The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   no runners - base hit, responsibility for the BR (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/47001-no-runners-base-hit-responsibility-br.html)

_Bruno_ Thu Aug 07, 2008 02:58pm

no runners - base hit, responsibility for the BR

hi,
we discussed the following today and had different opinions.
sit : no runners on base, base hit to the OF gap, BR makes it at least into 2ndbase, but could go further.

a.) BU takes the BR into 2ndbase and 3rdbase
b.) BU takes the BR to 2ndbase, PU takes the play at 3rdbase

what's the advantage/disadvantage of a or b ?

Tim C Thu Aug 07, 2008 03:02pm

~Cripes~

Quote:

" . . . no runners on base, base hit to the OF gap, BR makes it at least into 2ndbase, but could go further.

a.) BU takes the BR into 2ndbase and 3rdbase
b.) BU takes the BR to 2ndbase, PU takes the play at 3rdbase"
There is no reason on earth to use the ancient NFHS mechanic (b).

The base umpire is just that . . . a base umpire and other than Nebraska I do not know of any other state that requires the worthless PU to third mechanic.

Regards,

Welpe Thu Aug 07, 2008 03:35pm

Tim, I believe TASO mechanics have the PU to cover 3rd in this situation as well.

jdmara Thu Aug 07, 2008 04:22pm

That's a pregame topic for me. Depending on the mobility of the BU, he will follow it around to 3rd.

-Josh

rei Thu Aug 07, 2008 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara
That's a pregame topic for me. Depending on the mobility of the BU, he will follow it around to 3rd.

-Josh

Mobility?

He only need to travel about 200' in the same amount of time that the b/r go 290'. If he can't do that, he has NO business doing that level of game!

Rich Thu Aug 07, 2008 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara

-Josh

Good God. A BU that can't take a BR around to third should just pack it in.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Aug 07, 2008 05:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Good God. A BU that can't take a BR around to third should just pack it in.

Absolutely. Even in the out-of-shape state I'm in now, I can still beat the BR to 3rd from A anytime (I'd be out of breath these days, but I'd still be there in a set position ready to make the call at the cutout).

No reason at all for the PU to go to 3rd on this play. Stay home where ya belong! I hate it when plate guys creep up the line thinking they're helping out when I've got 3rd. Just go back to tending your little garden and let me do my job!

SethPDX Thu Aug 07, 2008 05:37pm

I will join Tim, rei, and Rich in taking BR all the way to 3B. You can cut through the infield to get there, you know. And I know I can use the exercise. :)

canadaump6 Thu Aug 07, 2008 07:31pm

I hate when the batter hits a gapper, I get a good jump out of P2, do my pivot, watch the touch of first, stay ahead of him, watch him touch second, hustle down to the third base cutout ahead of the runner... and my partner is there at third base trashing all the work I did to get there.

I also hate when I run my *** off all the way to the cutout at 2nd when my base partner goes out, and I still don't get any respect at the higher levels of baseball. But that is a different issue for another time.

Rich Thu Aug 07, 2008 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaump6
I hate when the batter hits a gapper, I get a good jump out of P2, do my pivot, watch the touch of first, stay ahead of him, watch him touch second, hustle down to the third base cutout ahead of the runner... and my partner is there at third base trashing all the work I did to get there.

I also hate when I run my *** off all the way to the cutout at 2nd when my base partner goes out, and I still don't get any respect at the higher levels of baseball. But that is a different issue for another time.

You expect a pat on the back for doing your job? Wrong bidness.

canadaump6 Thu Aug 07, 2008 08:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
You expect a pat on the back for doing your job? Wrong bidness.

I guess it was my mistake to assume that hustling and dressing professionally would help me earn respect on the ball diamond.

bobbybanaduck Thu Aug 07, 2008 08:26pm

if i got myself an NFL uniform, showed up, ran my a$$ off, but fuhcked everything up royally, i wouldn't expect any respect.

tballump Thu Aug 07, 2008 08:49pm

responsibility for baserunner

It would seem if anyone uses the ancient method of making the plate umpire go to third on a triple, then the BU should immediately run home upon releasing the runner at second, in case of an overthrow at 3rd, and a subsequent play at the dish.

socalblue1 Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tballump
It would seem if anyone uses the ancient method of making the plate umpire go to third on a triple, then the BU should immediately run home upon releasing the runner at second, in case of an overthrow at 3rd, and a subsequent play at the dish.

Sure, ths makes perfect sense <not>. Have BU run away from a potential play (BR back into 2B or a run down) and go 120' from the cutout to HP, with his back to the play? Why not cut the angle angle and move 70' to make the call at 3B?

The ONLY times the PU will get involved here is when the BU goes out on a trouble ball or covering his 1/2 of a run down.

soundedlikeastrike Fri Aug 08, 2008 01:42am

I'll hip check right into the dugout, then poach "your play" at HP too..
BU all the way.

But if I pull a hammy or something it's nice to know you'd be there for me.

Good one for ya. Last season, 18U.
3 man, with a couple guys I'd work anywhere with.
Even now.

Ch. game. Game 4 for all of us that day, hot tired, hungry all that...

1st batter, I mean lead off.
LHer.
I'm in the bucket.
Batter rips what's looking like a smooth Dbl maybe even 3bagger if it stay's fair down the RF line.
U1 goes out.
I follow the BR.
BR gets about 3 strides from 1B, I just happen to glance over to check on U2.
Much to my surprise!! He's set up real nice at 3B, waving his fan in his face, he might even a had a drink in his hand; he ain't gonna get anywhere near
2nd base.
I check the touch of 1B and head to the cut out at 2nd. I get about 2 strides past the mound, all the while staring at my partner over by 3rd.
He finally realizes what's going on here: The look on his face was "worth" the extra effort.. Red faced look of horror.
The look on U1's face was pretty good too, as he came trotting on in from RF, we're like, oh yeah, he's in for it now...
BR glides in to 2B ball comes in from F4 to SS,,I quietly say "time", BR and SS were the only ones that heard me, no signal at all.

As I take a round about way towards 3RD, still looking somewhat at
2ND like time ain't out, U2's "dying" over there, he's wanting something to climb under..
I say, "ah the guy closest to the plate usually calls time", as I kinda raise my hands just a little. "time" he sings out..

We had some pretty good laughs at his expense the rest of the game.

Course me and U1 are signaling like it's 2man.

Every runner at 1B, U1 fakes a couple steps towards B etc.
Every base hit I'm juking towards 2nd.
Needless to say he (we as a matter of fact) had a great game the rest of the way, real nice and tight..

So it happens, best to be ready for it.