The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

This could be just be a local issue but maybe some of you around the country can help me. I tend to call a true strike zone in HS ball. I will not give the P a strike 3 inches off the plate. Some of my partners do. They seem to think it speeds the game up. I don't think that it is fair to the batter. I also call a strike at the batter's midsection (letters?) which coaches seem to think is high. Do I have to adjust? Could use some imput. By the way, I have been umpiring HS for about 20 years and the complaining has just started this year.

Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stripes1950
This could be just be a local issue but maybe some of you around the country can help me. I tend to call a true strike zone in HS ball. I will not give the P a strike 3 inches off the plate. Some of my partners do. They seem to think it speeds the game up. I don't think that it is fair to the batter. I also call a strike at the batter's midsection (letters?) which coaches seem to think is high. Do I have to adjust? Could use some imput. By the way, I have been umpiring HS for about 20 years and the complaining has just started this year.

The plate is 17 inches or some thing like that. The ball is 2 1/2 inches wide. Therefore the strike zone is 22 inches wide. Any part of the ball touching the plate is a strike. I tend to go another inch outside. (the batter can still easily hit the ball.) I agree that the letters is where the high strike should be. The key to calling a good game is to be consistent especially up and down. From the dugout or the third base coaches box the Coach can only see up and down and not the slightly inside or outside pitch. When strikes are called and the ball is put into play is when you have the best played games.

What's the best compliment a Coach can give? Batter to Coach after taking a called third strike. That pitch was ........ (fill in the blank). Quit complaning he's been calling that a strike the whole game.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you have been calling this way for 20 years, why has the complaining just started? Have you moved from one part of the county to another? If any part of the part of the ball just nicks the white part of the plate inside or outside it's a strike. If any part of the ball nicks the bottom of the knee, it's a strike. High is a bit difficult since a lot of HS coaches and players think anything above the belt is high, but it's not really too high until it gets above a line about 6 inches above the belt. A pitch over the plate just below the elbows of a batter with a normal stance is generally a pitch to be hammered, so it should be called a strike.

I'm looking at a graphic in Ted William's book "The Science of Hitting". He has a ball placed at every possible spot that he would swing at a pitch, and in each ball he has a batting average that he would hit if all the pitches were thrown there. From inside to outside, three balls above the strike zone he has numbers .310 or above. Down and away are the only numbers below .300. A pitch one ball, and even two balls over the middle and above the strike zone was a .350 ball for Ted. Ted was not normal so this may not apply to most hitters, but the point is call a strike if any part of the ball nicks any side of the strike zone, including the top, and the batters will swing more often.

I have been told by several coaches that they know what to expect, that I am generous on low pitches and not so generous on high. OK, so be it. At least they know. High school pitchers had better pitch low or they will get hammered up in the zone, so if they throw low and nick the zone, I call it.

And how the catcher catches it makes a difference. If he catches an outside pitch while reaching for it and falling to his knees then it's a ball. If he sets up on the corner and stiff arms a fast ball on the black, then he is likely to get this call for his pitcher.

But I don't call one that the entire ball is 3 inches outside a strike, even if the catcher stiff arms it, and it's 45 degrees and the wind is blowing 20 MPH and the team on defense is ahead by 12 runs in the 5th inning, unless the count is 3-0

[Edited by DG on Apr 25th, 2005 at 11:25 PM]
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

What's the best compliment a Coach can give? Batter to Coach after taking a called third strike. That pitch was ........ (fill in the blank). Quit complaning he's been calling that a strike the whole game.

Why do umpires think that's a compliment? All the coach is saying is that for whatever reason you have consistently believed that pitch to be a strike. The coach is not necessarily saying that that is a good thing.

I prefer hearing the coach say, "He's right that was a strike. You gotta swing at those."

Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
But I don't call one that the entire ball is 3 inches outside a strike, even if the catcher stiff arms it, and it's 45 degrees and the wind is blowing 20 MPH and the team on defense is ahead by 12 runs in the 5th inning, unless the count is 3-0
[/B]
LOL.. me either.

Your entire post was excellent.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Nope, haven't moved.

If you have been calling this way for 20 years, why has the complaining just started? Have you moved from one part of the county to another?

Still doing games for the same schools. I noticed that the coaches have changed. I think that a lot of the umps up here are calling wide and low strikes. The complaining seems to happen when I am PU for the 2nd of DH. I do call corners for strikes. I don't call a low strike. I received a "complaint" last week from a coach when I called a ball on a pitch outside in the other batters box. He said, "The catcher didn't even move his glove!" I hadn't really noticed where the catcher setup. I don't call according to anything but where the ball is when it crosses or comes near the plate. At any rate, thanks for the replies. I can deal with it. I just wondered if others were dealing with the same issue.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB

Why do umpires think that's a compliment? All the coach is saying is that for whatever reason you have consistently believed that pitch to be a strike. The coach is not necessarily saying that that is a good thing.

I prefer hearing the coach say, "He's right that was a strike. You gotta swing at those."

