The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

This call was a no-brainer. He did make a faint toward second base and it was a very good call. I don't understand how ANYONE can say it was not the correct call except the announcers that do not know the rules. Some of you are showing your incompetence and lack of judgement as umpires. Please do not argue something as simple as this call, you sound like a manager.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Please watch the 3rd(1:48) and 4th(2:03) replays that are shown on the MLB site given by TNO. The 1st and 2nd replays cut off right at the point where it is harder to tell the outcome. The 3rd and 4th replays continue the whole play through and give a much better picture. This makes Meals correct call much more obvious.

Why is a runner who is clearly going to his right in the grass suddenly end up in the dirt at the end? Why not continue to the right in the grass area to slow down? Because he sees the ball cross in front and he makes the attempt by turning and stepping (big) back to his left, and then decides against going to 2nd because the ball is not far enough away for him to make 2nd before a fielder could pick the ball up and throw him out.

Bet this would look doubly more obvious if the camera had been right on the 1st base line behind home plate like it is on the playoffs. Meals call was easily correct and Darlings statement about calling this type of play for even less, is just as correct.

And yes, Tim Tschida admitted making a mistake on the tag play in the playoffs, so the umps know they are not infallible as do all of us.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

To call that "attempt" is incredibly picky or OOO or whatever you want to call it.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 02:45pm

Everybody has the right to my opinion!
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

For those of you that do not consider this an "attempt," I would like to know what you consider an attempt? And for one poster, how do you judge a player's intent without considering his actions? Maybe with these two questions answered I can be an even better umpire.

Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 07:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Just saw a 5-ball walk in the Phillies/Dodgers game. I went back and verified using my DVR. TV and the scoreboard in the park had it right, Jerry Layne didn't.

Amazing thing is the Dodgers didn't have it either and the batter didn't say anything at all.

EDITED TO ADD: They just mentioned it and replayed the sequence. I should work for ESPN.

Last edited by Rich; Sun Aug 24, 2008 at 07:44pm.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tno
I'm new here. I see people are asking for the video.

Here's a link. Click on the thumbnail below the video on the far right side.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...namlb_tbamlb_1
Check out Meals body language arms crossed implying "don't mess with me I'm unapproachable" Umpiring 101 not a recommended way to defuse the situation.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Well, this is the first time I have viewed the play.
And you've been here the whole time commenting on Meals's call when you hadn't even seen it??? Unbelievable.

I rest my case.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 08:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
And you've been here the whole time commenting on Meals's call when you hadn't even seen it??? Unbelievable.

I rest my case.
I was commenting on the correctness of the ruling in general. I read reports of the play stating that the call was correct. Based on how the play was described, I supported the ruling. After viewing the play, I can still see how Meals ruled the way he did. The video shows Upton make a move toward second base, and he wasn't just turning around to come back. Then he tried to play it off like he meant to return to first all along. It was a judgment call, and those who don't agree are free to do so, but it doesn't make his call wrong.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 07:54am.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, but you can't get yourself out of this embarrassing mess now. You never saw the play. You came here not even having seen replays of it, spewing comments about making an attempt to advance, then flipped to the "immediately" returning side of the rule, then flopped back to the attempt, added the "J" word (judgment), then admitted you never saw it.

Nice try. The case remains closed. In fact, it's dismissed due to lack of standing on the arguee's part.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

i just saw the play for the first time, and i have to admit that is a tough call. i'd have a real hard time judging that a move toward second. there was no direct step toward second, which is what i look for in a case like that. to call that is incredibly picky.

Now whether the call is right or wrong, it doesn't matter, because BJ Upton admitted that it was a mental lapse on his part. He took the blame for not returning to the base immediately, whether or not he made a move to second.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nice try. The case remains closed. In fact, it's dismissed due to lack of standing on the arguee's part.

I did watch the replay, I judged that an attempt was made and feel the right call was made.

You apparently watched the replay, judged that an attempt was not made and disagree with the call.

I am still curious as to what you consider "an attempt," or are you just going to claim victory over one poster and ignore the rest?

Please don't just go home with your ball screaming "I win, I win."
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 10:12am

Quote:
Sorry, but you can't get yourself out of this embarrassing mess now. You never saw the play. You came here not even having seen replays of it, spewing comments about making an attempt to advance, then flipped to the "immediately" returning side of the rule, then flopped back to the attempt, added the "J" word (judgment), then admitted you never saw it.

You need to learn to read better. I never "spewed comments" about Upton specifically making an attempt, I merely commented on "a runner" making an attempt, as in defending the rule, not the play. Look carefully. The only thing I said about the play itself was in my original post, which I had gleaned from an article in an ejection website that said that the call was correct. In my other posts, I said I trusted Meals' and Darlings' judgment. Not one time did I ever say, "hey, I saw the play and......." I never claimed to have seen the actual play itself. When I did, I posted that fact, and now you have used that against me. I didn't think, and still don't think, that my not having seen the play really matters, because I did not argue the specific play, only the ruling.

The case only remains closed in your mind. I think some other folks might think differently.

You can call it an embarrassing mess if you want to. I'm not embarrassed, nor do I have anything to feel embarrassed about.

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 11:08am.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
Check out Meals body language arms crossed implying "don't mess with me I'm unapproachable" Umpiring 101 not a recommended way to defuse the situation.

Perhaps his Verbal Judo skills are lacking.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Just wonder what Al Barlick, Bruce Froemming, Bill Haller, Richie Garcia would say about Verbal Judo when you had Stengel, Durocher, Martin, Weaver screaming in your face. I have a feeling they would tell you to stick that Verbal Judo where the sun doesn't shine.
Closed Thread