The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

What do you say to the coach?

Pre-season high school scrimmage last week. I'm at the plate and there is a ground ball to the shortstop. There's a play at first, but F3 drops the ball, so the runner is safe. The coach asks my partner - "Would he have been safe or out if he had caught the ball?" I don't think my partner heard him, so he didn't answer. What would you say? The ball was clearly there before the runner, so if you say he is out, the coach says - "My player had possession." If you say he was safe, the coach has a right to complain. It seems that he's trying to bait us into saying something stupid. What do you do?
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Did the coach (head coach) call "Time" to question the call?

If "Time" was granted to the head coach and he asked me that question as BU, most likely I would have said something like "I call what I see based on the play - I have no answer to the "what if" question you asked".

Sam
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

We always seem to think of better things to say after the fact, but the first thing that came to my mind was, "unfortunately we'll never know coach".
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyUmp14
the coach says - "My player had possession."
Sorry coach, that's not how I saw it.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

You don't speculate on might-have-beens....don't answer it.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 11:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

"Sorry coach, I left my crystal ball in the car."
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 11:46pm
rei

I just would have said "But coach, he dropped the ball". Really, that is what I would have said.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

I would answer his question and then deal with him if he wanted to be a jerk about it.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham
I would answer his question and then deal with him if he wanted to be a jerk about it.
I would say he should ask my partner, boyinblue.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Pre-season high school scrimmage last week. I'm at the plate and there is a ground ball to the shortstop. There's a play at first, but F3 drops the ball, so the runner is safe. The coach asks my partner - "Would he have been safe or out if he had caught the ball?" I don't think my partner heard him, so he didn't answer. What would you say? The ball was clearly there before the runner, so if you say he is out, the coach says - "My player had possession." If you say he was safe, the coach has a right to complain. It seems that he's trying to bait us into saying something stupid. What do you do?
"Sorry coach! Would be, could be, might be means nothing. The call is over - let's move on!"
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
"Yes Coach, he would have been either safe or out if he caught the ball."

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 09:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Personally, I don't get into such hypothetical situations if I can help it.

Batters from time to time ask about pitches they swung at. I quite honestly tell them I stop tracking a pitch once I'm relieved of the responsibility of calling the pitch. Sometimes, it's obvious whether the pitch was a ball or a strike, but other times I really don't know. He swung, so who cares?

In this situation, I'd probably tell the coach. Who cares what he says afterwards? It's judgment and the call wouldn't change even if he did think the player had possession.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Somewhat interesting that of the 11 comments so far, most seem to be a little flippant toward the coach's question (safe or out, IF HE CAUGHT THE BALL). The coach just implied that F3 didnt catch it, plus its only a scrimmage, so why not just answer the Q in a civil way (if the Q was asked that way).
I agree with durham, so why make more out of it then it is, ego maybe?
Yes, we all know that coaches try to pull tricks, gain an edge at our expense, but I certainly have no problem with being civil , if treated the same way, and will immedialely deal with coaches who arent...
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

This hypothetical reminds me of the batter who swings at a pitch then asks, "Would that have been a strike if I didn't swing?" I answer "yes" every time, regardless of where the pitch was, just to get them to swing the frickin' bat and stop asking me such questions.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

If the ball was 'clearly there before the runner,' as the OP states, why is the coach asking? Can he not see? Is he implying you can't see?

That's like me asking him why he's batting his .195 guy in the 4-hole. Nunmybizness.

Sorry, but if a coach is asking this kind of question on an obvious call, I'm thinking he has a motive. Why give him ammo? I didn't say be rude about it, I'm saying 'decline to enter' into such a discussion during the game. Civilly.