The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

With the start of the season here in the midwest, I've decided that I would try to educate the public by discretely posting near the concession stands the eteamz.com article "Top 40 Baseball Rule Myths". This article has to be slightly modified to accomodate the rules differences in high school baseball and softball.

Please look over the following and note any ommisions or corrections. The one rule that I am not sure about is whether a batter-runner can over run first base on a base on balls without being in jeopardy of being put out. High school baseball specifically states that a runner can be tagged out for over running first base on a base on balls, but I could not find a corresponding softball ruling.

Thanks for you time and any input.

Top Baseball/Softball Rule Myths

PLEASE REMEMBER that these are MYTHS and therefore are all FALSE unless otherwise noted by high school or local league rules.

The Batter

· The hands are considered part of the bat. FALSE
· If the batter breaks his/her wrists when swinging, it's a strike. FALSE
· The batter cannot be called out for interference if he/she is in the batter's box. FALSE
· The batter may not switch batter's boxes after two strikes. FALSE
· The batter who batted out of order is the person declared out. FALSE
· The batter is out if he/she starts for the dugout before going to first after a dropped third strike. FALSE
· If the batter does not pull the bat back while in the bunting position, it's an automatic strike. FALSE
· The batter is out if a bunted ball bounces back up and hits the bat while the batter is holding the bat. FALSE
· The batter is out if his foot touches the plate. FALSE in all codes except high school. This is TRUE if a league is using high school rules. See high school rule 7-3-2. In all codes, the batter is never called out if contact is not made with the pitch.
· A pitch that bounces to the plate cannot be hit. FALSE
· The batter does not get first base if hit by a pitch after it bounces. FALSE

Running to First
· The batter-runner must turn to his/her right after over-running first base. FALSE
· The batter may not overrun first base when he/she gets a base-on-balls. FALSE in all codes except high school. This is TRUE if a league is using high school rules. See high school rule 8-4-2h exception.)
· The batter-runner is always out if he/she runs outside the running lane after a bunted ball. FALSE

Base running
· A runner is out if he/she slaps hands or high-fives other players, after a homerun is hit over the fence. FALSE
· Tie goes to the runner. FALSE (It doesn’t go to the fielder, either. Other than a tie score, ties do not exist in baseball.)
· The runner gets the base he's/she’s going to, plus one on a ball thrown out-of-play. FALSE
· Anytime a coach touches a runner, the runner is out. FALSE
· Runners may never run the bases in reverse order. FALSE
· The runner must always slide when the play is close. FALSE, however, some local leagues and age groups have mandatory slide rules. Check with your local league manager.
· The runner is always safe when hit by a batted ball while touching a base. False, but this is TRUE in softball. See high school softball rule 8-8-13.
· A runner is out if he/she runs out of the baseline to avoid a fielder who is fielding a batted ball. FALSE
· Runners may not advance when an infield fly is called. FALSE
· The runner has a right to the baseline even if a defensive player is fielding the ball. FALSE

Fair/Foul, Foul Tips, and Others
· If a batted ball hits the plate first, it's a foul ball. FALSE
· If a player's feet are in fair territory when the ball is touched, it is a fair ball. FALSE
· The ball is dead on a foul-tip. FALSE. A foul tip is defined as a batted ball that goes immediately to the catcher’s hand or glove and is legally caught. If the ball is not caught, then it is a dead ball.
· A runner may not steal on a foul-tip. FALSE
· If a fielder holds a fly ball for 2 seconds, it's a catch. FALSE
· If a fielder catches a fly ball and then falls over the fence, it is a homerun. FALSE
· The ball is dead anytime an umpire is hit by the ball. FALSE
· The home plate umpire can overrule the other umps at anytime. FALSE

Appeals
· It is a force out when a runner is called out for not tagging up on a fly ball. FALSE
· An appeal on a runner who missed a base cannot be a force out. FALSE
· No run can score when a runner is called out for the third out for not tagging up. FALSE
· You must tag the base with your foot on a force out or appeal. FALSE
· The ball must always be returned to the pitcher before an appeal can be made. FALSE

Pitching
· The ball is always immediately dead on a balk. FALSE, but this is TRUE if a league is using high school rules, but only in baseball. See high school baseball rule 5-1-1k. In softball, the term “balk” is replaced with the term “illegal pitch”. However, in softball an illegal pitch is a delayed dead ball and may be hit by the batter if the pitch is released. See high school softball rule 5-1-2a.)
· With no runners on base, it is a ball if the pitcher starts his/her windup and then stops. FALSE, but this is TRUE in both baseball and softball if the league is using high school rules. See high school baseball rule 6-1-2 Penalty & high school softball rule 6-1-2a Penalty.
· A pitcher may not go to his/her mouth at any time. FALSE, but if he/she does, he must show a clean wipe.)
· The pitcher must come to a set position before a pick-off throw. FALSE (Not used in softball.)
· The pitcher must step off the rubber before a pick-off throw. FALSE (Not used in softball.)

Sources: On the Internet…http://www.eteamz.com/baseball/rules/obr/myths/
2004 National Federation of High Schools Baseball Rules Book
2004 National Federation of High Schools Softball Rules Book
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

RE Base on balls, ball is still live, you get off you are liable for put-out.

"Try to educate the public"

Good Luck.....Some will not be educated. Read some e-teamzs fastpitch posts!
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Do you have a rules reference for that, JEL?
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

JEL, I don't believe that's correct.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I've been doing some reading since I posted, and I think I've found my answer about the base on balls (walk) in the look-back rule.

Rule 8-7-3: Responsibilities of batter runner after completing a turn at bat, and while the pitcher has the ball within the 16-foot pitching circle, INCLUDING A BASE ON BALLS or a dropped thrid strike are as follows:
d) A batter-runner who overrunns first base toward right field, turns left and moves back toward the infield in any driection except directly toward second base is committed to first and must return to first base.
e) A batter-runner who overruns first base toward right field, and turns right, is committed to first base and must return to first base.

With the specific statement, "including a base on balls" it seems to me that a batter-runner could over-walk first base and is without liablility to be put out as long as she returns directly back to first base.

Am I right, or am I off-base (no pun intended)?

Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

OK, re-read all, and understand question better. I was assuming the indication was ball became dead. mcrowder is correct, twas me "OFF BASE" (pun intended). Another rule reference is POE 33 (LBR) F which says a base on balls is treated as a batted ball. The difference between BB & SB is the Look Back Rule.