The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 10:15pm

Perhaps you were thinking of the late Lou DiMuro, former MLB umpire who is father to Ray DiMuro and current MLB umpire Mike DiMuro.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Perhaps you were thinking of the late Lou DiMuro, former MLB umpire who is father to Ray DiMuro and current MLB umpire Mike DiMuro.

My, my. I do believe I got my names mixed up. But you are helping make the point that nepotism is alive and well in MLB. It is generally this way in the real world though. My grandfather was a plumber, my dad was a plumber, I could have been a plumber.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't know who Lou is.
He was a GM for the Mariners from 1977-80, and most famously for the Red Sox from 1984-93. Just got some baseball names mixed up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Gorman
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 10:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by realistic
My, my. I do believe I got my names mixed up. But you are helping make the point that nepotism is alive and well in MLB. It is generally this way in the real world though. My grandfather was a plumber, my dad was a plumber, I could have been a plumber.
Actually the DiMuro brothers received no assistance whatsoever from their father, as he had died years before they became umpires. I've worked games with both, and they were the real deal right off the bat.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

I went to umpire school with Ray. Nice guy. It is a fraternity. You take care of your own.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 11:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
In all fairness to Rutledge, he said "overweight and have problems getting from point A to point B." Hopefully, he was combining these two elements. If he was just capping on fat people, then he's wrong.

If you have problems getting from point A to point B, you shouldn't umpire baseball, whether you're fat or not. There are plenty of skinny-a$$ umpires who can't get around a ball field as well as some of us big guys can. Just because you are overweight doesn't mean you are slow, or can't hustle from position to position.

I might have lost a step or two from when I started umpiring (very slim and trim) to when I stopped (hungry, hungry hippo), but I was already 3 or 4 steps ahead when I started, so I ended up still way ahead of the curve.
Steve you are missing the point. The problem is there are a lot of MLB Umpires that if they had to go by the physical standards of other sports, they would never get those opportunities in the first place. And it is a lot easier to get from point A to point B in a baseball setting with 4 and 6 umpires on games than it ever is in a 1 or 2 person game (hell 3 umpires too). I know the NFL has suspended officials that are incapable of keeping their weight down and the NFL did not care if they could move well or not. In the NBA you would not even be considered if you did not look the part. I cannot think of any official that is not in great shape or clearly looks the part. You have to sprint from point A to point B all the time in basketball. You cannot afford to be complacent with a couple of steps.

When I see umpires at the MLB level that cannot make an easy call by taking a couple of steps, I know people wonder if they are physically capable to get in position. I know that is definitely the case when I work HS games with people and the physical abilities of my partners. Things have been said to me from coaches (many times well after the game) about how big someone is and how they cannot keep up. I know that goes through my mind when I work with someone that big or I watch someone that is that big. If someone credits me for my hustle and I barely ran down the line, I find that as a problem if you are comparing me to other umpires. There are umpires that get upset if you use proper mechanics because they have to run further so they say things like, "I am not running home to cover the plate when you are already there." But the mechanics clearly state that the BU comes back home to cover the plate in certain situations. I run more in any football game on just one play, not just one situation. I would have to consider giving up my other sports if running about 100 feet is a problem. If that is a problem, then you either need to get in shape or not take the damn game. I am sorry, your physical ability matters to not only me, but the people participating.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 12:19am

So, I was wrong in giving you the benefit of the doubt...you were just fat bashing. Okay.

No, I understand and see your point when comparing to other pro sports.
Closed Thread