The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 04:54pm
Huck Finn

He told them, "No!"

I've heard - from two different sources - that Tony Greene told the NBA, "No, thank you." and will stay with the college game.

What do you think? It must be nice to have that option.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 05:02pm
9 times

I have a friend who is in the NBA development program. I was talking to him last week and asked him about his NBA stuff including the possibility of working the D-League and the on further. He said that he would tell them no thanks.

It is a lifestyle choice for him...

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

If I had the money, I'd probably tell them no too.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes
I have a friend who is in the NBA development program. I was talking to him last week and asked him about his NBA stuff including the possibility of working the D-League and the on further. He said that he would tell them no thanks.

It is a lifestyle choice for him...
If doesn't want to get into the NBA why is he in the development program?
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
EXACTLY. I would have posted the same question if Dan hadn't beat me to it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure it helps his resume for college ball.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 10:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Maybe he wants to make the WNBA. It's a lot less grueling schedule and allows you to still do college ball in the winter.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I've heard - from two different sources - that Tony Greene told the NBA, "No, thank you." and will stay with the college game.

Good for him. He's a stud. I'm sure he has good reasons. Maybe he prefers his career and family to the NBA lifestyle. Maybe he just wants to be the best official he can be at the college level and feels that the NBA training program improves his college game. Maybe he finds the college game more enjoyable. Maybe he has a lucrative career which sets him up better than an NBA career would. Who cares why? It's his decision and he's so skilled that he can choose to do whatever he wants to do.

There are many of us who aspire to be state tournament HS officials only. We like our careers and our family and we love to officiate too, but the college game would not allow us to keep our priorities in order. We all have to make choices to balance all the things that are important to us.

Z
Old Sat Apr 29, 2006, 12:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

He probably makes more money at the college game than what he would make working a year of NBA basketball (rookies only make around $80,000) in his first year. He probably feels in the long run his opportunities are bigger in the college game. Does he have a regular job? A lot of college officials make a lot of money at their regular jobs and being an NBA official would be a pay cut on many levels. Unless an official was around for several years they are not going to make 6 figures. I am sure Ed Hightower makes 6 figures as a Superintendent of a school district and more than many NBA officials. Why would a guy in that position want to take a pay cut and work NBA games and start from the bottom?

I do not know the answer to these questions; I just think these are things many who do not know about the difference might not be aware of. I think those that work the NBA are great and talented, but there are things that would keep me out of the NBA if I had a chance to do it.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 29, 2006, 07:03am
Huck Finn

NBA rookies do NOT make $80,000. About four years ago a NBA official told us rookies make $105,000 and they are paid $295 per day (not per game) when they are on the road. Additionally, they could make some money from plane tickets. Since that was four years ago, it could be higher now. Oh, I've also heard that NBA officials who don't make the playoffs still get $15,000 from the officials who work the playoffs. They apparently put in on it.

I'm not totally disagreeing with what Rut said; he probably could still make more money in the college game than he would - initially - in the pro game. But, he wasn't going to go broke from his NBA salary.

Also, I asked about Tony Greene's job situation last year when everyone was talking about him being the next to get hired. I was told, by someone who knows him, that he is at a point in his regular job where he can retire. His job was NOT the reason he turned them down.

Ladies and gentlemen, not having aspirations for the next level - and comparing those aspirations to a high school ref - cannot be the answer for every situation similar to this. I think it should be obvious that after officiating the summer league in Las Vegas and doing some pre-season NBA games, Tony Greene's aspirations were to go to the next level. The "aspirations" tag is used too much; this official was on his way and his decision had nothing to do with his job or his aspirations.

Last edited by tomegun; Sat Apr 29, 2006 at 07:05am.
Old Sat Apr 29, 2006, 08:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
NBA rookies do NOT make $80,000. About four years ago a NBA official told us rookies make $105,000 and they are paid $295 per day (not per game) when they are on the road. Additionally, they could make some money from plane tickets. Since that was four years ago, it could be higher now. Oh, I've also heard that NBA officials who don't make the playoffs still get $15,000 from the officials who work the playoffs. They apparently put in on it
Last year (2005) at a camp in Florida a then rookie NBA ref told the classroom his base salary was around $85,000-90,000, then with travel $$$ & per diem added on his income jumped to around $115,000 and with his take from the play-off pool his final rookie income came out to about $130,000.

