The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

A couple plays that happened at our State Boys B tourny last week, that RD and I thought we'd post to see how you all would handle.

Play 1:

B1 makes a great defensive play by "reaching in" but not making contact with play, and knocks the ball aways from A1. In chasing it down, he steps out of bounds, comes back in bounds and obtains possession. Official called OB Violation.

Play 2: A2 runs out of bounds along baseline to avoid a defensive player, then returns to court, but does not receive a pass. Official blows whistle and issue "Warning" to Team A for running OB during live ball."

Play 3: A2,A3,A4 &A5 all line up in a "stack" for an inbound play from the endline. PLayers from Team B, wanted to be between them. Officials ordered Team A players to allow B players to alternate. (Would you enforce this different had the inbound pass come from the sideline?

I witnessed two of these plays, and was one of the officials in a 3rd.

Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 07:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

I'll make it easy - WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NYBAREF
A couple plays that happened at our State Boys B tourny last week, that RD and I thought we'd post to see how you all would handle.

Play 1:

B1 makes a great defensive play by "reaching in" but not making contact with play, and knocks the ball aways from A1. In chasing it down, he steps out of bounds, comes back in bounds and obtains possession. Official called OB Violation.

Play 2: A2 runs out of bounds along baseline to avoid a defensive player, then returns to court, but does not receive a pass. Official blows whistle and issue "Warning" to Team A for running OB during live ball."

Play 3: A2,A3,A4 &A5 all line up in a "stack" for an inbound play from the endline. PLayers from Team B, wanted to be between them. Officials ordered Team A players to allow B players to alternate. (Would you enforce this different had the inbound pass come from the sideline?

Play 1) Legal if B1 has reestablished his position in-bounds

Play 2) I believe a warning is in order, I would not stop play to do it though. During the first dead ball instruct the player not to leave the floor, and what the rule is. If he goes OOB, around a double pick, back to the floor, recieves a pass and is open for a 3, I blow and call a "T" before the shot is away. Apply the advantage/disadvantage to this rule

Play 3) The officials were correct in allowing the defending team alternating positions. Same on the siedline.

My take on your questions, I have been wrong before, though.

Blackhawk
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 08:04pm
In Memoriam

Agree with Mark. WOW!
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
Quote:
Originally posted by NYBAREF

Play 1:

Play 2) I believe a warning is in order, I would not stop play to do it though. During the first dead ball instruct the player not to leave the floor, and what the rule is. If he goes OOB, around a double pick, back to the floor, recieves a pass and is open for a 3, I blow and call a "T" before the shot is away. Apply the advantage/disadvantage to this rule

Play 3) The officials were correct in allowing the defending team alternating positions. Same on the siedline.

Blackhawk
In Play 3) This is allowed only within 3 feet of the end/side line as per Case Book Play 7.6.4.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 08:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
[/B]

Blackhawk [/B][/QUOTE]1)Agree
2)Not one of the OFFICIAL warnings listed in the rulebook.You can unofficially warn only.The only choices are to call a T,or not call a T.
3)The only time that that you let players in between is when they line up shoulder-to-shoulder parallel to the line,and within 3 feet of it. Casebook play 7.6.4
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Situation #2

#2) This is a tough one. I had a coach ask me during the tournament this year who had the ball at the half. I told him his team did, and he furiously began scribbling a play. When I handed the ball for the throw in, A1 tossed the ball in and then ran along the side line still out of bounds, and cut in for a pass after about 10 feet. It was pretty clear to me what happened, and I couldn't justify warning him about the play. You have to determine intent and advantage.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 02:47am
In Memoriam

Re: Situation #2

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
#2) This is a tough one. I had a coach ask me during the tournament this year who had the ball at the half. I told him his team did, and he furiously began scribbling a play. When I handed the ball for the throw in, A1 tossed the ball in and then ran along the side line still out of bounds, and cut in for a pass after about 10 feet. It was pretty clear to me what happened, and I couldn't justify warning him about the play. You have to determine intent and advantage.
Might not be a bad idea to whisper something in the player or coach's ear in this case,if you get a chance.See casebook play 10.3.4SitB.You might not wanna call it,but you shouldn't let a team use it consistently either.They are getting an advantage then.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: Situation #2

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Might not be a bad idea to whisper something in the player or coach's ear in this case,if you get a chance.See casebook play 10.3.4SitB.You might not wanna call it,but you shouldn't let a team use it consistently either.They are getting an advantage then.
I've seen this play or a similar one twice. Both times I warned at the next dead ball, since it was freshman girls, and I figured it would be unfair to give a T for a rule that nobody knows. It was obvious they'd never heard this before. If they'd have done it after I warned, though, I would not have hesitated to pop them
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 04:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: Re: Re: Situation #2

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
If they'd have done it after I warned, though, I would not have hesitated to pop them
Whoa! Juulie gets medieval on some freshman girls. Am I finally rubbing off on her?
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: Re: Re: Situation #2

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
If they'd have done it after I warned, though, I would not have hesitated to pop them
Whoa! Juulie gets medieval on some freshman girls. Am I finally rubbing off on her?
To get a realistic answer, ask Charmine what she thinks!!
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 07:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Situation #2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
To get a realistic answer, ask Charmine what she thinks!!
OUCH!!! Be sure to tell her Josh is working the camp with you. NYORK, NYORK, NYORK!