The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 08:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
The question is far too hypothetical. I can't imagine any way in hell I would ever be in that situation.
Exactly my thinking.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

First argument out of coach's mouth: "It's supposed to be four feet up, three feet back!".

Play a lot of softball, do ya coach?

I'll generally listen to any legitimate question from a coach, but when the first words out of his mouth are to argue a non-existant rule he is on thin ice with a short leash!

Would I eject him? Depends on his actions after I tell him, "Coach, the batter's box extends three feet forward from the side of the plate. The batter contacted the ball with his foot entirely out of the box. He is out and we are finished. Please return to your dugout".

This reply would be about 15 seconds into the conversation, not after arguing about it for two or three minutes!
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
First argument out of coach's mouth: "It's supposed to be four feet up, three feet back!".
That wasn't the coach - it was the guy with the camera (or someone near the camera).
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

OOO, period.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
You missed the coach pulling out the rule book then, Bob. It was really classy.

Tim.
Actually, at 2:37 of the video one of the assistants crosses the 1b foul line with the book, then he and the other assistant stand there looking at it, with the BU looking at both of them the whole time, and at 3:00 the assistant hands the rule book to the head coach.

Now I ask two different questions. How many would dump the assistant for bringing a rule book on the field? And how many would stand there and watch two assistants look at a rule book without doing anything?

Last edited by DG; Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 10:30am.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Actually, at 2:37 of the video one of the assistants crosses the 1b foul line with the book, then he and the other assistant stand there looking at it, with the BU looking at both of them the whole time, and at 3:00 the assistant hands the rule book to the head coach.

Now I ask two different questions. How many would dump the assistant for bringing a rule book on the field? And how many would stand there and watch two assistants look at a rule book without doing anything?
I would have already dumped the manager before it got to the point where the rule book was brought out. As soon as the PU told the guy they weren't going to continue to discuss it and the coach responded "obviously we are because this is ridiculous", I'd have run him.

Tim.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would have already dumped the manager before it got to the point where the rule book was brought out. As soon as the PU told the guy they weren't going to continue to discuss it and the coach responded "obviously we are because this is ridiculous", I'd have run him.

Tim.
Agreed.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Tim.
OK, you sucked me in.

In another situation, the coach's comment would have gotten him run. But again, this umpire brought this all upon himself in this situation.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
OK, you sucked me in.

In another situation, the coach's comment would have gotten him run. But again, this umpire brought this all upon himself in this situation.
I agree.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
No

I don't dump this guy for what I saw here but again, I would'nt have been in this sitch to begin with. The lines would have been rechalked or would have disappeared.

At HP meeting, manager would have been advised to re-chalk or have batter ask for lines if he needed them.

Convo. went on way too long.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I saw this video a long while ago, and was surprised the umpire put up with as much as he did. First thing I would do here is tell the coach that he doesn't need to broadcast his argument to the fans. If he keeps speaking loudly, then we might have a problem. Arguing to the point that everybody can hear what you are saying is just as bad as drawing a line IMO.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
In my view, this whole situation could have been prevented by a little 'preventive' umpiring. I notice the batter's boxes prior to the plate meeting, and if I feel that they are too small, too large, misshapen or otherwise 'wrong' I get it corrected or remove the lines. Bottom line is, the home team is responsible for the field.

The situation we see in this video is out of control because the umpires let it get out of control. If the batter's boxes were acceptable to all concerned prior to the game, then they live with them for the WHOLE game.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:55pm
Stop staring at me swan.

To be honest, I wouldn't go fishing for this type of call. I wouldn't call a guy out on this type of a call...especially if I knew the boxes were wrong...many, many times, these can't be redrawn due to lack of equipment, proper measuring tools etc...this umpire went looking for trouble, now he's in a pickle...no need to make that call...
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:56pm
Stop staring at me swan.

oh...eat the call, move on with the game...hear the coach...move on...if he continues or pulls out the rule book...ejection. after all, he has a pretty good reason to be upset here...
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Johnny, if the boxes are wrong, then you have two choices: 1) both coaches agree to play with them the way they are, no *****ing. or 2) you erase them completely and play without them.

In most HS games, the equipment is available to redraw the lines. If they are not available then revert to option 2, which is my preference.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.