The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfgartland View Post
I am listening to these people, that is the reason that I joined to open my mind to the knowledge elsewhere in this game. I also trying to (as I said previously ) to look at things from another perspective. This is something that I have been doing with other umpires on a face-to-face basis for years. Someone throws out a "I had this happen..." and we discuss. Typically it leads us to some interesting and outrageous "If this happened..." I am sorry if my tactics (for lack of a better word) were misconstrued as being stubborn.
Sounds to me like you are trying to play Devil's Advocate which is fine in many cases. This, however, is one of those cases where you have taken the scenario to the edge of the cliff. There is no way that you can prove your point (and many have tried through the years). So far, the only ones that have agreed with your idea are the Fast Pitch Softball people. I doubt that Baseball will ever change, but if it does, you are covered!

Finis
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

GF, you don't know all the people who have answered your question so far, so perhaps you're having trouble gauging their credibility. All I'll say about that issue is: when it's you against the world, you might be right but that's not the way to bet.

Second, I will offer that professional umpires are instructed to watch and see whether the batter "offers at the pitch." They are taught that merely holding the bat still does not constitute offering at a pitch. So in the case under discussion, with the pitch out of the zone, the proper call would be: "Ball," or better yet, "No, he didn't go!"
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
FED RULE 2
SECTION 8: Bunt

A bunt is a fair ball in which the batter does not swing to hit the ball, but holds the bat in the path of the ball to tap it slowly to the infield. (the rest is irrelevant to this discussion).

I see nothing in this rule stating that the bat need be moving to be considered a bunt, only that it be held.
FED 7.2.1B "In bunting, any movement of the bat toward the ball when the ball is over or near the plate area, is a strike. The mere holding of the bat in the strike zone is not an attempt to bunt."

If B1 is holding the bat (motionless) "in the zone" and the ball passes the plate "out of the zone" then I don't see how the pitch could be anything but a ball.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not every last person involved with BAA is unpaid.
I hate to extend this topic past the OP, however the website says (bolding mine): "Known as the largest all volunteer sports organization in the United States,"

That seems contradictory.