The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

CW correct,

Your examples are well taken and I have never, ever said that an owner of a site does not have the right to do any damn thing they want.

We are in a time in modern journalistic history where rights will be tested.

While I wouldn't ever defend the cry of fire in a crowded theater I do hate the concept of book burners, record labeler's (i.e. Tipper) and such.

I still have a huge issue of the protection of free speech of all types not just that controled by a government of any type.

Nice answer Carl.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Censorship and Content

Quote:
Originally posted by Ump20
I know Carl no longer officiates on the field and the quality of ball in Australia has been questioned by some. I don't care whether Carl is retired in Edinburg or if Warren umpired something akin to Division I college. I can't judge them by watching them so all I have is their posts. They can be pretty brutal at times in some of their "rebuttal" posts but their advice and rules knowledge are outstanding. So how come more people are just members in name only? Maybe Carl and Warren (and others) should look how they "react" to challenges and work on being kinder and gentler i.e. not treat us as coaches.
Jim, I understand what you're saying here and perhaps I do come back a bit tougher than necessary at times. I think that comes from being perceived by others as some sort of "tall poppy" that needs to be cut down to make the whole "field" look "even". The field simply isn't "even", despite some poster's refusal to accept that. I know that, perhaps because of the idiom in which I write, some people perceive certain of my posts as "condescending" too. I can't help that. The fact is the higher in the "pecking order" you are perceived to be, the more often you get "pecked" and, conversely, the less likely you are to accept a good "pecking" as nothing more than friendly banter. I'm sure there are times that Carl, like me, is just plain "pecked" out! (grin)

I am certainly prepared to treat individuals as honest enquirers, unless and until they prove themselves to be otherwise. No-one laments that fellow officials can treat each other so badly more than I. I have already given up access to my favourite site because of such treatment. I have certainly NEVER treated the posters here as "coaches", and the fact is that I actually treat most coaches a whole lot better than that suggestion would imply.

Quote:

Might I suggest an e-mail survey to all "members" to find out how often they visit with an effort to encourage them to participate. I am afraid that if we eliminate negative attacks we might be down to 2-3 posts per day. I would also ask if it is possible that a poster who has his post deleted have that returned to them via e-mail. Afterall they are the authors of posts which sometimes do have baseball content mixed into the "attacks".
I think negative "attacks" can be "eliminated" without harming the posting ratio. I don't think negative opinions should be eliminated, however. That certainly WOULD damage the posting ratio. Oppositive viewpoints are what makes a discussion board just that, instead of a mutual admiration society bulletin board.

I don't believe the board owners should be responsible for returning deleted posts. That's an unreasonable imposition. If we all KNOW our posts are subject to deletion in any thread, we should be capable of keeping for ourselves copies of those we'd rather not lose for whatever reason.

Quote:

I would also ask RightSports to communicate with us about the overall content and stagnancy of some of the content. I took the chance of becoming a member figuring I spend a couple hundred dollars every year on equipment, videos, and books. I realize some attention has been turned toward legal challenges but I would like to see more substantive interviews and more submissions from the various staff. Jim Simms/NY
I hope either Brad (for the owners) or Carl (as Editor) will respond to this. For my part, I have written approximately 19-20 articles for eUmpire since I became a contributor in mid-September last year. That's an average of 3-4 articles per month, EVERY month. I'm currently unemployed, having been retrenched in November, and I still have difficulty coming up with the requisite minimum of 3 articles per month. There is only so much you can say about obstruction, interference and batting out of order! I for one would be grateful if the eUmpire.com membership were to advise US of subjects they'd like to see covered. That would be an enormous help. All of us have our email addresses posted on the site somewhere. Mine is [email protected].

Don't talk to me about interviews, though. I've had several lined up since before the 2000 Sydney Olympics, only to have them fail to materialise for whatever reason. Nobody is more frustrated by that than me! (grin) Bottom line though, Jim, is that I think the membership of eUmpire.com is already getting everything they were promised and more. If you disagree, please help us to do it better for you.

Cheers,

[Edited by Warren Willson on Feb 21st, 2001 at 08:34 PM]
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Re: Censorship and Content

Quote:
I would also ask RightSports to communicate with us about the overall content and stagnancy of some of the content. I took the chance of becoming a member figuring I spend a couple hundred dollars every year on equipment, videos, and books. I realize some attention has been turned toward legal challenges but I would like to see more substantive interviews and more submissions from the various staff. Jim Simms/NY

Jim,

There are some BIG interviews planned in the near future. You won't be disappointed.

If there is anything you would like to see covered, please feel free to e-mail me or anyone on the staff. We are always pleased to get feedback from our readers. E-mail suggestions, comments, complaints, or just to say, "Hi!" to:

[email protected]

Every effort will be made to make your eUmpire.com experience the best it can be. But we certainly can't give you what you want if we don't know what that is. Right? Right! So e-mail me and let me know.

Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Moving to America?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Warren Willson
Quote:
[i]

I have certainly NEVER treated the posters here as "coaches", and the fact is that I actually treat most coaches a whole lot better than that suggestion would imply...

I'm currently unemployed, having been retrenched in November, and I still have difficulty coming up with the requisite minimum of 3 articles per month. There is only so much you can say about obstruction, interference and batting out of order! I for one would be grateful if the eUmpire.com membership were to advise US of subjects they'd like to see covered. That would be an enormous help. All of us have our email addresses posted on the site somewhere. Mine is [email protected].

Don't talk to me about interviews, though. I've had several lined up since before the 2000 Sydney Olympics, only to have them fail to materialise for whatever reason. Nobody is more frustrated by that than me! (grin)...

Cheers,

[Edited by Warren Willson on Feb 21st, 2001 at 08:34 PM]
Warren,

Apologies for suggesting you would treat your fellow umpires "like coaches". It is probably true that many of us are much more pleasant in person than our posts might indicate. I think this is what gave rise to the suggestion that these discussions move to a great Cyber Ale House! I am sorry to hear that you are unemployed outside of your officating duties.

With all your friends that you have made does this mean you may be Coming To America? I guess it's hard networking when so many of your Big Blue Network is over here starting ball in warmer climes and getting gear ready in those places still infected by winter. I also assume those "interviews" were not job related.

Retrenching is happening a great deal over here especially with the dotcoms. But whether you call it "retrenching" "downsizing" or addressing "redundancy" it results in real people out of work and that can be a difficult hurdle to overcome. I was downsized from commercial banking seven years ago and it took a lot longer to "heal" than it did to move into a new field.

Unfortunately one of the victims of the "cleaning up" of the Forum I lost the tips on SNIPing, highlighting, use of color, and Quotes. I know you can resurrect these for me and I would appreciate it. Jim Simms/NY
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Moving to America?

Quote:
Unfortunately one of the victims of the "cleaning up" of the Forum I lost the tips on SNIPing, highlighting, use of color, and Quotes. I know you can resurrect these for me and I would appreciate it. Jim Simms/NY

Jim,

Try this link:

VB Codes

It should take you to a section about vbcodes from this forum's FAQ. Basically, vbcodes act like HTML codes and allow you to add:
  • a list of bulleted items (like this one)
  • boldface type
  • italics
  • underline
  • or, any combination of those

You type tags, which are created in brackets, and surround the text you wish to apply the text decoration to.

It's much easier to understand once you see an example. In addition, when you reply to a post, the raw vb code (or HTML code if a poster uses that instead) can be seen. So when you reply, you can see the quote tags, and the bold tags, etc.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Oops, two more things...

Only when you click, "Quote," when replying to a particular post will you see that poster's raw vbcode or HTML code.

If you want to snip a portion of what's quoted, simply select what you want to snip by left clicking, holding, and dragging to highlight the text to eliminate, and let go. The text you want to eliminate will remain highlighted. Then, just hit "delete" on your keyboard and it's gone.

Be careful not to delete the "Quote" tags. And be sure to delete superfluous tags.

I hope that helps.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Wink More Prestige

I thank Jim Porter for furnishing Helpful vcode Hints. Armed with such helpful hints my posts should suddenly become more dramatic . Thanks again for picking this up from my follow-up to Warren. Jim/NY
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: More Prestige

Quote:
I thank Jim Porter for furnishing Helpful vcode Hints. Armed with such helpful hints my posts should suddenly become more dramatic . Thanks again for picking this up from my follow-up to Warren. Jim/NY
Sincerely my pleasure, Jim.

When you get the knack of vbcodes, you can check out irt.org's HTML tutorial It's not any more complicated than vbcode, and you can eventually merge the two on this forum so that you expedite your typing time. Just make sure you do not use both vbcode and HTML to do the same function.

Besides, HTML is fun because that's when you can make PRETTY COLORS!
Old Thu Feb 22, 2001, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Cool Ruminant Rumbling

I do not consider ADMIN keeping a TOPIC board on topic censorship at all. I have no problem, in fact I PREFER it. It takes too much time weeding through the B.S., I'd prefer that all notes were about the topic.. Baseball Umpiring (good and bad).

But what is this @#% about Mr. Peter Osborne having his persona and ID deleted?? This is what I understand.. if not true, I'm sorry.

If Pete (who is an umpire with intelligence and writing skill) is not welcome here, then NO EWS member participate.

Then, who is going to point out what the Emperor is wearing??

Mike Branch
Member, Founder
EWS
Old Thu Feb 22, 2001, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

As the camel's nose protrudes into the tent...

Mike:

1. This is where the trouble may begin. It is fine to disagree with anyone's opinion, even "authoritative" opinion. It is great to point out differences. It has been made clear, however, by the management of the Forum, that name calling, labeling and bringing personalities and personal issues into the mix will not be tolerated.

