The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stowne
During the course of play runners can advance at own risk. At what time is the play over, forcing the runners to return to their claimed base?
A) When the pitcher touches the rubber, or
b) When the pitcher enters the pitching circle (10')

This is not a quiz, there are many answers to the general question, I just need to know which of the two given answers is true.

Thank You, Steve
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Major Little League Baseball only
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Before someone tells you in no uncertain impolite terms where to take LL questions and in what bodily cavity they should be placed:

Please take all LL questions to http://www.eteamz.com otherwise known as sleazeteamz.

Believe me, I was much nicer that they would be.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Neither.

The pitcher has to return to the rubber in order to end a play, but the fact that he's returned doesn't end continuous action.

A common play in LL is R3, batter walks and runs through first heading to second trying to draw a throw so R3 can score. If the pitcher gets the ball and toes the rubber before the BR reaches first, the BR does NOT have to stop at first, but can still continue to second, provided they do so without stoping after reaching first.

If BR rounds first, goes partway to second, stops, and starts dancing around trying to draw a throw, when the pitcher toes the rubber, BR must make a decision where he's going. If he doesn't immediately do so, he must return to first.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Please take all LL questions to http://www.eteamz.com otherwise known as sleazeteamz.
Well, that too, but I figured he at least deserved an answer to the question.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I understand, that some of you are above helping out at the grass roots level. E-teamz is a joke, so with that said, if it is beneath any members to answer my simple question then please just ignore it.

Steve
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by akalsey
[B]Neither.

The pitcher has to return to the rubber in order to end a play, but the fact that he's returned doesn't end continuous action.

A common play in LL is R3, batter walks and runs through first heading to second trying to draw a throw so R3 can score. If the pitcher gets the ball and toes the rubber before the BR reaches first, the BR does NOT have to stop at first, but can still continue to second, provided they do so without stoping after reaching first.

If BR rounds first, goes partway to second, stops, and starts dancing around trying to draw a throw, when the pitcher toes the rubber, BR must make a decision where he's going. If he doesn't immediately do so, he must return to first.

Thank you, I understand your point but, at what point do I consider calling the play over, circle or rubber. I believe it's rubber, and once again thatnk you for your professionalism

Steve
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

The pitcher's plate is what counts here, but some local leagues kill play when the ball enters the circle in younger minor leagues.

The only thing the circle is relevant for is the pitcher bringing hands to mouth inside it.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by akalsey
[B]The pitcher's plate is what counts here, but some local leagues kill play when the ball enters the circle in younger minor leagues.

The only thing the circle is relevant for is the pitcher bringing hands to mouth inside it.

Thank You,

Steve
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

"Before someone tells you in no uncertain impolite terms where to take LL questions and in what bodily cavity they should be placed:

Believe me, I was much nicer that they would be."

That was just rude, and uncalled for. If you don't know the answer to this question just let it go.

The answer is none of the above.

The pitcher being on the rubber, or pitchers plate, does not preclude the runners from advancing in LL majors and below. If the pitcher is on the plate, AND the catcher is ready to recieve the pitch (facing the pitcher with all gear in place) AND the runners are not advancing, THEN the runners must return to the last base held. If not, then they are in violation of rule 7.13 IF a pitch is delivered.

Don't let a few LL haters preclude you from using this forum. LL rules are different, and difficult for some to comprehend.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kylejt
[B]"Before someone tells you in no uncertain impolite terms where to take LL questions and in what bodily cavity they should be placed:

Believe me, I was much nicer that they would be."

That was just rude, and uncalled for. If you don't know the answer to this question just let it go.

The answer is none of the above.

The pitcher being on the rubber, or pitchers plate, does not preclude the runners from advancing in LL majors and below. If the pitcher is on the plate, AND the catcher is ready to recieve the pitch (facing the pitcher with all gear in place) AND the runners are not advancing, THEN the runners must return to the last base held. If not, then they are in violation of rule 7.13 IF a pitch is delivered.

Don't let a few LL haters preclude you from using this forum. LL rules are different, and difficult for some to comprehend.
[QUOTE Thanks, I belong to a number of technical groups and there are Faux-Pros there also. I understand that this question is amature, but if somenone does not have an intellegent answer then say nothing at all, or suggest where to find such an answer without the editorial. Your answer supports my argument, and I thank you very much for the clarification.

And,thank you all for your help.]
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Angry This forum is for EVERYONE

stowne:

Don't let ANYONE tell you not to use this forum and ask questions regarding ALL levels and organizations of baseball. Is this forum named "Baseball, except Little League?" No...it isn't. People who act this way and chase anyone off they feel to be inferior forget that umpires need to start somewhere. In addition, many of us do Little League as a Community Service and enjoy doing it. Please continue to ask questions and participate freely here. It is your forum, too.

Striker
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

stowne,

I would agree.
I will try to help you on anything I can.
I am not familiar enough with LL rules to qualify to help you, but if I can give you some insight based on my experience or with NFHS guidelines, I will try.
Keep Posting!
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the pitcher is on the plate, AND the catcher is ready to recieve the pitch (facing the pitcher with all gear in place) AND the runners are not advancing, THEN the runners must return to the last base held. If not, then they are in violation of rule 7.13 IF a pitch is delivered.
Not exactly. 7.13 says that runners can't leave, not that they must return. As said before, pitcher and catcher being in position (okay, I left out catcher before, I figured it was implied) doesn't stop continuous action. A runner headed to second doesn't have to stop there simply because the pitcher has the ball and the catcher is behind the plate with his gear on. The runner can continue all the way to home if he wants as long as he doesn't stop along the way. The defense must make the offense stop FIRST, and then 7.13 keeps them stopped.

Otherwise the delayed steal of home (or anywhere else for that matter) wouldn't be possible.

My suggestion for new little league umps is to simply lurk on this forum. You can learn a lot here just by keeping your mouth shut and listening. Any questions you have can be asked on the Eteamz rules board and you'll probably get a better answer. There's a lot of dumb questions there to wade through, but there are also some experienced LL umps that should be able to give you some solid help.

You'll also avoid running afoul of those on this board who don't see the value in helping young kids play baseball. I mean, even the little guys deserve a good umpire, don't they?
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 09:44pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: This forum is for EVERYONE

Quote:
Originally posted by Striker991
stowne:

Don't let ANYONE tell you not to use this forum and ask questions regarding ALL levels and organizations of baseball. Is this forum named "Baseball, except Little League?" No...it isn't. People who act this way and chase anyone off they feel to be inferior forget that umpires need to start somewhere. In addition, many of us do Little League as a Community Service and enjoy doing it. Please continue to ask questions and participate freely here. It is your forum, too.

Striker
Good call, Striker991.
mick