The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

plate mechanic

As all of us who have officiated for more than a few years know that accepted mechanics change from time to time. Everything from plate umpire positioning behind the dish to responsibilities on the bases has seen modification.

The editor of this site has maintained (I believe) that there is no good reason to "explain" a pitch. You know, like "Ball - outside!" I've noticed over the past few years that there are D1 and Pro Umpires that are doing just that, especially on a close pitch. I've changed after a zillion years on a baseball field and feel it has helped keep some coaches in check. I don't get the "where was that pitch?" comment anymore.

Carl has argued that you don't expalin a strike so why a ball? The simple answer is that explaining a strike is not a preventive device. You saw a strike - no one cares where. On the other hand if you saw a close pitch that was down, the pitcher, his catcher and his coach care, and in fact so does the batter. "Explaining" that pitch just might keep a coach, pitcher or catcher in the game. From my experience it certainly helps limit the barking from the dugoutand frankly it's that's number one on my list for the mechanic.

What say you?
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I say I don't like the idea. Personally I don't think we need to editorialize each close pitch that we call a ball. First we'll be saying "ball - outside", then the rat is going to want a measurement on how far outside the pitch was. Was it outside by an inch? Two?

Then there's the argument that this will lead to more confrontations than it's worth. For example, you call a pitch a ball that's low out of the zone and tell the coach that's where it missed. Now, for the rest of the game he'll be snipping that every low strike you call against his team hit the same spot that you previously called a ball for his pitcher.

Tim.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

I have never 'announced' the location of a ball, although sometimes if it was verrrry close and the call obviously surprised the catcher, I will quietly tell him where it was, just to pre-empt the inevitable question....
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

I never editorialize my calls behind the dish. If a coach asks (without screaming at me) I'll tell him a couple of times but won't let him ask on every pitch outside the zone. I'll usually quietly tell the catcher "A little up/down in/out and I'll get that one," if its really close.
IMO, ball-low or something similar just invites more comments.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

I have followed the emerging mechanic of MLB guys . . .

When a pitch is very close AND important I give the description of where I called the miss.

Remember, for decades, we were trained to give "subtle" signals for ALL calls of "BALL."

To me, giving the description immediately stops: "where was that BLUE?"

To each their own . . .

Regards,
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Always Wright
I agree whole heartedly with T. I have heard many of the big league umps announcing the location of a ball. I have been doing it for several years now without a problem. I joined a new association a couple of years ago (I have been umpiring 26 years) and went to one of their training sessions. When going to the pitching machine station, the instructor stated emphatically that you should never give the location of a pitch when calling it a ball. When one of the other newbies asked if he should answer a coach if the coach asked him where the pitch was, the instructor told him sure, as long as it's done politely and not on every pitch. When I then asked why not say it on the pitch and avoid the question, I was not given any logical explanation. In my experience, it has greatly reduced the amount of conversation that takes place between me, the pitcher, the catcher, and the coach. Those that choose to argue after I make the call were going to argue anyway.

Chris Wright
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

What's good for the goose

What happens at the MLB level is not always good for the amatuer umpire. How many of us have been to a school/camp/clinic with a big league guy who tells us, "Do X." You say, "But Mr. Crawford/Hallion/Welke, I have seen you do Y." To which he inevitably says, "I'm teaching you the RIGHT way, which is not necessarily what I do."

I think explaining a pitch is not smart at any level below MLB, and since I don't work there, I'm just going to keep saying "ball" until somebody tells me differently.

Strikes and outs!
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 06:09pm

Last night in my previously mentioned horrific Pony game, on a pitch that was about 6 inches outside, the little rat catcher, who was pulling every bad pitch and holding it as a cockshot, did it again, and his coach asked him where the pitch was. The little rat told him "it was right there!" I said, in a voice loud enough for all to hear, "don't you lie to him, boy! You tell him where it really was! You know it was outside, that's why you pulled it a foot!"

Later in the game, this same catcher pulled a pitch that was close to a foot outside back to the middle of the plate and held it there for about 5 or 6 seconds. I told him, also loudly so his coach would hear, "if you do that one more time, you're gone, and then your team, which is ahead by 7 runs, will forfeit the game, because you will be down to 8 players. Do you understand?"

He quit pulling pitches after that. Fortunately the 2:10 time limit saved me after 5 of the longest innings I can remember.

BTW, I just needed to vent. Thanks for your patience.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

I editorialize, within limits. Instead of saying "ball," I will use the following verbals:

That's low (or down).
That's up.
That missed.
Nope.

as well as the traditional "ball" for probably half the balls I call.

I think my editorializing habit helps me a bit with my timing, and I know it keeps me more relaxed and comfortable behind the plate. I think catchers speak my language pretty consistently and I very rarely have a catcher or a rat peppering me with "where was that."

Works for me.

One final caveat - I'm talking ONLY verbals. I would never, ever, editorialize a ball with a hand motion. That looks ridiculous.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
One final caveat - I'm talking ONLY verbals. I would never, ever, editorialize a ball with a hand motion. That looks ridiculous.
Few years back- tourney meeting. Getting some of the last-minute questions out of some of the new guys. One of the newest, youngest guys asks "is it okay to tell them where the ball is? like, ball, high, or outside?" Guys tell him "that's up to you, but don't use your hands to indicate it", crazy old grizzled ump adds "I'll tell you what, you can always do what I do- I call ball, and then let him know where it was by motioning my head in that direction"!
So we grabbed the kid and got him out of that conversation!
Incidently, to keep him from spreading that gem around, we threw the old guy a surprise retirement party the next season!

Bainer

Last edited by Bainer; Fri Jun 16, 2006 at 08:51pm.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

If a coach asks where it was after I call BALL I ignore him, or I might give him a look over. If a catcher asks I tell him. If he say's "was that outside?" I tell him yes since he already knows. If it barely missed I probably say so, for catcher reference. I will work with a catcher.

Any border pitch that the catcher snatches back to the zone is a BALL.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

i only call 'ball' or 'strike'. if a pitcher misses inside a few times, or is hitting just below the knee, ill tell the catcher "thats a bit down" or "bring it in a bit" but i dont say it for the whole world to hear.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
SDS, I've thanked catchers for pulling pitches back into the zone. When they ask me why I reply, "When you pull the pitch back like that it tells me that YOU think it's a ball. That makes my job easier."

It usually stops after that.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

"thanks for showing me that one was a ball, i wasnt even paying attention"
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 11:02pm

I've used those as well, but this guy was just pissing me off big time, and the game really sucked, and I was not a happy camper when he started lying to his coach. I am surprised the pitcher got any strikes, because the catcher pulled everything, even corners that I gave him. He thought I was some rube who was buying his little act, and I just got a bit frustrated with his antics. I think the problem was that his coach thought the pitches were where he was holding the ball, like he couldn't see him pulling them.

This is notoriously our worst league, and is pure ghetto ball all the way. Dirt infield, holes for each batter, the catcher, and the umpire, and only given two baseballs to last the whole game, by order of the league president. They are ruined after about 3 innings.

More venting, I digress.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25