We can speculate all we want, unless we hear it from the source we may never know why Tony Greene turned it down. One of my mentors is a successful, veteran D1 official with plenty of friends who are NBA refs and he says he has no real desire to be in the NBA.
Old Sat Apr 29, 2006, 08:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
NBA rookies do NOT make $80,000. About four years ago a NBA official told us rookies make $105,000 and they are paid $295 per day (not per game) when they are on the road. Additionally, they could make some money from plane tickets. Since that was four years ago, it could be higher now. Oh, I've also heard that NBA officials who don't make the playoffs still get $15,000 from the officials who work the playoffs. They apparently put in on it.

I'm not totally disagreeing with what Rut said; he probably could still make more money in the college game than he would - initially - in the pro game. But, he wasn't going to go broke from his NBA salary.
My point is if he has a day job and makes 6 figures already, I do not know he might be taking a pay cut to work in the NBA. If you work in the NBA you are an employee of the NBA. You are not an independent contractor and you cannot work another job. Then if they fire you which can easily happen, you are completely out of a job. It might not have been the best thing for him.

Quote:
Also, I asked about Tony Greene's job situation last year when everyone was talking about him being the next to get hired. I was told, by someone who knows him, that he is at a point in his regular job where he can retire. His job was NOT the reason he turned them down.
I am not saying his job was the factor. I am saying it might have been a factor.

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, not having aspirations for the next level - and comparing those aspirations to a high school ref - cannot be the answer for every situation similar to this. I think it should be obvious that after officiating the summer league in Las Vegas and doing some pre-season NBA games, Tony Greene's aspirations were to go to the next level. The "aspirations" tag is used too much; this official was on his way and his decision had nothing to do with his job or his aspirations.
Tony, I do not know Tony Greene. I probably never will know the man. I am sure there are a lot of factors to why he made this decision and it just might have been he is happy where he is at and the NBA will not excite him. Whether it was money, family, job or just plain happiness, he made a decision that he can only make. I am not the most accomplished official around and maybe one day I will change my mind about what I want to do in my career. I just know that officiating is great but it is not the only thing in my life. Maybe the grind of an NBA season was not for him. Also these guys have to do a lot during the off-season and he just might have made a decision with his family that this would not be the best move. I am also sure he knows what officials in the NBA do and he made an educated decision. We cannot begrudge a guy that decides to make a decision that works for him. This is not even about HS verse college or higher level ball. We all have to look in the mirror and decide what is best for us. Right now I got an opportunity in my officiating career that I never thought I would ever have or even want. When faced with a decision or an opportunity I had to decide if this was best for me. Tony Greene is on another level than me and most of us here, but I am sure he drew some conclusion based on what he knows. We can never fault him for that.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 29, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You don't know that. None of us do. I was merely speculating just like you are.

I got picked up for CC ball about 6 summers ago. I was very excited. By the time the season rolled around and it sunk in of how much I would be gone and how it might affect my real career, I decided to decline.

More power to those of you who want to climb the top. I'm proud of all of you and I admire the officials I see do that. But it isn't for me. For professionals who make over 6 figures and want to be involved in their kid's lives on a daily basis, the sacrifice may not be worth it. The NBA lifestyle would be even more "life interrupting." Regardless of the reason, Tony decided against it. Obviously, something else is more important to him.

I'll always be a little ol' HS ref and I've come to terms with that. Somehow I think I'll be pretty proud of my decision when I hang up the old sneakers and look back on my journeyman officiating career.

Z

Last edited by zebraman; Sat Apr 29, 2006 at 10:12am.
Old Sat Apr 29, 2006, 10:50am
Huck Finn

Someone has mentioned Tony Greene before and I decided to make a post about the fact that he turned the NBA down. This was not and is not intended to force anyone else to defend what they want out of basketball. Everyone is different and make decisions accordingly. It has almost become a defense mechanism to say "Everyone doesn't aspire..." Chill out.

I do know why he declined and it isn't any reason that's been mentioned thus far. I will NOT say why I was told he declined on this forum. If someone wants to know why, I will tell them over the phone. That way, I can deny it later.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 11:02am
9 times

Quote:
When he started in the program, he was interested, but as time has gone on he has changed priorities. He enjoys the training and perspective that the NBA brings.

BTW, his resume is fine. He's about 30, works anout 50 D1 games a year in 5 different conferences. He doesn't really need it to help his assignments.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Closed Thread