The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 11, 2002, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Question

The fast pitch rule book that I use states that it is an infield fly rule even if it isn't called by an umpire. The infield fly rule involves some judgement by the umpires so how in the world can the teams know for sure? An example-- bases loaded and no outs, fly ball that possibly could or wouldn't have to be an infield fly. Runners not hearing anything called decide to take off. Then in actuality it was an infield fly, they are in jeopardy. I believe they need to change the rule to say it NEEDS to be called in order to be enforced. JMHO Dave
Old Sun Aug 11, 2002, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shipwreck
The fast pitch rule book that I use states that it is an infield fly rule even if it isn't called by an umpire. The infield fly rule involves some judgement by the umpires so how in the world can the teams know for sure? An example-- bases loaded and no outs, fly ball that possibly could or wouldn't have to be an infield fly. Runners not hearing anything called decide to take off. Then in actuality it was an infield fly, they are in jeopardy. I believe they need to change the rule to say it NEEDS to be called in order to be enforced. JMHO Dave
Speaking ASA

If it is an IF, the batter is going to be out. If an umpire's failure to call the IF placed a runner(s) in jeopardy, this is a correctable error. If the runner advances safely, they keep that base. If the runner in jeopardy is put out prior to reaching the next base safely, you would return the runner to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. All other rules still apply.

Old Sun Aug 11, 2002, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
Mike is right - ASA & Fed - that is a fixable error. So Fix it. In college ball, your suggestion - IF not if effect if not called - is the rule. I much prefer the way ASA & Fed handle this.

Steve M