2. EWS use of "the Emperor" and whatever "he" wears is thinly disguised and known to management as a slur or personal comment on a poster. As such, it is not welcome here. The formation of and namming of EWS itself were, apparently, done for no other reason than to antagonize a poster. That may or may not be within the forum guidelines, but it does seem a little silly and "youthful" for mature umpires.

3. It is my understanding that Mr. Osborne has allegedly been the author a large number of posts that were deemed either offensive or beyond the bounds of Forum policy and that he ignored warnings to cease such posts. As Brad stipulated yesterday, in certain cases the deletion of registration will follow the deletion of posts and threads.

4. If certain posters chose not to participate here, it would be unfortunate. It has become apparent that there will be a level of discourse found here that is not often or readily found elsewhere on the internet.

GB
Old Thu Feb 22, 2001, 03:00pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Re: Warren . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
I would support a skin-heads right to speak of digusting forms of racial hatred, or homo-phobic rap music since it will allow others to speak of important and supportive ideals.
I totally agree. People can say whatever they want...

Just not here.

Old Thu Feb 22, 2001, 03:06pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Jim,

I simply want to point out two things:

1) This is not "my" board. I am, however, the Technical Director of RightSports and as part of my job I have to respond to complaints regarding posts on this forum.

2) EVERYONE is welcome on this board as long as they participate following the guidelines.

I hope that you understand that if ANY person has a habit of posting personal attacks and flames the board becomes unmanagable. The only option is to delete that poster.

If someone that has been deleted believes that he can return under the forum guidelines, they are welcome.

Please understand that this is a professional business - not a hobby. As such, we must take into consideration our approach to ensure that our professional image is maintained.

Thanks,
Brad

Old Thu Feb 22, 2001, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Jim Mills wrote:
"Even if you vehemently disagree with Peter's, or anyone else's, positions, you can't expose the weaknesses of them if they are suppressed.

Jim, I don't know if exposing "the weaknesses" of Peter's positions is anyone's goal. And they certainly haven't been suppressed. You may find them at McGriff's and Eteamz, two boards to which posters have an equal access.

Mr. Osborne has stated numerous times that he enjoys "stirring things up" more than posting factual information. He has also stated how much he likes to "yank the chains" of other posters.

was welcomed on this board and one might welcome him in your home. The rules and expectations of behavior were explained. He repeatedly violated those despite warnings. I don't know about you, but if someone can't behave in my home, I ask him to leave.

Management has posted its policy and Brad has stipulated the consequences of violation. That leaves us all with the choice of following the policy or experiencning the consequences.

Peter has chosen the latter.

This board has put a priority on civility. Again, there are other boards that have not. I understand that Peter posts on at least one of them.

I believe that discussion on this board will rise to a higher level of both accuracy and disagreement without rancor than it would have with. I believe people will be more willing to continue to put forth a position and come back more often to support and enhance it knowing that they will not be the subject of personal attacks for having done so.

I know that it has been tried the other way, and I find the results lacking.

This approach hasn't been tried by any board long enough to see what can happen. I hope Brad continues to allow us to find out.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2001, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: As the camel's nose protrudes into the tent...

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
EWS use of "the Emperor" and whatever "he" wears is thinly disguised and known to management as a slur or personal comment on a poster
Ah, Man!! But it is just so DAMN FUNNY!! But... I will understand that "some" may consider the word "emperor" to be offensive... hold on, I am laughing too hard.... ok, I'm back.

OK... even though a person who I have shunned has called me specifically on this forum recently
IDIOT and
BRAINLESS (although, as I have said, I like that!)

I hereby pledge to not type the word EMPEROR again on Eumpire. Perhaps a certain someone may want to take note of the words above and purge them from his list.(However, my associates continue to espouse the principles of our organization, righting wrongs, seeking truth, exposing injustice, lowering taxes, etc).

Mike Branch
Member, Founder
EWS
Old Thu Feb 22, 2001, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

B.J.M. writes: Ah, Man!! But it is just so DAMN FUNNY!!

Labelling others isn't about humor. It's about power. It is saying: "I'm strong enough to re-name you."

It's about creating a convenient way to demonstrate one's hatred towards another. It is saying: "All the evil I feel for you can be wrapped up in this one word."

It is about ignorance. It is saying: "Stay away from us, we don't understand you."

We aren't talking endearing nicknames here. This isn't the same as petnames husbands,wives,lovers may have for one another.

This is the beginning of something ugly.

(Forgive me Brad)

This is in the class of Admin Edit - (Insert nasty epithet here).....

The words coined by a certain group of people on the internet: emperor, buttsnuffler, peterkisser....are just as mean and ugly. No one can honestly say they are meant to be humorous to those who are targeted.

Klan members find "coon" humorous. Black people do not. Skin heads find "kike" humorous. Jewish people do not.

GB

[Edited by Admin on Feb 22nd, 2001 at 04:53 PM]
Closed Thread