Because consistentcy is the most important thing to calling a good game. From the dugout or third base all the Coach can see is up and down. If your high and low and in and out never wavers they know what to expect.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Re: Nope, haven't moved.

Quote:
If you have been calling this way for 20 years, why has the complaining just started? Have you moved from one part of the county to another?

Still doing games for the same schools. I noticed that the coaches have changed. I think that a lot of the umps up here are calling wide and low strikes. The complaining seems to happen when I am PU for the 2nd of DH. I do call corners for strikes. I don't call a low strike. I received a "complaint" last week from a coach when I called a ball on a pitch outside in the other batters box. He said, "The catcher didn't even move his glove!" I hadn't really noticed where the catcher setup. I don't call according to anything but where the ball is when it crosses or comes near the plate. At any rate, thanks for the replies. I can deal with it. I just wondered if others were dealing with the same issue.
Maybe the coaches have changed, but what I've seen the last few years in our area is that too many umpires are calling low strikes.

The pitch that is three inches below the knee but F2 catches it cleanly and many umpires want that to be a strike.

And of course the coaches want it called. I've had three playoff games in the last week, and in every game during the first inning I had to listen to coaches and fans complain about "that's right at the knees" strikes.

After an inning or so, they realize that it's not being called and not a peep from anyone.

One coach (who has won three state championships) did peep as he moved to his box, "lets' don't squeeze it now, we need those strikes".

I grinned. What he was really saying was 'my pitcher can't throw strikes and I need all the help I can get.'

If you're getting complaints I would look at your stance and other factors. Maybe you have changed something that has affected your zone. It sounds to me that you are calling too many high strikes.

In our world, we like to keep it below the hands which is below the letters. And for sure, don't call the loopy curve ball that is caught below the letters etc.,

Good luck

Thanks
David
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

In and out?

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:

Because consistentcy is the most important thing to calling a good game. From the dugout or third base all the Coach can see is up and down. If your high and low and in and out never wavers they know what to expect.
Coaches can't tell in or out from the dugout or the box. That's false.

That's why F2 sets up outside, don't move his mitt and the coach hollers.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Nonsense. Consistency in calling a good strike zone is important. Consistency in calling crap is not. Consistency in and of itself is meaningless.

One can consistently miss bangers at first.

"Well, I was consistent," is the motto of the mediocre.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 10:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I call a strike zone in which I honestly think the ball crossed the strike zone. I really do not make it much more complicated than that. I know there are times when I might call a pitch or two that might be a little off the plate, but who cares. I will try to be consistent with those pitches all game long. If a batter wants to look at a pitch that is close, that is his problem. Do not give me the chance to call a strike. Swing the damn bat meat!!

Peace
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Re: In and out?

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:
Quote:

Coaches can't tell in or out from the dugout or the box. That's false.

That's why F2 sets up outside, don't move his mitt and the coach hollers.

Thanks
David
David, The reason why they complain is because they can't see that the catcher set-up outside from the dugout. Just the other day on an 0-2 count my catcher set up 6 inches outside I ball it and the Coach complains from the dugout. Catcher says to me don't worry when I get in I'll tell him it was way outside. They can't tell from the box either especially when a righty is batting. They can't even see the plate how could they possibly see in or out?
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not getting into this one again LOL
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

a good catcher helps.

I had a catcher last week, who is probably the best catcher in the league. 13-15 yr olds. He also plays on a travel league team.

1st inning, I call a strike about a ball outside. He catches it and proceeds to throw it back to the pitcher in a continuous motion. As I call the strike, he stops his throw and looks at me and says, "that's a strike?" I say, "not anymore"! To the catchers dismay!

I say, "Your zone just got smaller batter"!

That catcher will not do that again!

The opposing catcher framed those pitches, guess what, STRIKE!

As others have stated, calling the zone consistantly is important. I called it consistantly for team A and also for team B.

heheehehe

Coaches, teach your catchers what they need to know. They are the most important player on the field. IMO
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Re: a good catcher helps.

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
I had a catcher last week, who is probably the best catcher in the league. 13-15 yr olds. He also plays on a travel league team.

1st inning, I call a strike about a ball outside. He catches it and proceeds to throw it back to the pitcher in a continuous motion. As I call the strike, he stops his throw and looks at me and says, "that's a strike?" I say, "not anymore"! To the catchers dismay!

I say, "Your zone just got smaller batter"!

That catcher will not do that again!

The opposing catcher framed those pitches, guess what, STRIKE!

As others have stated, calling the zone consistantly is important. I called it consistantly for team A and also for team B.

heheehehe

Coaches, teach your catchers what they need to know. They are the most important player on the field. IMO

I wouldnt advocate doing that at all. Just answer the catcher "yep" or whatever.. no need to give a sermon to the batter and catcher and make a show of changing the zone or whatever.. if they are good, especially since you say the catcher was the best, they'll figure it out soon enough any.. just call the pitch.