The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 08:25am
Veteran College Umpire

The advantage of the BU taking the play into third - if there's an overthrow, the PU is already in foul ground with a far better angle to watch the ball approach or enter dead ball territory.
Also, the PU has do do all that ball-strike stuff, and the BU is dreaming most of the game, so why NOT make the BU run a little?

JJ
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 08:35am
Stop staring at me swan.

well, and how many times per game does this really happened...once...maybe twice...
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Good God. A BU that can't take a BR around to third should just pack it in.
Right or wrong I've seen it done many different ways over the years. It's always best to discuss it and remove all doubt of nobody being there. Just my two sense. I agree that if an umpire can't beat a baserunning to 3b he probably shouldn't be out there, but it happens.

-Josh
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
The PU taking the BR to third as well as taking the second play on the infield at third seems to be a common softball mechanic. I highly recommend discussing this with your partner in your pre-game, if you happen to work with softball guys a lot. I learned this the hard way!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 09:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bruno_
hi,
we discussed the following today and had different opinions.
sit : no runners on base, base hit to the OF gap, BR makes it at least into 2ndbase, but could go further.

a.) BU takes the BR into 2ndbase and 3rdbase
b.) BU takes the BR to 2ndbase, PU takes the play at 3rdbase

what's the advantage/disadvantage of a or b ?
I was working with a tourney UIC/PU and taking a batter/runner to 3rd and, peripherally, saw PU 2/3-way to third. Easy play a third.

At the 1/2-inning, I asked, "WTF were you doing on third base? The next time I see you there I'm stopping at 2nd and then I'm leaving. Stay outa my yard or ump alone."

Of course with runners on he was still ready to help.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 09:55am
Stop staring at me swan.

The best blues in the world often times don't get the respect they maybe deserve from players/managers/coaches
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
The PU taking the BR to third as well as taking the second play on the infield at third seems to be a common softball mechanic. I highly recommend discussing this with your partner in your pre-game, if you happen to work with softball guys a lot. I learned this the hard way!!
On a related note...

R2, 1 out. Ground ball to shortstop who throws to first for the force out, then the first baseman throws to third to nab R2. Am I not correct in thinking the base umpire should take both calls?
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 12:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
On a related note...

R2, 1 out. Ground ball to shortstop who throws to first for the force out, then the first baseman throws to third to nab R2. Am I not correct in thinking the base umpire should take both calls?
You are correct, but you'd be surprised how many gung-ho PUs will go charging up that line as if you aren't even there, just ready to step on your call.

I tell them in pre-game to stay at the plate unless they are supposed to be at 3rd. These are the same guys that on a 1st to 3rd play are at home looking at the flowers and leave you hanging for the play at 3rd.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On a related note...

This is one (of a handful) of plays where mechanics differ. PBUC has gone back-and-forth on this mechanic for years.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I am in favour of the plate umpire staying home on this one to watch for overthrows. If the base umpire hustles he should be able to take the play at first and third.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On a related note...

Plate guy should stay home here and be communicating with the BU letting him know what is happening behind him.

Even if the BU is using perfect mechanics of seeing the force at first and then retreating to 3rd as he makes the call. This is so helpful and I always appreciate it when guys do this. Just a simple "behind you." or "nothing behind you" is all.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 01:08pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
He only need to travel about 200' ...
200' from A to the third-base cutout? If I'm setting up that deep in A (about 160' behind first base), I think I'd let the plate umpire take the B/R at third.

If you have to run more than 125' from A to get within 13' of third, you're setting up WAAAY too deep.

That, or you really do work BIG diamond games.

Last edited by Publius; Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 01:11pm.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I work softball in the HS season. With bases empty, BR belongs to the BU all the way.

With R1 only, PU takes the play at third and BU takes the batter. This is especially important to remember at varsity/advanced levels of softball since with R1 there will likely be a bunt and if the throw goes to 1B, R1 may decide to keep going to third without hesitating. Usually, PU comes back home as well.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
This is one (of a handful) of plays where mechanics differ. PBUC has gone back-and-forth on this mechanic for years.
I believe that PU should get his butt up there on the 2nd play in the infield, but as you point out, PBUC can't make up their mind.

Can't ask BU to make 2 calls within 3 seconds of each other when they are 144 feet apart.... I'd rather BU move over and get the proper angle at 1st, and let PU have plenty of time to think about his angle at 3rd.

IMO, it is similar to PU being the guy to get INT at 2nd base on a DP ball. And that is when BU has just a 90 degree swivel, and is maybe 30 feet from one play and 60 from another.

Now, he's probably going to have to cut the distance in half from behind the mound, not get a good look at the play at first, have proper timing, now swivel 180 degrees, have a play explode on him from about 70 feet away, probably without a good angle (not as good as a hustling PU can get).

I always go over this in my pregame, ask what pard wants to do. I'd say 90% of the time, they are coming out.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 05:00pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11

Can't ask BU to make 2 calls within 3 seconds of each other when they are 144 feet apart....
200' from A to 3rd base cutout in OR--144' on a line from 1st to 3rd in NC.

I guess baseball really IS different in the midwest. We seem to play on much smaller diamonds than the guys on the coasts.