Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Spoilage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLeaguer
At some point, Coach, when your team has advanced to higher levels of umpiring, you'll find that reading the rulebook to the umpires is a bad idea.
Dont spoil the fun by telling them this the rule book from the back pocket is the easiest and most fun ejection. Had a varsity coach send a assistant to due his dirty work with a rule book last year. Even with the book they were wrong.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

It's still a secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by radwaste50
Dont spoil the fun by telling them this the rule book from the back pocket is the easiest and most fun ejection. Had a varsity coach send a assistant to due his dirty work with a rule book last year. Even with the book they were wrong.
I'm pretty sure that llcoach, once he got confirmation that the umpires almost "cost him the game," is gone until the next broo-hah-hah.
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIump50
Did you ask the umpire permission to pull out the rule book?
I'll bet not.

Though they may have booted these two calls out of ignorance, they also failed to boot you out of ignorance.

See, it all evens out!!
Actually, I asked permission to speak to the umpire before I entered the field and had my rule book in hand when I asked. Out of courtesy, and in compliance with the rules, I ask permission before I leave the dugout unless I am coaching a base.

And the ball had rolled about 6" outside the first baseman's glove hand on the oustide of his foot. He was about 6 feet from the first base line.

Last edited by llcoach; Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 07:09am.
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

All I am going to say is, one, I am still here, I enjoy this forum now that I found it and am glad for all the great info for a new LL coach that is also learning the rules.

Two, I could ramble for 20 lines about why I pulled out the book and how these are beginner umpires and it is a league rule that only applies to D-2 yadda yadda...but I will suffice to say, I did ask permission to enter the field and that I was very polite and respectful about all of it. I will not stand for one second to have my young men question or argue with an umpire and they know it, so I feel it is my obligation to speak for them in a polite and repsectful manner when necessary, which there have been plenty of times I just ignored issues because the game was well decided no matter what the call, in this case it was a very close game. As to the rule book, I would never had touched it if the young men umpiring had given me ANY indication that they were in the slightest bit familiar with the rule in question. Coincidentally, the more senior umpire, the base umpire, had his book out and was reading on both of my questions, so I got the league rule book out because it is the only place to find the rule.

Again, after the game, I commended the young man on a job well done.

Last edited by llcoach; Sun Jun 25, 2006 at 07:12am.
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

llcoach,
I commend you for your edicate on the field. Despite the rule book thing, I felt you were extremely professional and showed a great amount of restraint considering both calls could have been protested.

The young umpires on the field are learning the game just like your 9 yr old ball players. I would hope there are more coaches like you out there but unfortuneatly, I think you are in the minority.

Thank you for setting a good example for your players and coaches alike.
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcoach
All I am going to say is, one, I am still here, I enjoy this forum now that I found it and am glad for all the great info for a new LL coach that is also learning the rules.

Two, I could ramble for 20 lines about why I pulled out the book and how these are beginner umpires and it is a league rule that only applies to D-2 yadda yadda...but I will suffice to say, I did ask permission to enter the field and that I was very polite and respectful about all of it. I will not stand for one second to have my young men question or argue with an umpire and they know it, so I feel it is my obligation to speak for them in a polite and repsectful manner when necessary, which there have been plenty of times I just ignored issues because the game was well decided no matter what the call, in this case it was a very close game. As to the rule book, I would never had touched it if the young men umpiring had given me ANY indication that they were in the slightest bit familiar with the rule in question. Coincidentally, the more senior umpire, the base umpire, had his book out and was reading on both of my questions, so I got the league rule book out because it is the only place to find the rule.

Again, after the game, I commended the young man on a job well done.
I'm glad that you're still around. While this site has some rough spots, it's a good place to learn.