The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
Throughout this thread several poster's keep coming back to it was a ball that should have been caught with ordinary effort....maybe so...,or I would call it at it's apex.
You're using the wrong test. If the ball COULD have been caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, the we rule IFF. It doesn't matter whether the player actually catches the ball.

You're right that weather can enter the judgment of whether ordinary effort could be sufficient to make a play. But the question of whether we expect a fielder to make the catch is irrelevant.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...Something some need to add into their thought process, when calling an IFF is, is there a fielder comfortably under the ball to make that catch?...
Bingo. That's the magic criterion for me (change fielder to infielder, but I'm sure JAB meant that). I will sometimes call the IFR well after the ball has reached its apex, but never before.

How about this:

Lefty Pullsall is at bat, 1st & 2nd, no out. Lefty has never hit a ball to left field in his life. The defense is stacked on the right side, except for F7, who is in very shallow left field, close enough to 3rd base to prevent R2 from taking an easy base.

Lefty hits a soft fly right around 3B. F7 gets under it but lets it drop for an easy triple play. No other fielder had a chance at the ball. Is it an infield fly?
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Only if, in the judgment of an umpire, an INfielder could have caught the ball with ordinary effort.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

You also must judge if F7 was stationed in the infield in this scenario.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Even if he wasn't, if an infielder could have caught the ball with ordinary effort, the I.F. can still be called, of course.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

From my OP: F7 was positioned in shallow LF (he is an outfielder). No other fielder had a chance at the ball. Infield fly?
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

If no other fielder had a chance at the ball, it sure sounds like an infielder could not have caught the ball with ordinary effort; hence no I.F.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post

Lefty hits a soft fly right around 3B. F7 gets under it but lets it drop for an easy triple play. No other fielder had a chance at the ball. Is it an infield fly?
Yes, even before he let it drop. This is an (unusual, but plausible) example of the kind of situation the IFR is intended to protect against. There is no requirement that the player who actually fields the ball should be an infielder.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
Yes, even before he let it drop. This is an (unusual, but plausible) example of the kind of situation the IFR is intended to protect against. There is no requirement that the player who actually fields the ball should be an infielder.
Exactly right.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
OK, now the DC comes out and asks you: "In your judgment, which infielder could have caught that ball with ordinary effort?"
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 01:37pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
OK, now the DC comes out and asks you: "In your judgment, which infielder could have caught that ball with ordinary effort?"
"What difference does it make? I called IFF, the rules doesn't say as umpire, I have to specify a fielder does it?"

or

"I would've called it the same way for your team"

Typically you're not going to get the defensive coach arguing...most coaches "get it"...where you could get in trouble is OC coming out saying "why didn't you call it?"
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You're using the wrong test. If the ball COULD have been caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, the we rule IFF. It doesn't matter whether the player actually catches the ball.
Yes and no. For instance, infield in, expecting a bunt, batter slashes and hits a pop up near the outfield grass line, 4 feet fair. F5 is unable to get near the ball to make a catch. Had he been playing in his normal position, an infielder COULD have caught this ball with ORDINARY effort, however becasue he is playing up, this is far from ordianary effort, and NOT an IFF. The intent of the rule is to protect the offense as has been stated, however by simply calling IFF because a fielder, (not just an infielder) COULD have caught the ball doesn't make it an automatic call.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bingo. That's the magic criterion for me (change fielder to infielder, but I'm sure JAB meant that). I will sometimes call the IFR well after the ball has reached its apex, but never before.

How about this:

Lefty Pullsall is at bat, 1st & 2nd, no out. Lefty has never hit a ball to left field in his life. The defense is stacked on the right side, except for F7, who is in very shallow left field, close enough to 3rd base to prevent R2 from taking an easy base.

If F7 was close enough to keep R2 from taking 3B, then I most likely have an IFF. Otherwise, I most likely have Lefty taking the first pitch and R2 walking into 3B.
And no, I'll keep it fielder, F6, goes out onto the outfield grass, using ordinary effort, he is 20' onto the outfield grass and he is comfortable under the ball. F8 comes in and calls him off making the catch. Still an IFF in my book.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And no, I'll keep it fielder, F6, goes out onto the outfield grass, using ordinary effort, he is 20' onto the outfield grass and he is comfortable under the ball. F8 comes in and calls him off making the catch. Still an IFF in my book.
Yes, that (your sitch) would be an infield fly, but who winds up catching the ball is irrelevant to that determination.

Under the "spirit of the rule," this (my sitch) clearly SHOULD be an infield fly. But under the letter of the rule, the only way it is an infield fly is if F7 is judged to be an infielder. I don't think it is a stretch to do that.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 09:08pm.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Under the "spirit of the rule," this (my sitch) clearly SHOULD be an infield fly. But under the letter of the rule, the only way it is an infield fly is if F7 is judged to be an infielder. I don't think it is a stretch to do that.
I agree: if he's close enough to 3B to keep R2 from stealing, then he's an infielder.