little league. And I do not know a successful umpire in Little League that can get away with calling a tight High School strike zone. And to finish it up, forget making it through umpire development in professional baseball with a high school strike zone.
Old Sat May 11, 2002, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackie W.
You know, if I had more beer, I might have more guts to do something wild and crazy like walking down to the 3rd base coaches box, put on my mask and tell the pitcher to pitch. I would then proclaim loudly that you really can see the strike zone better from that angle!
Some years ago, an umpire in our association did something similar. High school game. The home coach was complaining from the dugout on almost every pitch. About the 3rd or 4th inning, he went into their dugout to get a drink of water, and sat down while the pitcher was warming up. After the throw down, and everyone was set, he stayed in the dugout. The coach asked, "Aren't you going out there"? The reply was, "No. I'm going to call it from here, because you have a better view". No more complaints the rest of the game.

Bob