The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 01:00pm
Stop staring at me swan.

J/R Manual

Hi guys,

I've been putting this off for years...but I'm just looking for some of your thoughts on the J/R book...is it worth the $40 (or whatever it is)?...I use the PBUC manual as my main source for rule interpretations for the OBR games...but I also do FED and NCAA games over the course of the season.

To those of you who have the manual...have you found it useful? If so, what is great about it? I've been to their website and have seen the basic pieces of the manual so I know that much.

Anybody on here not like it? why?

Are there manuals out there that are comparable to JR?

What publications would you say should be an "essential part of your library" (ggk)?

As we approach the off season up here in MN, I'm looking for some new study materials for the fall/winter.

Thanks for offering your thoughts.

Last edited by johnnyg08; Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 01:41pm.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

BRD v J/R

J/R is an essential part of your library if you are serious about rules knowledge, but BRD by Carl Childress is more user friendly and has great references for all rule codes. i always go to BRD first. i rarely go to J/R. BRD is cheaper as well and is updated every year.
http://shop.officiating.com/x/product/brd2008
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

J/R is very valuable. Of the publicly available (BRD, PBUC, J/R) books, J/R is the only one which is intended to be comprehensive, covering all of baseball's written rules and interpretations. The PBUC manual is especially spotty in its coverage, and of course the BRD is heavily slanted towards rules which vary among OBR, FED, and NCAA.

J/R offers a coherent view and framework of the rules of the game, and in my opinion that makes it the most useful for learning the fabric of the rules.

Anyone who is serious about the rules of baseball should own all three.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 02:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

It really depends on what levels you work. I only work NF and NCAA Rules games for the most part. If I work an OBR game it is once a year and this year I did not work that particular tournament. I personally see not extra value in buying this book. I only know a very few that use that book and they know the rules a lot better than most. It really comes down to if you think you need this book to better learn the rules. I do not see the need personally, but just like anything this comes down to if you feel this book is helpful to you. I put this in the category as to what shoes you buy. The brand you like is not necessarily the brand I will like.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Coin flip

I agree with every post on the subject above. I love the BRD. I like J/R too. Of course, that may be why I found this website first, got turned onto the BRD, and eventually made my way over to J/R. One doesn't replace the others.

I find JR to be "friendly" reading material. The situations provided help you understand the meaning of the rule being discussed. It is a stand-alone type of material designed to help you interpret the rules correctly before you take the field.

I find the BRD to be a "cross-reference" type of reading material. When you lay the BRD side by side w/ the rule books, you begin to understand nuances among the rule codes. When situations vary among codes, it may supply a reason supporting why the differences exist in the first place. One cannot over emphasize "no provision" or "same as" enough. IOW, although BRD targets the rule differences, it also builds upon common rule adoptions not explicitly stated among the rule codes.

Last edited by SAump; Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:11pm.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 09:07pm
Stop staring at me swan.

This is great guys...keep 'em coming...unless all of the posters have pretty much summed it up!
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

The BRD and the J/R are two essential manuals all umpires should have. Yes the J/R is worth it. Nice resource to get examples of plays, situations. Very much a real world based book. The plays given as examples are ones you might see. Yes, there are a few "third-world" plays in there, but not as many as the BRD.
Go to Rulesofbaseball.com you can view free some of the content of the J/R.
That might help you decide. But its $40 , well invested.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

my ..02

I have them both........I think they are essential for having a complete reference library... I like the way the rules are grouped in the J/R and the way they are referenced in the BRD.

I carry the BRD with me..............
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

For What its Worth.....

I have both the BRD and this year I got J/R. Next year I will probably get PBUC just to have it. I am still looking for the Jim Evans Annotated to buy so if anyone has a hard copy of it for sale---let me know.

I use both of these books. The new 2008 J/R references some FED and NCAA rules/rulings. I have read the 2006 BRD about five times cover to cover. Working on my third read through of the 2008 BRD and have two reads of J/R down and will start my third after I finish the BRD. The J/R is definitely worth it and complements BRD well. Any umpire serious about his career and development needs these two books and needs to read them along with the actual rules for the level they call. For me-that means all three rule sets plus NAIA overlay and American Legion overlay and USSSA overlay to OBR. I do not claim to be a rules expert but I am working on it. You should strive to become one, too.

My two cents, your mileage may vary. (I forgot who I stole that from but thanks- I love it.)

Dave
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 07:58am
Stop staring at me swan.

Would you guys advise buying the 2008 ones now, or waiting for the 2009 ones to come out? The rules probaby won't change that much...
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Buy it now so......

you can read it through a couple of times in the off season. They don't change the OBR that often, the FED rule changes for 2009 are out and they did not change much. NCAA will meet and publish in the winter as will MLB/OBR and printing will not occur until February at the earliest which is too late to study much with college games starting and pre-season train up meetings so buy now and start getting ready for next year. While you are at it, if you can find one and afford it, attend a clinic sometime this fall or winter. We can always get better.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2008, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, this is a great conversation and, as a coach (yes, one of "those"), I appreciate the diligence put into knowing the rules and situations by you all.

Is there any value to a coach have these manuals as well? I have read through, and have copies of, the NF and OBR rules books (don't need NCAA at the moment, this kids are only 11 and 9), but would getting these additional materials help? I guess what I'm asking is, do you know of coaches who get these manuals and do you think it is of use to them?

Thanks again.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2008, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Talk to Rich Ives.

Certainly there's value, especially you encounter an umpire who doesn't know an applicable rule and his subsequent judgment might hurt your team.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2008, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Should a Coach Read the Rules?

Absolutely! I coached and regularly bought the rule books and took the NFHS umpiring test just to see what I knew/did not know. I coached from T-ball to Legion. Do you think that knowing a couple of rules might make you a better coach and make your players better too? Absolutely!

Go for it, when you quit coaching you might decide to put your money where your mouth is and become an umpire.

It is tougher than coaching, keeps you in the game and it is very rewarding both personally and in some ways financially.

My two cents. Your mileage may vary. (grin)
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 11:10am
Stop staring at me swan.

I have the BRD in route...J/R probably later this fall. thanks for the tips fellas