View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 21, 2001, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
If and when the management feels the guidelines are not appropriately adhered to, can they not simply remove the affected words (such are "bleeped" in other media)? Why must the entire effort of the post be lost? Should we need to maintain copies of all posts? I certainly find that necessary at this point in time. (I, BTW, have had only one board ever delete or censor my posts). Will you provide copies the authors or their posts after you have deleted them? Perhaps if the posts are not becoming this board they can then be posted elsewhere. That could be positive advertising for eUmpire, if in fact, these are poor and unworthy posts. The trash can go elsewhere.
Steve,

I don't expect this thread will last. If it does, I think you need to understand a couple of things about this board and its owners.

1. This is a moderated board, but the moderator apparently doesn't have the time to read every word of every post before it is posted. [The software allows for that but that feature is not enabled]

2. The moderator apparently doesn't have the time to read every word of every post even after they have been posted.

3. Censorship of inappropriate content at the "word" level becomes practically impossible after a certain number of usages of the offending words in a post. The post has to go instead.

4. Censorship of inappropriate content at the "post" level becomes practically impossible after a certain number of posts of offending material. The thread has to go instead.

5. The only reasonable arbiter of inappropriate content is the impartial arbiter. That is why the owners moderate the board, and not the editors or the staff. To suggest bias here is not being fair, Bfair. I have had MY posts censored too. Unfortunately I can no longer prove that because the threads themselves had to be lopped. I can understand why, even though it meant I lost the "work" of my own posts (I don't keep copies of all posts either).

6. Attacking the messenger will ALWAYS draw a reaction. Whether you attack the person, their "style" or their "attitude" as you perceive it from their posts. I called Moose's ideas "idiotic", which should be okay according to your ethics, yet you and the rest of EWS started flaming me for allegedly attacking Moose! Someone even complained to the moderator that I was attacking his customers. Using your logic and ethics, why should I have been held responsible for what another poster perceives?

7. The sole expressed purpose of this board is to discuss baseball officiating and baseball issues that relate to officiating. Even discussing the Forum guidelines is NOT an appropriate topic on this board. That is presumably why the moderator closed his thread reiterating those guidelines. They are NOT a topic for discussion.

Steve, I personally want this board to be a flame-free zone. If it is flames you want, McGriff's is still alive and literally "kicking". Flames and flamers have caused me to give up on 2 other boards. I don't want to see this one become a free-for-all. The rules have been there from the start. Most of the flamers have not. I applaud the owners for using whatever means are necessary to keep this board clean.

Cheers,