The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
Why would it be an ejectable offense for a coach to bring out the book? If a coach has a rules interpretation question, he has every right to bring out the book if he so desires, and you can't do a d$$$ thing about it. If you toss for this reason, it's more than likely either your pride or your ego got in the way. If the coach brings out the book and he's right, say thank you, change your call, suck it up, shut up and finish the game.

p.s. Be thankful that he doesn't make you look like a horse's a$$.

If a coach comes out waving or showing the rulebook, he's showing you up and inciting the fans and his team. In my game, he's gone.

Like Bob said, if he has questions about something strange like the NCAA DH rule, I might entertain showing him my sheet cheat.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob,

My point was not to suggest something argumentative, but to just suggest that absent any misconduct on the part of the coach, bringing out the book cannot result in an ejection and nothing more.

Bringing the rule book onto the field to show an umpire is in itself misconduct enough to be ejected. If the Head Coach wants to talk about a rule that he thinks I may have mis-applied, he is more than welcome to come out and talk to me about it. If his argument is persuasive enough, I may decide to go check the rule. If you let him bring the book out and stick it in your face, he is basically telling everyone in the place that you don't know the rules. Once he does this, be prepared for the other coach to come out waving the rule book next time you have a whacker at first. DON'T LET THEM DO IT!
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, the act itself of bringing the book out in and of itself cannot be an ejectable offense
See 3-3-1g.1

Quote:
because the coach does have the right to state his case regarding a rule interpretation.
Agreed, but that' different from bringing out the rule book.

Quote:
If you're the umpire what would you rather do, get the call right, or trust your luck on a protest?
There are no protests in IL FED ball.

I stand by my original assertion. I'm sure that if you checked with other, senior, members of the association, they'd say the same thing.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Help me out with this,

I am trying to envision this in my mind and do it myself, and I just cant seem to get it done.

Can someone explain step by step a smooth and continuous move & step & throw to first base, while breaking the back plane with the "free knee".
In trying this, I notice that when the knee goes back toward "2nd" breaking the plane, you have to turn at the hips, and the step to first is a sideways step with the toes pointing more toward second than first.

I have never seen this done, does someone have a link or something to look at and see this move being done the right way??