View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
This is one (of a handful) of plays where mechanics differ. PBUC has gone back-and-forth on this mechanic for years.
I believe that PU should get his butt up there on the 2nd play in the infield, but as you point out, PBUC can't make up their mind.

Can't ask BU to make 2 calls within 3 seconds of each other when they are 144 feet apart.... I'd rather BU move over and get the proper angle at 1st, and let PU have plenty of time to think about his angle at 3rd.

IMO, it is similar to PU being the guy to get INT at 2nd base on a DP ball. And that is when BU has just a 90 degree swivel, and is maybe 30 feet from one play and 60 from another.

Now, he's probably going to have to cut the distance in half from behind the mound, not get a good look at the play at first, have proper timing, now swivel 180 degrees, have a play explode on him from about 70 feet away, probably without a good angle (not as good as a hustling PU can get).

I always go over this in my pregame, ask what pard wants to do. I'd say 90% of the time, they are coming out.