The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283
Meals blew it. Upton doesn't have to turn around and sprint back to the base as fast as possible. That is never called, especially in the majors. Quit trying to justify it just because he's an MLB umpire.
I don't recall anyone saying that's what he had to do.

Nor do I recall anyone saying it was justified because it was the majors. It would have been an accurate and refreshing call at any level. Watch the video. Upton clearly made a motion towards second.

Crew chief Darling said, "I've called out guys for less."

Last edited by MrUmpire; Thu Aug 21, 2008 at 12:56pm.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think we'll ever know the reason unless we hear it directly from Meals or the crew chief Gary Darling. By rule, he could have been called out for not returning to the base immediately. I'll defer to someone with more rules interpretation experience than me but I have never called anyone out for not returning immediately and have never seen it done.

Some of you that have attended the JEAPU have heard Jim Evans talk about the special rules that apply to first base (running lane, overrun ability) and I think I remember Jim indicating if he had his way there would be changes in regards to these rules ( can't remember the specifics).

Lawrence
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence.Dorsey
I don't think we'll ever know the reason unless we hear it directly from Meals or the crew chief Gary Darling.
Lawrence

Here ya go.

From the AP:

Crew chief Gary Darling told a pool reporter Upton "made an attempt to run to second," then added: "I've called guys out for less."
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 01:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Personally I do not care if this was a game in the backyard and the umpire was a drunk from the neighborhood. I think it was the right call and it was clear to me. I have made this call several times and Upton stopped going to second when he realized the fielder got the ball cleanly and he would not have a chance. You can disagree, but that is not my concern. And I am sure Meals feels the same way.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 02:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Personally I do not care if this was a game in the backyard and the umpire was a drunk from the neighborhood. I think it was the right call and it was clear to me. I have made this call several times and Upton stopped going to second when he realized the fielder got the ball cleanly and he would not have a chance. You can disagree, but that is not my concern. And I am sure Meals feels the same way.

Peace
I agree completely. Absolutely the right call. You can't overrun the base, then just stand there and decide if you should go to second or not. A hesitation after turning towards second is making an attempt. The runner needs to find out what happened with the baseball and make his decision to go for second before he turns that way, or else risk being tagged out.

If you are going to turn towards second base after overrunning the base, you must do an about-face and return immediately. Anything else is construed as an attempt. I agree with Darling, I've called runners out for less.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

My .02. Out as well for an "attempt" for second. Was pretty clear to me after watching the replay for the first time.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

can anybody post a link to the video replay? i only seen it on sportscenter and from what i saw there, it was a bad call IMO.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
I never said I didn't make mistakes. My point which perhaps I didn't make clear was thiis.

If we saw both those calls made by say a LLWS umpire on TV or an other amateur umpire on TV, for the most part they would have been bashed.

I have been watching baseball a long time and have NEVER seen the call that Meals made especially in the BIG LEAGUES.

I make mistakes all the time but I also do not get paid 6 figures.

Pete Booth
Toucheeeee

I think that is exactly why this guy gets six figures, to have the balls to make that instant of a call without the luxury of instant replay...
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

If you are going to turn towards second base after overrunning the base, you must do an about-face and return immediately. Anything else is construed as an attempt.
Says who? I've heard about being technical, but your comments are beyond technical. They're downright incorrect.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel
Toucheeeee

I think that is exactly why this guy gets six figures, to have the balls to make that instant of a call without the luxury of instant replay...
So it takes balls to make a bad call? It never ceases to amaze me how some here think MLB Umpires can do no wrong, even when one kicks a call like Meals did.

I can tell you this much: your opinion of Meals's call is not shared by all MLB Umpires. There are at least two who have privately said they did not agree with his call.

And no, I'm mentioning who these are. I'm not going to share my friends' information.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 04:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Says who? I've heard about being technical, but your comments are beyond technical. They're downright incorrect.
If the runner turns toward second base (and I don't mean just turns to the left and comes back, which of course is perfectly fine) thinking the ball is overthrown and with every intention of going to 2nd, and then decides to come back to 1st base, only after he sees the ball fielded cleanly, then he did not immediately return to the base, as per 7.08 (c).

I don't care if the runner stops to adjust his helmet, or his wrist bands or something and then returns to the base. That's fine. But stopping to see the disposition of the ball after turning towards second? You're okay with that? You are in the minority here.

Who knows, maybe your "friends" are wrong too.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
So it takes balls to make a bad call? It never ceases to amaze me how some here think MLB Umpires can do no wrong, even when one kicks a call like Meals did.

I can tell you this much: your opinion of Meals's call is not shared by all MLB Umpires. There are at least two who have privately said they did not agree with his call.

And no, I'm mentioning who these are. I'm not going to share my friends' information.
If you're not willing to identify your "friends", why mention them ? Their opinion of this play is meaningless to any of us unless we know who they are.
This smacks of name-dropping, without the names.

Chuck
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 09:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

16 of my friends say that they could beat up your friends in a back alley.

Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

I love it.

First someone says: "I don't think we'll ever know the reason unless we hear it directly from Meals or the crew chief Gary Darling."

So a direct quote from Darling is posted.

Then someone says: "This means nothing, what else is Darling going to say,"

This is the equivalent of putting your hands of your ears and singing LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA.....VERY loudly.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are at least two who have privately said they did not agree with his call.

And there are 60 MLB umpires who are close personal friends who think he made the exact correct call. And, nope, I can't mention their names. They made me promise not to, honest.
Closed Thread