The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
What About This Coach; Dump Him?

This is interesting. Pay attention to the idiot in the stands who sure he knows what the legal size is for a batters box.

Batter Out Of Box?

Tim.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I only watched the first minute or so, but if the box was approximately correct, and the batter stepped out of it (and there didn't seem to be any discussion on this point), then the umpire made the correct call.

The coach "accepted the field" (or whatever the official wording is) when play began.

I stopped watching because the discussion had already become redundant and the umpire should have had the game going. The coach hadn't done anything to get ejected at that point.

I wish you-tube would go away.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

You missed the coach pulling out the rule book then, Bob. It was really classy.

Tim.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

as soon as he brought the rule book out. ejection. although we cannot really see the size of the batters box personally i would have probably wiped the lines out at the beginning of the game if they weren't legal...done some preventative officiating. the whole situation looked bad...physically showing the coach what you'll accept...bad form...
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
This is interesting. Pay attention to the idiot in the stands who sure he knows what the legal size is for a batters box.

Batter Out Of Box?

Tim.
Amusing and the official kept getting hisself in hot water.

As Bob already commented, everyone accepted the playing field in the given condition at the begining of the game. The umpire should have reminded the coach of that right off the bat. Then limited the discussion but, choose to come with statements that kept him in hot water.

I would have not let it go that far myself so chances are real good that I would not have had to throw out the coach. Rule book or not.

Of course I am not quite sure I would have called the kid out either. Controversial box. Get rid of some lines.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:41pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
You missed the coach pulling out the rule book then, Bob. It was really classy.

Tim.
It ain't cool being no jive turkey so close to Thanksgiving.........
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

The main problem I had with the discussion is it went on too long. The umpire made the call and that is it. I would not have even discussed anything with the grounds keeper. If the coach did not agree with the size of the box, then he should have said something before the game.

Another problem I would have had was where the other umpire was during most of this discussion. Then when that other umpire came and I said enough, I would have walked away from him. He follows me and then we have a problem and likely an ejection. Also bringing out the rulebook would have also been a big no-no. The discussion just went on too long about the same thing over and over again.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
It ain't cool being no jive turkey so close to Thanksgiving.........
I didn't know the game was played near Thanksgiving. I do agree that the coach was being "jive" or whatever urban slang you like to use to describe him.

Tim.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with you.

What do you think the base umpire did wrong? Look at the base umpire approach the conversation and stand at the dirt cut out. Would you as a base umpire get involved in this discussion or do you consider the call to be judgment.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

I let my partner fight his own battles.

Tim.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 06:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog
I agree with you.

What do you think the base umpire did wrong? Look at the base umpire approach the conversation and stand at the dirt cut out. Would you as a base umpire get involved in this discussion or do you consider the call to be judgment.
I think it depends on who you are working with. But I would discuss in the pre-game with my partner that if I walk away, then you need to begin to intervene.

I guess a lot of this depended on the conversation these two individual had before the game. I know that I am not as possessive of an argument that I am involved in and if the conversation is getting too long, I would like a person to get the game back into focus. The problem is many umpires feel they need to continue the argument and have no one interfere in any way. This is what I think umpires do so badly when we are more concerned about how much weakness we show instead of moving things along.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Mistake 1: Calling the batter out for being out of the box.
Mistake 2: This isn't a regulation box; no wait, the front line is regulation but not the back line; um, no, the regulations don't matter...yeah, that's the ticket...
Mistake 3: Continuing to discuss with the coach; eat your bad call and move on.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Do I dump this coach? No, I don't see anything that warrants an ejection. The fact that he continued discussing the call as long as he did was the fault of the PU. Did he pull out a rule book? If so, I didn't see it.

As far as the batter's box is concerned, the batters front foot looked to be out of the box. Whether the box was drawn correctly, who knows. Don't most coach's notice a box that is drawn too small? I also have asked boxes to be redrawn if they are wrong.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

i bet if the umpire did not call the batter out in this clip, neither coach would have said a thing.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What About This Coach; Dump Him?
The question is far too hypothetical. I can't imagine any way in hell I would ever be in that situation.