The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 03:32pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I agree with you RPatrino...that's how I roll too, except I won't take the time to erase them. As many of us know, there are far more important things to worry about in lieu of the stupid "in/out of the box" rule.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

In my many years of umpiring I have seen some pretty weird batters boxes, most of which I have erased and gone with nothing or had them re lined. I dont recall having to call a batter out for being out of a box (drawn or not) but have warned a few for it.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I have called maybe one or two batters out for stepping on the plate, but never out of the box. I had a Legion coach several years ago get on my case about not calling a batter out of the box, even though there were no boxes drawn. That discussion lasted about 2 seconds after I told him I was stopping the game for 1 minute so he could draw boxes.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I have called maybe one or two batters out for stepping on the plate, but never out of the box. I had a Legion coach several years ago get on my case about not calling a batter out of the box, even though there were no boxes drawn. That discussion lasted about 2 seconds after I told him I was stopping the game for 1 minute so he could draw boxes.
Bob,

I would hope you called them out for contacting the ball with their foot on the ground outside of the box rather than for just stepping on the plate.

Tim.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Bob,

I would hope you called them out for contacting the ball with their foot on the ground outside of the box rather than for just stepping on the plate.

Tim.
...only if he wasn't doing a game by FED or NCAA rules which prohibit such action.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
...only if he wasn't doing a game by FED or NCAA rules which prohibit such action.
True, thinking with an OBR mind again...............

Tim.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Of course gentlemen, simply stepping on the plate is not a violation.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Another problem I would have had was where the other umpire was during most of this discussion. Then when that other umpire came and I said enough, I would have walked away from him. He follows me and then we have a problem and likely an ejection. Also bringing out the rulebook would have also been a big no-no. The discussion just went on too long about the same thing over and over again.

Peace
The BU shows up at 2:30! Even after the HC pleads with him to come in and talk about it.
Had a game couple years back where the Home HC starts arguing the Vis batter is out of box. Pitch after pitch telling me I gotta take care of it. Well, it would help if there were actual lines on the field. Next time, get the chalk out of the closet during lunch and YOU take care of it.

So Rut, just how many nails in Lloyd's coffin was that Duck thrashing?
This is my 100th post. I know you're all happy for me.